Redskins hire Doug Williams for front office role

a1b70f1c24c13edb1460fb6966351f73 AP

Last month, reports out of Washington indicated that the Redskins would bring Doug Williams back to the organization in a front office role.

Those reports were on the monry. The Redskins announced that they have hired Williams as a personnel executive who will work with General Manager Bruce Allen and the rest of the front office to build the roster in Washington.

“It’s great to be home again,” Williams said in a statement from the team. “It also is great to be affiliated with a G.M. and coach who are so focused and dedicated to winning. I have only one mission: to help this team obtain the talent it needs so the fans can experience the Super Bowl they deserve.”

Williams worked with Allen in the Tampa front office in between his stints as the head coach of the Grambling football team, the second of which ended when he was fired last September. Williams, who was a 1978 first-round pick by the Bucs, also played four years for the Redskins in the late 1980s. That tenure included a victory over the Broncos in Super Bowl XXII with Williams taking home the Super Bowl MVP trophy for his efforts.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
13 Responses to “Redskins hire Doug Williams for front office role”
  1. doctorrustbelt says: Feb 10, 2014 9:44 AM

Name change.

2. metalman5150 says: Feb 10, 2014 9:45 AM

Congrats and best of luck to Doug Williams.
    HTTR

3. h3min1230 says: Feb 10, 2014 9:50 AM

I lol’d.

4. jjb0811 says: Feb 10, 2014 9:56 AM

Excellent! Loved that man since obliterating a high powered, heavily favored, 1st ballot HOF QB Den team. Huh, similar as this year!

5. tmac4454 says: Feb 10, 2014 10:08 AM

The first brother who won the SB as a QB when the MAN said that the brothers could not be elite at that level. Always overcome BS from the MAN!!!!!!

6. snookau says: Feb 10, 2014 10:21 AM

Washington… where crappy Buccaneer hires go to die.

Allen, Morris, Williams. All garbage.

7. tmatic74 says: Feb 10, 2014 10:26 AM

Congrats!!!

8. blackqbwhiterb says: Feb 10, 2014 11:15 AM

Okay Doug….. Fired by Grambling and now you’re going to pick the roster in Washington….. If he couldn’t build a winner at a small college, I dunno…. Obviously I’m pulling for him because I’m pulling for The Redskins, but….

9. skins1970 says: Feb 10, 2014 12:22 PM

@Snookau Doug Williams is the best QB that Tampa Bay has ever had no one so to say he was garbage is just dumb.

10. skins1970 says: Feb 10, 2014 12:22 PM

BTW Welcome back to the Skins it’s nice to have you back with us!

11. rajbais says: Feb 10, 2014 3:52 PM

Tampa reunion in DC.

He worked in Tampa’s front office before going to Grambling.

12. tiger2471 says: Feb 10, 2014 5:47 PM

I’m definitely happy to have Doug back, the guy should’ve been with Washington in the first place, I mean he is a superbowl MVP for God sake!

13. defscottyb says: Feb 15, 2014 3:38 AM

blackqbwhiterb says: Feb 10, 2014 11:15 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    He’s not going to be picking the roster… I bet you dollars to donuts he was hired because he is a minority and also a super bowl winning quarterback for the Skins (the first black quarterback to win a super bowl. I bet you his role will include defending the great name Washington Redskins against some of this fake outrage against them. Hiring him helps the cause of defending the name especially with Ray Halbritter’s (CEO of the Oneida, Inc.) new “polls” in the DC area (where the majority of folks living there are African American. There is some PR going on with this hire no doubt but I like it and I like Doug Williams. He is a class act and a Redskins hero. It’s deeper than you think.