Nate Burleson proves he gets it with how he handled release

Nate Burleson AP

Former Lions wide receiver Nate Burleson has been around long enough — and was smart enough — to know what was coming.

So when he woke up to two missed calls from the Lions offices and General Manager Martin Mayhew’s line, he knew what was coming.

So rather than worry, he rolled over in bed and continued to play with his daughter.

“I just thought to myself, ‘It’s either, or,’” Burleson told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “Maybe because I prepared myself for both, but I was like, ‘He’s either going to offer me some money or he’s going to tell me it’s been a fun run.’… I finally got up and made the call and the conversation ensued.”

Cutting Burleson and safety Louis Delmas was strictly business, as the Lions cleared $11.5 million in cap space.

The fact Burleson missed 17 games the past two seasons with injuries made it easier to weigh his financial cost above his potential stats and leadership.

“They probably just thought about the number financially and then probably thought about the season and said, ‘If Nate’s healthy, yeah, he can probably give us 70 to 80 catches, but if he’s not then it’s going to be tough to deal with,’” Burleson said. “I think it hurt the team this year when I went down. You saw a really significant drop in just how we were able to operate as an offense because I was such a big part. But it’s a hard decision for them to make, but I can’t blame them for making it.”

Burleson should be able to find work in the NFL soon, as he’s been productive when well. But if he doesn’t, there’s surely a job in the media for him somewhere, as he is one of the players who gets it, as his ability to handle the news of being released clearly displayed.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Nate Burleson proves he gets it with how he handled release”
  1. sdeweese18 says: Feb 14, 2014 8:48 AM

“proves he gets in” hahaha, great job Nate.

2. jjb0811 says: Feb 14, 2014 8:50 AM

Always been a role model. Good luck to him now & in the future.

3. iloveagoodnap says: Feb 14, 2014 9:09 AM

Would love this guy on the Bengals. A veteran who’s a leader and a solid WR would go a long way with this still young, raw and devloping WR core.

4. winninaintsinnin says: Feb 14, 2014 9:09 AM

I can see it now…

“Nate’s Great Pizza – Delivery Only”

5. lionsmark09 says: Feb 14, 2014 9:15 AM

I can not see why he should not be offered a vet minimum deal to stay.

6. beastmode5150 says: Feb 14, 2014 9:53 AM

Always been a class guy, come home to Seattle for a couple mil and get a ring Nate.

7. randy2054 says: Feb 14, 2014 10:09 AM

Nate is a Canadian citizen, therefore, should he not be able to hook up with an NFL team. Attention Giants this guy could be a big asset to you fellows! Nate most certainly would have no problem looking on with any Canadian football league team he wants to play for and I will assure you that after he is retired as a player. This gentleman has the smarts and class to be a general manager for any team in the CFL. I have seen him on the NFL network in this gentleman is articulate and has a class that is very rare in the football business. Keep on keeping on Nate eh!

8. lks311 says: Feb 14, 2014 10:19 AM

Future Media Star.

9. beavertonsteve says: Feb 14, 2014 11:46 AM

He’ll be 33 this year, he’s got a good chance of leaving the game in the next year or two rich and pretty healthy. Not a bad start to life.

10. lionfan419 says: Feb 14, 2014 12:42 PM

I have been a Lion fan for 26 years and have seen some (many sad) years but Nate has always been a class act. I have supported his clothing line and like everything he stands for. Yesterday when i saw this i was watching E60 on ESPN about a boys wish and i said if i had canver or was dying and could meet any athlete and as die hard as a fan i am i had barry cross my mind, but i said in that time i would want Nate to meet me, he is a genuine nice guy and i think he thinks of others feelings and living a positive life first and foremost.

11. lovethelions says: Feb 14, 2014 1:41 PM

Nate, we’ll miss you, but I agree…follow Avril and get a ring! :)

12. lovethelions says: Feb 14, 2014 1:44 PM

Also….

13. lovethelions says: Feb 14, 2014 1:44 PM

BRING BACK KICKOLICIOUS!!!!!

14. mattjay0101 says: Feb 15, 2014 10:52 AM

@…….BRING BACK KICKOLICIOUS!!!!!

Totally agreed! Only an idiot would give that a thumbs done…but we all know there are plenty of those here in the D.

15. johnnyjagfan says: Feb 15, 2014 12:11 PM

I’d love to see him get a 2-year deal in JAX so we could have a real vet WR teach these kids how to get open.

16. jamezz23 says: Feb 18, 2014 6:12 PM

We all loved Nate, the whole city, everyone loved the guy. He’s a great leader, definitely has a few years left, not as a number one or two receiver, but a slot guy. I’d would have loved to see Detroit bring him back