Gunther Cunningham wants to stay in Detroit, go out a winner

Gunther Cunningham AP

Gunther Cunningham decided stay in Detroit despite being replaced as the Lions’ defensive coordinator in large part because he thinks he can finish his career in Detroit, and go out on top.

Cunningham told the Lions’ website that when former Lions coach Jim Schwartz and most of his staff were fired after the 2013 season, Cunningham was hoping there was a way he could stick around.

“When things ended I wanted to stay here. I came here to do the job and it was going to be my last job one way or another. I want to go out as a winner. It’s really important to me,” Cunningham said.

“I talked with T.A. about what he wanted and then when I talked to Jim the second or third time he asked me about the offense,” Cunningham said. “He could see the smile on my face. One thing a defensive coach knows about is offense. That’s what offensive coaches try to dissect and hopefully I can be of help to Joe in that area and Jim himself.”

It’s an unusual arrangement for a coordinator on the staff of a fired coach to stick around with a new title, but having an old pro like Cunningham around can’t hurt for the Lions.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Gunther Cunningham wants to stay in Detroit, go out a winner”
  1. thevikesarebest says: Feb 13, 2014 7:24 PM

That going out a winner thing is never going to happen with that bottom of the barrel pathetic lions franchise.come to the vikings and you would be apart of a dynasty.SKOL

2. Dennis Allen's Outgoing Persona says: Feb 13, 2014 7:26 PM

Al Saunders stuck around in Oakland with a new title after Hue was fired. What I don’t understand is why he’s still on the staff after the offensive plummeted when knapp took his job.

3. staffordsyear says: Feb 13, 2014 7:27 PM

I like the move.

4. jayquintana says: Feb 13, 2014 7:27 PM

Isn’t this like a movie director saying he wants to work with Adam Sandler and win Oscars?

5. tremoluxman says: Feb 13, 2014 7:31 PM

” . . . because he thinks he can finish his career in Detroit, and go out on top.”

Yeah, good luck with that.

6. iamthegreatcornflorio says: Feb 13, 2014 7:35 PM

Gunther also commented abut how much he would like to sign Tyson Jackson away from the Chiefs.

7. atwatercrushesokoye says: Feb 13, 2014 7:38 PM

So which is it, does he want to stay in Detroit or go out a winner?

8. noeffinway says: Feb 13, 2014 7:39 PM

He also mentioned that he is in the twilight of his NFL career and had always envisioned finishing it out in a position such as was offered him by the Lions. It has been reported that he has a very analytical mind and is a a guru when it comes to compiling useful data and evaluations on draft prospects and free agents.
    Go Gunny!

9. willnit says: Feb 13, 2014 7:45 PM

Hey roger! You sure the Vikings can’t go to LA?

10. winninaintsinnin says: Feb 13, 2014 8:15 PM

Gunther, which is it?

Do you want to stay in Detroit?

Or do you want to go out a winner?

11. rubenxx7 says: Feb 13, 2014 8:21 PM

Just go away your defense sucked in detroit and kc

12. aldante66 says: Feb 13, 2014 8:25 PM

His twilight was 20 years ago, what a bum. Dump him. With the draft picks he was givin they should have been in the superbowl.

13. ivanpavlov0000 says: Feb 13, 2014 8:27 PM

This is a good move for Detroit and for Gunther. Supposedly he’s a good one to have in the war room on draft day.

14. bcajun says: Feb 13, 2014 8:32 PM

Detroit?? Seriously…I-M-P-O-S-I-A-B-L-E

15. zeeman911 says: Feb 13, 2014 8:37 PM

With a name like Gunther he has to be good!

16. lks311 says: Feb 13, 2014 8:40 PM

bcajun says:
    Feb 13, 2014 8:32 PM
    Detroit?? Seriously…I-M-P-O-S-I-A-B-L-E
    —–
    We’ve all written your handle down and we, now, know that it is impossible—that’s:
    I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E—to ever take you serious, again.

Officially on the, Pay No Mind, list.

17. djshnooks says: Feb 13, 2014 9:04 PM

“One thing a defensive coach knows is offense…”

Well, that’s good…maybe that’s why he was fired from defensive coordinator. Lol. At least he thinks he knows something.

Glad Schwartz didn’t bring this buffoon to Buffalo with him…much rather have Pepper Johnson as a defensive assistant.

18. therooneyskilledwebster says: Feb 13, 2014 9:09 PM

A wise man once said you can’t have your cake and eat it too. And his name wasn’t Gunther.

19. wtfchiefs says: Feb 13, 2014 9:48 PM

Gunther is awesome. I’d like to see him go out a winner.

20. sumkat says: Feb 13, 2014 10:38 PM

Gunther Cunningham wants to stay in Detroit, go out a winner

It’s one or the other. Both is an impossibility

21. ogrady612 says: Feb 14, 2014 4:31 AM

Cunningham gets fired and then rehired..Cunningham will help the new coaching staff with game planning and also help the personnel department with evaluations, and he said he believes he’s well suited to helping the entire staff, including new defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, new head coach Jim Caldwell and new offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi..Game planning what a joke..What hell has he been doing for past 3 yrs..

22. arrowdead says: Feb 14, 2014 5:37 AM

has he ever coached a premier defense? ever?? game has passed him by, and really, he was never that sharp in the first place. those yellow glasses and curse word blowups r his most crowning achievement.

23. pshark5 says: Feb 14, 2014 9:26 AM

Gunther is like a Cubs fan, ever optimistic until reality punches them in the face.