Andre Johnson likes Johnny Manziel, but would trade top pick

Tennessee Titans v Houston Texans Getty Images

If it was up to veteran wide receiver Andre Johnson, the Texans wouldn’t use the first pick on the draft on anyone.

“I have thought about different scenarios. Me personally, if I had it, I would probably trade it, but that’s just my opinion,” Johnson said, via ABC 13 in Houston.

“That doesn’t make it right. Doesn’t mean they should listen to me, because I am not the GM. I have never had to sit in the draft room like that.”

Of course, the likelihood is that the Texans will use that pick, and use it on a quarterback.

Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel is a popular choice in his home state, and Johnson admits being intrigued.

“[Manziel] seems like a good kid. Very into football,” Johnson said. “He’s exciting. He’s an exciting player to watch. I enjoyed watching him in college. He doesn’t have the name Johnny Football for nothing. I think he’s a great player.”

Either way, they need to find someone to get the ball to Johnson, so as not to waste the last few prime years of the 32-year-old wideout.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Andre Johnson likes Johnny Manziel, but would trade top pick”
  1. themiamidolphins says: Feb 13, 2014 9:43 AM

Deep down, Andre Johnson probably knows that Manziel will crash and burn in the NFL.

2. realnflmaster says: Feb 13, 2014 9:52 AM

Can’t believe he’s already 32 years old…..too bad he wasted away his career with the Oilers.

3. thepancakebandit says: Feb 13, 2014 9:55 AM

Too bad for AJ he’s not in charge and doesn’t get to make that decision.

4. amazingguy101 says: Feb 13, 2014 10:02 AM

Vikings need to step up and get (franchise) QB here

5. glb020971 says: Feb 13, 2014 10:09 AM

The greatest player in Texans history has spoken. We do not need Manziel here. We have to many other needs.

6. stonefish67 says: Feb 13, 2014 10:14 AM

He was once a great receiver.
    Too bad

7. chapmanb2014 says: Feb 13, 2014 10:18 AM

I love how Larry Fitzgerald and Johnson think they are WR/GM. Just catch the ball no matter who throws it to you.

8. r8rsfan says: Feb 13, 2014 10:22 AM

Johnny Football is going to have to go to a team with strong leadership already in place. Oakland does not have the structure he’s going to require. JJ Watt and Co. would be a much better situation because he will not be anything close to the alpha dog.

9. skinnyca3sar says: Feb 13, 2014 10:30 AM

Andre should have a little input on who he wants throwing him the rock….not saying he influences the decision with the brass but he’s their best weapon. Trade the pick and take a pocket QB.

10. robf2010 says: Feb 13, 2014 10:59 AM

They’ll have to use that pick. Who would trade up and pay that king’s ransom and then who in this draft is worth it?

11. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Feb 13, 2014 4:19 PM

Deep down Andre Wants Johnny Football throwing him the ball. He’s just denying it to get Johnny Football to try harder…

Either way I want them to draft Johnny Football. I’m ready to see that happen for the next 4 years. Idk if it’ll be a great outcome or not but it’ll be cool to see.

12. cfos00 says: Feb 13, 2014 4:59 PM

And that is how someone who has done thousands of interviews gives an opinion that can be taken several ways, offends no one, and manages to sound very professional. Well played, sir.

13. qbagwell says: Feb 15, 2014 1:55 PM

He’s probably right , even if they want Manziel ,trade down to a team that wants Clowney for a 2nd or 3rd pick . Have your cake and Edith too.