Incognito, Pouncey suggested retaliation in text exchange about Martin

Pouncey AP

That sound you hear in the distance could be the evaporation of any team’s potential interest in Richie Incognito.

While trudging through the 144-page Ted Wells report (here’s a tip — start at the bottom and work your way up), I found at page 133 a significant text-message exchange between Dolphins guard Richie Incognito and Dolphins center Mike Pouncey.

It happened after reports surfaced that Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin was bullied and harassed primarily by Incognito, and after Incognito had reached out to Martin and expressed support for him.

Here’s the exchange, with the profane language sanitized:

Incognito:  F–k Jmart That f—t is never back

Pouncey:  Bro I said the same thing I can’t even look at him the same he’s a pussy

Incognito:  My agent just said if we held mandatory strip club meetings Jmart is f–king ratting on everyone

Pouncey:  Lol wow are you serious he is a f–k boy

Pouncey:  He’s not welcome back bro I can’t be around that f–king guy

Incognito:  F–k that guy if Ur not with [u]s Ur against us

Pouncey:  No question bro he’s a coward for snitching

Incognito:  Snitches get stiches Blood in blood out F–king guy

Pouncey:  He’s dead to me

So while the text messages exchanged between Incognito and Martin — which Incognito admitted to Wells had been promptly leaking to Jeff Darlington of NFL Network — painted one picture about their relationship, the text messages exchanged by and between Incognito and Pouncey show a more troubling truth.

The two men held a grudge against Martin for being a “snitch,” and they discussed (if not planned) to retaliate against him in some way.Which won’t be good for Incognito or Pouncey.

Permalink 86 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
86 Responses to “Incognito, Pouncey suggested retaliation in text exchange about Martin”
  1. acebuccs08 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:21 AM

Feels like the caveman talk with all those texts.

2. clean187 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:21 AM

Well, if you thought you were friends with Martin, wouldn’t you hold a grudge after you’d been called a racist and an extortionist in the press?

Gotta admit, them vowing to “freeze out” Martin after all this doesn’t seem out of line. And I seriously doubt the “snitches get stitches line was literal”. My 6 six year old said it last week. It didn’t mean he was going to beat the crap out of his brother. It’s just a saying.

I think people are taking these words between guys in text messages waaaaaayyyyy to literally.

3. ctiggs says: Feb 14, 2014 11:22 AM

i love it

4. bucrightoff says: Feb 14, 2014 11:22 AM

Actually what this proves is pretty much no one respected or liked Martin, not just Incognito.

It also ends any talk of this being a racial thing. Pouncey, last time I checked, was black and he’s agreeing with Incognito.

5. upperdecker19 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:22 AM

Happy valentines day from the 2013 Miami Dolphins. Love is in the air!

6. gward90 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:22 AM

What losers these guys are all of them.

7. louhudson23 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:23 AM

Mental midgets…

8. eatitfanboy says: Feb 14, 2014 11:23 AM

Anyone have any idea why Pouncey seems to be skating on this?

9. hareluya724 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:24 AM

I’m not sure how this quoted exchange suggests any kind of wrongdoing on their part (although there are probably some really bad ones in the report that do show that). Lashing out at the person who is perceived to have backstabbed is very natural to me. Otherwise, the conversation would’ve been like this:

Incognito: man..Jmart ratted us out..but he’s still my best friend..how about you?
    Pouncey: yea. that jerk. we’re still BFFs though
    Incognito: yea, let’s not do anything whatsoever
    Pouncey: Agreed!

10. maverick0 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:24 AM

In what part of that text exchange do you read “retaliate” against JMart?

11. accipiterq says: Feb 14, 2014 11:25 AM

Wait where did they plan to retaliate against him? I see nothing in there where they say they’re going to attack him…..They’re saying he’s not welcome back because he left the team on account of not being able to handle 8th grade locker-room mockery, and went and snitched.

I mean, say what you will about incognito, pouncey, etc….but honestly what do you THINK they were going to say “Oh hey, Martin snitched on us for doing the same stuff HE was doing as well….I can’t wait to see that guy again and hug it out”

STILL haven’t heard how it’s ok for Martin to say he was going to kill Richie’s family…or the fact that he was still talking to Incognito after he left the team, and even thanked him for his support in text messages. How on Earth does the report NOT mention that, and assuming it doesn’t how does anyone actually take this thing to be anything other than the NFL going into CYA mode to avoid the anti-bullying wrath.

12. ctiggs says: Feb 14, 2014 11:26 AM

LMAO sounds like me and my friends 24/7 this is how we talk people!!

13. mataug says: Feb 14, 2014 11:26 AM

I will be honest. I’ve seen worse in college friend circles and none of us were even athletes!

14. minnesnowda says: Feb 14, 2014 11:26 AM

This is sad that the young fans of these teams, see this side of football and will think it’s ok.

15. prideof10000lakes says: Feb 14, 2014 11:29 AM

I’d say the same thing if Jonathan Martin threw me under the bus like that.

I don’t see much of a threat other than “Snitches get stitches”

16. tommymomoney says: Feb 14, 2014 11:30 AM

Big Deal. J Martin is soft.

17. sc711 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:31 AM

If that guy plays anywhere, for any team, the G.M. is getting it every day from me.

18. beavertonsteve says: Feb 14, 2014 11:33 AM

Do you know how many people say “snitches get stiches”? It’s a stupid saying, but it doesn’t mean there will actually be a physical attack on someone.

Plus, Pouncey’s main hitman is already locked up.

19. tribeallica says: Feb 14, 2014 11:35 AM

The texts show the guys were disappointed that they had a snitch. They felt Martin betrayed the brotherhood of football. Lineman are badasses. Of course they are pissed. That’s a normal reaction when a teammate turns on another teammate. I still think Incognito will get a job. Martin is the one that will have issues b/c of his reputation as a snitch.

20. kevo95 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:35 AM

Wow major problems in this organization
    Sounds like the O line is a prejudice bunch

21. ratsfoiledagain says: Feb 14, 2014 11:37 AM

Two idiots complaining about another idiot.

How rich….

22. freeigwebuike says: Feb 14, 2014 11:38 AM

Maybe they were just joking.

23. salmen76 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:40 AM

Much ado about nothing. We have players playing in the NFL that have taken human life. And nobody EVER complained about that. NFL players weren’t hired to sing in the local choir. From my perspective they were ALL acting immature but committed no crime. The NFL likes to try and CREATE news. Even bad news for some reason (Saints pseudo bounty scandal). I hope the Saints sign Incognito. We need his nastiness on our O line to blow holes for Ingram and protect Brees. It is what it is. If ya don’t like the behavior of NFL players then don’t watch or follow it. It’s just that simple. That’s why they have a channel knob on TV sets. Geaux Saints!

24. guachosporlife says: Feb 14, 2014 11:40 AM

As the stomach turns.

25. kordogg says: Feb 14, 2014 11:41 AM

Our Heroes! Likeable, Warm, forgiving, graceful, eloquent, and delightful human beings of outstanding character. True gentlemen. Watch and learn from these two class acts and maybe one day we all can aspire to become even a little like these two proud individuals. Bravo and good show gentlemen!

26. truthfactory says: Feb 14, 2014 11:43 AM

When one of your “peers” goes blabbing about the inner workings and activities of what goes on in the “brotherhood” of an NFL locker room and teammates, then this is the exact type of reaction I would expect.

If one of my buds started blabbing to the media (lets assume anyone would even care) about stuff we did to make us all look bad- I’d probably react the same… If not worse.

27. truthfactory says: Feb 14, 2014 11:45 AM

What would an alternative reaction be??

“Hey Mike, did you see J mart is throwing under the bus to make us look bad? That upsets me”

“Me too Rich. That is so unfortunate. We were all so close. Oh well, I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors”.

Please! This text exchange is how most buds would talk if put in that same boat… Especially 95% of football players.

28. wishingtonredslur says: Feb 14, 2014 11:46 AM

You have no honor.

29. jimbo75025 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:48 AM

That’s it? In some regards, I have heard worse out of the mouths of high school girls.

The snitches and blood in/blood out lines? Please-those are the two cliche lines in every gangster movie/show made in the last 20 years. Not saying this makes either Incognito or Pouncey look like great guys, but did you expect West Side Story quotes?

30. open1337 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:52 AM

Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me……
    This sentiment is reflected in the common law of civil assault, which holds that mere name-calling does not give rise to a cause of action, while putting someone in fear of physical violence does.

31. xpensivewinos says: Feb 14, 2014 11:53 AM

Yup. This team is real close to winning a Super Bowl. Lookin’ good……

32. eessppnn says: Feb 14, 2014 11:54 AM

Being from Boston I can tell you both Pouncy’s are in trouble with the Florida/Hernandez case and will be snitching themselves for reduced sentences!!

33. justintuckrule says: Feb 14, 2014 11:56 AM

The NFL employs sex offenders, murderers, drunk drivers, unlicensed gun owners, child support cheats and a host of others. Unfortunately….name calling…..gets you the death sentence in this league (being blackballed). Good work Rog.

34. username5891 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:57 AM

A lot of people here have never been around an environment like this.

35. staticphear says: Feb 14, 2014 11:58 AM

Is this the worst thing they can find? If that is it then resign Incognito.

36. heyguru1969 says: Feb 14, 2014 11:58 AM

College Graduates all. I’ll bet their Alma Maters are proud of how they represent their scholastic achievements. Generation Hashtag.

37. realfootballfan says: Feb 14, 2014 12:05 PM

Looks like the Dolphins will need to replace every offensive lineman at least at the beginning of the season because Pouncy’s getting suspended at the least. Not to mention his entanglement with Hernandez on top of all this. What a mess, but Joe Philbin is right on top of all things Dolphins according to Stephen Ross from his helicopter in London.

38. unclebluck says: Feb 14, 2014 12:07 PM

Lets see…your in trouble for texting harassing messages (among other things)…..so what do you do?….send more text messages (to each other) further implicating yourselves……what a couple of dopes!

39. abninf says: Feb 14, 2014 12:09 PM

Anyway. Come to Dallas, Richie. We need you.

40. eatitfanboy says: Feb 14, 2014 12:10 PM

All I can say is thank God texting didn’t exist when I was these guys’ age. The stuff me and my friends said to each other IN PRIVATE, which is what text messages are supposed to be, would have made me sound like an animal, which I assure you I wasn’t.

I am not excusing what happened here, but please keep in mind that when they are texting these things, they are intending them only for the eyes of someone who knows them very well and understands the context in which it is being said.

41. Fantasy Football Consultant says: Feb 14, 2014 12:10 PM

Those that get caught up in this being bullying are weak minded over sympathetic, and irrational

42. Fantasy Football Consultant says: Feb 14, 2014 12:10 PM

Wait, maybe now I’m bullying.

43. igotgamenj says: Feb 14, 2014 12:11 PM

The thing about Jonathan Martin is he Stinks can’t block to save his life.

44. calkinsrob says: Feb 14, 2014 12:11 PM

LOL who talks like this.

45. webofbelief says: Feb 14, 2014 12:17 PM

I’m relatively netural on this matter, but I’m curious to know how Wells was able to obtain text messages between Incognito and Pouncey? I doubt they were under any obligation to make those available.

46. willycents says: Feb 14, 2014 12:18 PM

I believe the main disconnect here is the communication gap between the white collar group and the blue collar group. Work any construction site, truck driving job, basically any place blue collar workers inhabit, and you will hear very similar talk. Contrast that with the white collar workplace, that language is likely never heard. The shock exhibited by the white collar people at this language is understandable; they never hear it.
    Please don’t read the texts my 13 yo grandson sends to his friends, you would be appalled, makes these exchanges sound like a sunday church sermon.

47. johnz59 says: Feb 14, 2014 12:18 PM

I guarantee you this nonsense doesn’t go on in the Seahawks locker room, the Broncos locker room, the Patriots Locker Room or the locker room of any other serious contender in the NFL. This points as much to a Philbin problem as anything else.

48. chiadam says: Feb 14, 2014 12:18 PM

Why don’t these two grow up a little and quit living life like frat boy meatheads? Does every text have to include “ur” or “bro”?
    Moving on, what is the sound of something evaporating?

49. chiadam says: Feb 14, 2014 12:20 PM

And enough with the gangster talk. They’re not gangsters. They wear tights to work.

50. koakiemac says: Feb 14, 2014 12:26 PM

If a person screams out he snitched us out (not lied on us). That means that they are guilty of what they are accuse of. This is a workplace, similar to where we go to (a dream job that pays a whole lot better) and work. Expecting people to respect us and allow us to do our job without interference in any form or fashion. I think all these men should be held accountable for their actions. Mike Pouncey is a sell out! Who gave him the right to authorize the right for someone to say the n word! I know his parents are very proud of him (just in case you are reading Mike that’s sarcasm and your four fathers are turning in their graves) for all he’s done for his culture.

51. bluntsmokinskinsfan says: Feb 14, 2014 12:27 PM

That’s nothing two friends wouldn’t say to each other. None of you guys have ever said you “wanted to kill” your boss? Get over it people. Martin is soft, and he deserves to be treated as such

52. jlinatl says: Feb 14, 2014 12:27 PM

This exchange itself is hardly explosive. I would bet most of the people on this site have exchanges in their text history that they wouldn’t want out there.

That being said, Incognito is a low life and Pouncey (insert support for Hernandez here) is as well.

53. granadafan says: Feb 14, 2014 12:33 PM

I never thought Incognito was a racist. He’s a bully by every definition in the book, a dirty player, and a mental midget who has no business leading a team.

54. rayguyreturns says: Feb 14, 2014 12:33 PM

More evidence the movie “Idiocracy” is upon us.

55. midtec2005 says: Feb 14, 2014 12:34 PM

Seconding someone elses question, how did they obtain the text messages? Was a search warrant issued? Maybe I missed something and they were obtained legally, but it seems like Pouncy and Incognito could have a justifiable lawsuit.

56. faultylogic29 says: Feb 14, 2014 12:37 PM

This is the kind of talk you’d hear between a lot of guys, but I don’t think that gives Incognito and Pouncey a pass.

They clearly saw that they were harming the psyche of Martin as well as another O-Lineman and only became more aggressive. There’s something wrong with that. What did they gain out of it? They clearly hurt the team even if this doesn’t go public and explodes like it has. That alone will make them guilty in the eyes of NFL teams. No good coach or GM wants that kind of presence in the locker room.

But whatever, I know you all out there in internet land are real tough guys and I’m just soft. And everybody who plays football should be real winners like Incognito and Pouncey.

57. 2dmo4 says: Feb 14, 2014 12:37 PM

Blood in, Blood out? Shut up, Incognito. You aren’t a gangsta.

58. fwippel says: Feb 14, 2014 12:41 PM

Wow. I’ll bet that’s the first time this has ever happened on an NFL team.

Is Roger Goodell willing to go back and look at the harrassment of the players who crossed the picket line during the 1987 strike?

Players who crossed the line during that strike were subjected to harrassment from their teammates once the strike was over. I remember Jim Kelly admitting as much about a teammate named Carl Byrum.

Well?

59. wickdawg7 says: Feb 14, 2014 12:43 PM

Martin is clinically depressed, which, if anyone knows someone who has been through clinical depression knows that it can be a debilitating handicap.

Picking on and exploiting someone’s handicap is about as low as it gets. Martin is not “soft” as many of you have been saying. He is dealing with a legitimate handicap. Now, you can say what you want about whether someone with a handicap like that should be playing professional football, but picking on and bullying someone with a handicap is disgusting.

60. djstangcougar says: Feb 14, 2014 12:43 PM

This isn’t a plan to retaliate against “Jmart”… they are pissed that he is a snitch. Who doesn’t hate a snitch/narc? They just wanted to have mandatory strip club meetings, is that so bad? Seriously, they are just talking trash… nothing to see here. Jmart- you shouldn’t have chosen football as a profession.

61. lanman11 says: Feb 14, 2014 12:46 PM

Looks like Pouncey had the worst things to say, but this is basically just a private conversation between boys, shortly after they found out they were being hung out to dry. Perfectly understandable. Spare me the crap about this being about changing the behavior of “the boys,” according to The Book of Oprah. Get a grip. Stop trying to make the world androgynous. Too bad Daniel Snyder doesn’t own the Dolphins, so he could sign these guys to contract extensions.

Is it just me, or is the NFL all about feminizing the sport? That’s not hate speech people. Look at the historical timeline. It might be time to find a new sport. Or is it an entertainment?

62. radrntn says: Feb 14, 2014 12:48 PM

boys will be boys, can’t expect them to be men

63. metalman5150 says: Feb 14, 2014 12:50 PM

Never mistake motion for action.

64. spiderman2014 says: Feb 14, 2014 12:51 PM

no chance martin plays another game in the
    nfl

65. jeanoroid says: Feb 14, 2014 12:53 PM

These guys are idiots – in the day of the idiot culture we all embrace so much.

66. sweetnlow44 says: Feb 14, 2014 1:03 PM

Good thing I’m not famous! If people are surprised by this and calling this exchange a threat of “retaliation,” I can’t imagine what some people would think about the texts between me and my buddies.

67. propertyofthebroncos says: Feb 14, 2014 1:05 PM

Wow. It amazes me that just people this is the NFL and therefore “manly” how people can just brush off these things. What if someone who made you uncomfortable came up and said these things and worse? There is NO way you can say you would just take it and brush it off because he’s a guy. What if someone says it to your sister, wife, girlfriend, etc? Oh wait, they’re women so it wouldn’t be okay then, but since Martin is a man he should have to take it. BS!

68. JackedUpSports says: Feb 14, 2014 1:07 PM

idiots

69. jumbomesquite says: Feb 14, 2014 1:12 PM

Is it any big mystery why Martin didn’t want to go to Vegas with these guys? Even if they liked him at the time, why would anyone want to spend time with such low class human beings?

70. blizzard01 says: Feb 14, 2014 1:13 PM

Very easy to tell someone else who is having trouble to “man up.” Even easier doing it anonymously online.

71. dolphincritic says: Feb 14, 2014 1:14 PM

We wonder why the Dolphins can’t protect the QB or develop a running game. It is because these morons are getting paid to be little text-buddy Laverne’s and Shirley’s. When Pouncey says the dude is dead, he may really mean it! Remember, Hernandez taught Pouncey how to shoot!

The new O-line coach needs to put these guys on notice and then fine them until they owe the Dolphins money! I pay good money to watch pro football and I am tired of looking at inferior performances, now that I understand the lack of character and dedication these knuckleheads possess.

72. jpb12 says: Feb 14, 2014 1:22 PM

Go Gators

73. therealraider says: Feb 14, 2014 1:24 PM

“Snitches get Stitches” has always been the Bro code. we said that back in 2nd grade.

74. metitometin says: Feb 14, 2014 1:26 PM

Pouncey expressed support for Aaron Hernendez with his ‘Free Hernandez’ T-Shirt. Pouncey expressed support for a potential triple murderer who is probably going to prison for life.

So considering this text exchange between Incognito and Pouncey, I can certainly see them getting involved in much more explicit and dangerous behavior than what they are currently being accused of.

75. brettfavresmidget says: Feb 14, 2014 1:27 PM

This furthers my argument that football players, especially linemen, are primarily rocket scientists.

76. randomguy9999 says: Feb 14, 2014 1:41 PM

all the incognito apologists are remembering the schoolyard when they were 11… which is really naive

newsflash: this is a multi million dollar business where idiots like Incognito need to shut up and do their job which is CREATING camaraderie… not destroying it to the point of having the worst line in football… for 3 years straight…

and leaving the team open to 3 or more multi million dollar lawsuits and federal and state investigations….

77. bigbamboom1 says: Feb 14, 2014 1:50 PM

Joe Philbin has a lot of questions to answer on this. Marten was on the verge of suicide. Who knows whether it was on the verge of a murderous Suicide “Rage” in that locker room. Suffice it to say; This was a crisis situation in that locker room. With the unfortunate death of his son by suicide, only a few years before in Green Bay; Philbin should have been way more sensitive to this kind of conduct/behavior/climate. He can not be proud of implementing a team culture that empowered conduct like what occurred on his watch.

Miami has a tough decision to make. And the coaches have some serious soul searching to do. That situation was much more dangerous than the media and most others are addressing here. The NFL itself must eliminate it completely.

78. r8dernation says: Feb 14, 2014 1:54 PM

I think we’ve learned that the Pouncey brothers sure don’t know how to pick friends.

79. tjacks7 says: Feb 14, 2014 2:02 PM

This text exchange only shows that they disliked Martin after he sold out Incognito. This doesn’t show any proof of bullying at. Not a big deal. I’m sure most of us would be upset if a coworker unjustly sold us out for no reason.

80. Youknowimright says: Feb 14, 2014 2:37 PM

Did Icognito really just say snitches get stiches? Ok there tupac. This isn’t south central LA. You’re on the Miami Dolphins. relax and enjoy South Beach. I’d love to see this guy with some real bad actors and watch him get quiet very quickly.

81. winninaintsinnin says: Feb 14, 2014 2:53 PM

Easy to clean up.

Suspend both, without pay, for the entire season.

I bet it gets cleaned up in a hurry.

82. realfootballfan says: Feb 14, 2014 3:11 PM

Also, not rocket scientists we’re dealing with. Let’s go text each other and talk about the guy we’re in trouble for ragging on.

83. taintedsaints2009 says: Feb 14, 2014 3:32 PM

unless Martin was physically abused or had property stolen from him, i see no problem with any of this. sometimes, people say mean things about you. deal with it. sometimes, people will simply hate your guts. better to accept that simple, simple truth than to create some anti-bullying crusade.

84. aintthenazz says: Feb 14, 2014 3:38 PM

Role models all around.

85. xinellum says: Feb 14, 2014 4:44 PM

I guess when Pouncey said he is dead to me, he was probably reliving the double murder he and Hernandez were involved in. Let’s face it, after his support of Hernandez, who is surprised. The Dolphins management is garbage and good luck to the losers who end up in this cesspit. The NFL should take the owner and GM to the wood house and clean their wallets. If this happened with any other management of any other corporation in the nation, the legal system would shut them down. Since when did playing a game make you exempt from laws and taxes. I don’t get it.

86. jrcurtis45 says: Feb 15, 2014 10:44 PM

I am really disappointed in Pouncey. It does remind me of Pouncey’s final two years at Florida. There were some issues with Easley and Floyd, who were freshmen. Easley and Floyd almost left UF because of it. It was alleged that Pouncey was verbally harassing the younger players. Now that this has come out, I believe there is some truth to the rumors. Pouncey is another creation of Urban Meyer. Meyer allowed certain players to do as they pleased and gave them authority over younger players. Incognito and Pouncey should be kicked out of the NFL.