South Dakota linebacker aiming for three-cone drill record

tylerstarr

We’ve seen players boast before the Scouting Combine that they could break the all-time record in the 40-yard dash or the bench press. But South Dakota linebacker Tyler Starr may be the first player to head into the Combine talking up his chances of breaking the record in the three-cone drill.

Starr told Bruce Feldman of CBS that he has done the three-cone drill in 6.29 seconds. That would top the Combine record of 6.42, set by wide receiver Jeff Maehl in 2011.

I think I can blow that drill out of the water,” Starr said.

Most NFL fans have never heard of Starr, who grew up in a town of 459 people and didn’t get any scholarship offers from any major college football programs. But Starr got a lot of attention at the East-West Shrine Game, and he’s poised to get even more attention at the Combine. Especially if he can back up his talk about blowing the three-cone drill out of the water.

Photo via University of South Dakota.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “South Dakota linebacker aiming for three-cone drill record”
  1. shawon0meter says: Feb 15, 2014 12:01 PM

NDSU Bison >>> any school in South Dakota

2. chiadam says: Feb 15, 2014 12:02 PM

This will be key for all the times the offense subs three stationary traffic cones for three moving players. Now he just needs to perfect tackling the cones instead of running around them.

3. steelersfanfromtheseventies says: Feb 15, 2014 12:15 PM

Well if thats his goal i support him 100%.
    Not really sure what good that will do when he is applying for a job to sell insurance.

4. kd75 says: Feb 15, 2014 12:18 PM

My apartment building has more than 459 people living in it. And there are about 14 others of the same size on my block. Plus a dry cleaner.

5. micknangold says: Feb 15, 2014 12:20 PM

@ chiadam

Yeah, agility isn’t important for any NFL player. Who needs an agile guy out there playing football? How meaningless.

6. garyhd01 says: Feb 15, 2014 12:37 PM

pure speed is nice, the ability to determine where to be is even more important if he puts the 2 together he could hear his name called on day 3

7. thegrey7 says: Feb 15, 2014 12:59 PM

I am setting my DVR for this NOW!

8. ariani1985 says: Feb 15, 2014 1:00 PM

Come to green bay, we play clown music at our practices!

9. staffordsyear says: Feb 15, 2014 1:33 PM

Most fans have never heard of 95% of the players that enter the Combine..it doesnt matter if your from Peever South Dakota or Miami Florida.

10. mrsmell says: Feb 15, 2014 1:33 PM

I dont know how big he is, but if he is 240-50, running the 3 cone, that is one impressive man. Some of the best LBs in game right now run 7 sec 3-cone.
    For non-NFL guys, the 3-cone drills for LBs show what a LB can cover given he mistakes a run and a pass is on.

11. roadbiscuit says: Feb 15, 2014 2:07 PM

I always thought teams play special attention to 3 cone drills for skill players, pass rushers and blockers because indicates how good a player is at body control and recovery speed. Thanks to the fine PFT fanalysts here, I see it’s just a joke though. Someone should let NFL personnel evaluators know they’re wasting their time and that small school guys are all garbage anyway.

12. jetfan74 says: Feb 15, 2014 2:25 PM

You can’t teach that kind of athleticism but you can teach technique. Somebody will call his name on day 3 or or give him the personal call as an undrafted FA. Just think Danny Woodhead people.

13. billbrasky72 says: Feb 15, 2014 2:33 PM

I can do the three-cone in 2 seconds flat. Now write an article about me.

14. metrocritical says: Feb 15, 2014 2:54 PM

And we know how things turned out for Jeff Maehl.

15. michaelamericano says: Feb 15, 2014 2:59 PM

6’5″ and 250 according to the SD football player profile. If true that’s a pretty impressive size to quickness ratio.

16. The Steelers cast such an immense shadow over the league. There's no wonder why we are so widely envied. We are superior. We have six Lombardis. What do you have ☹? says: Feb 15, 2014 3:01 PM

This might be enough to wake Al Davis up.

17. seahawksbmx says: Feb 15, 2014 3:16 PM

If he sets that record, pretty sure he’ll be a lock for the Three-Cone Drill Mt. Rushmore.

18. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 15, 2014 3:53 PM

It’s all this Olympics crap on TV that has people talkin’ like this.

19. lambeauandlombardi says: Feb 15, 2014 3:56 PM

ariani1985 says:
    Feb 15, 2014 1:00 PM

Come to green bay, we play clown music at our practices!
    …………………………………………………………………….

Why would he come to Green Bay because they play clown music at Viking`s practices?

20. skiss68 says: Feb 15, 2014 4:04 PM

@chiadam. That is the reason I enjoy the responses more than the articles themselves.

21. jimmysee says: Feb 15, 2014 4:26 PM

Check his shoes for flubber before he runs.

22. deltaoracle says: Feb 15, 2014 4:44 PM

Meanwhile, some little-known nose tackle is vowing to devour the ice cream cone record.

23. Ed Bandell says: Feb 15, 2014 5:17 PM

If you read his bio he is a two-sport athlete that was also a decent basketball player. When he arrived at USD he was a 214LBS safety.

Do we know any other former safeties that turned into linebackers? Urlacher comes to mind.

I am not saying this guy is the next Brian Urlacher. I read a report that his 40 time is not supposed to be upper tier, but if you can run at cone drill that quickly that means you can change direction and get up to speed quick. Seems to me that might be a more true indication of talent than a 40 yard straight line sprint. Not like this guy is going to be running fly patterns all day long.

What is a term you hear a lot in football? Explosiveness. If this guy grades out well in other areas other than the 40 time, heck…I’d take a shot at him lower in the draft if I have an open pick. Why wouldn’t you?

24. raiderapologist says: Feb 15, 2014 11:00 PM

I can eat three scones in less than seven minutes. Draft me.