Chris Boyd will tell NFL teams, “I’m not a bad guy”

chrisboyd AP

Former Vanderbilt wide receiver Chris Boyd was kicked off the team last year for attempting to cover up an alleged rape by four teammates. But Boyd, who will attend the Scouting Combine, says he’s ready to explain himself to NFL teams.

I know the questions are coming,” Boyd told the Tennessean. “And I am ready to tell my side of what happened, and it will clear up a lot of the misconceptions about what really did happen. I know everyone is going to want to know about it, and I understand that.”

Boyd says that if NFL coaches, scouts and executives get to know him, they’ll see that he’s a good person.

“I was raised to be polite and have manners. If I just be myself, I think people will understand that I am a good guy, I come from a good family, and I mean well,” Boyd said. “I would never want to hurt anybody or do anything harmful to anyone. I think once people get to know me and spend some time around me, it will be pretty obvious. I’m not a bad guy.”

Boyd entered a conditional guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of being an accessory after the fact and was sentenced to probation, and some NFL teams may decide that alone is enough to indicate that he’s not the kind of guy they want on their team. Boyd is just hoping one team will take a chance on him.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Chris Boyd will tell NFL teams, “I’m not a bad guy””
  1. exboomer says: Feb 14, 2014 7:43 AM

People make mistakes and since Boyd wasn’t directly involved in the rape he should be given a chance to play in the NFL.

2. dryzzt23 says: Feb 14, 2014 7:44 AM

Yeah right…NFL teams are not stupid. I hope they ignore this guy so that he suffers the full consequences of his actions. He should have THOUGHT about the ramifications of what he and his “homies” did BEFORE he did it.
    His intentions and family background are immaterial int his case. A woman was raped and he covered it up to show his “loyalty” to teammates. What if that woman was his sister, his mother, or his daughter, would he STILL cover it up? I would hope not but his actions speak much louder than his words.

3. stealthscorpio says: Feb 14, 2014 7:45 AM

Yeah, he’s not NFL material…misdemeanors are so college…it’s not the NML…its the NFL…N-Felony-L…

4. pfic15 says: Feb 14, 2014 7:50 AM

No, Chris. If those allegations are true, you’re WORSE.

5. wishingtonredslur says: Feb 14, 2014 7:54 AM

A team without cheerleaders or other female employees.

6. jessejames182 says: Feb 14, 2014 7:58 AM

It’s cool. at least he’s not gay. *sarcasm*

7. touchdownroddywhite says: Feb 14, 2014 8:01 AM

Doesn’t this Boyd kid know anything? You have to win a SB before the NFL will over look rape related allegations…

8. patriotsdefense says: Feb 14, 2014 8:03 AM

Future headline: “In the 7th round the Patriots select WR Chris Boyd.”

9. scoreatwill says: Feb 14, 2014 8:06 AM

Give the guy a chance. Just because he tried to cover up a crime and obstruct justice doesn’t mean he isn’t an up standing citizen. Who knows, he may go on to win multiple super bowl rings, get a job at ESPN, be an NFL spokesman. He wouldn’t be the first!

10. anonymous135 says: Feb 14, 2014 8:42 AM

Remorse is part of owning up, not deflection.

You are who you are, own it. Learn from it…

If it’s not who you are, why did YOU do it?

11. johnnyb1976 says: Feb 14, 2014 8:45 AM

Sounds like a steeler to me, he has a lot to learn from Ben.

12. winninaintsinnin says: Feb 14, 2014 9:12 AM

Proven himself.

Could become an integral part of Ben’s posse.

13. shlort says: Feb 14, 2014 12:59 PM

Guy owns up to his mistakes and people still condemn him? He has paid what he owes to society for his mistake.

A misdemeanor crime. Not like he killed someone, molested kids or raped anyone. He basically covered for some guys who were accused of something and lied to do it.