Ray Farmer called his shot with “redefine history books” remark

crystal-ball_1212743c Getty Images

Now that the Browns have made a seismic change to their front office, it’s worth remembering what led up to today’s ouster of CEO Joe Banner and General Manager Mike Lombardi.

And in hindsight, it’s obvious new G.M. Ray Farmer knew what was coming.

A week ago, Farmer said the Browns were “in a position to redefine the history books.”

“I knew what I had here,” Farmer said. “I know what I think is going to happen here, and I know what we have in place. So to that degree, the known is better than the unknown.”

That was in the context of his turning down the Dolphins G.M. job, so it stands to reason he backed out for a reason.

So while today’s news is huge, it also speaks to the fact that owner Jimmy Haslam was willing to identify a problem and deal with it swiftly.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Ray Farmer called his shot with “redefine history books” remark”
  1. touchdownroddywhite says: Feb 11, 2014 10:15 AM

I almost brought this up in the other article. He definitely had a good talk with Jimmy when he decided to stay. No way his comments are a coincidence.

2. philliampenn says: Feb 11, 2014 10:19 AM

I would have took the dolphins job.

3. joemammy says: Feb 11, 2014 10:19 AM

I can’t say that I knew this was why Farmer re-upped with the Browns…but I hoped it would turn out this way…

Congratulations Ray! Go get ‘em…

4. audient says: Feb 11, 2014 10:23 AM

Mix up some kool-aid, I’m ready to drink!

GO BROWNS!

5. thestrategyexpert says: Feb 11, 2014 10:29 AM

Sounds good, that’s what CLE needed was a real visionary that has plans to do something to make history and to standout from everybody else. They have the talk and attitude down, but is Farmer the right person to execute and deliver on that?

6. seatownballers says: Feb 11, 2014 10:32 AM

Did the stooges get fired for announcing they’d trade anything for Manziel?

7. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Feb 11, 2014 11:04 AM

He’s going to redefine the history books? So is his plan to change a few Super Bowl outcomes to make it look like Cleveland won? Maybe a better way would be to try to make your team good so you can actually win some in the future.

8. 23chameleons says: Feb 11, 2014 11:08 AM

Chud deserved better. These 2, not so much.

9. 1rockyracoon says: Feb 11, 2014 11:12 AM

“Jimmy Haslam was willing to identify a problem and deal with it swiftly.”

He-is-the-problem! Selling the team would solve that problem. Raising your children to be Browns fans is going to be considered a form of child abuse. Cleveland is now the worse franchise in the 4 pro sports.

10. shayeezy says: Feb 11, 2014 11:26 AM

though i’m more than happy with who the chiefs have now, i was sad to see farmer leave kansas city. great football mind and leader.

11. bamj6 says: Feb 11, 2014 12:11 PM

The only reason I won’t totally laugh at how the Browns do things now is this guy. I really hope he sticks. He should’ve been doing this a year ago that’s how highly I think of Farmer

12. oldcracker says: Feb 11, 2014 12:14 PM

I had wondered why Farmer had not taken the opportunity to get out of the circus. Good.

Best of luck, Ray!!!