Broyles: Knees “healthy right now” as he rehabs Achilles injury

Dallas Cowboys v Detroit Lions Getty Images

In the span of about 23 months, Lions wide receiver Ryan Broyles suffered three serious leg injuries: a left ACL tear in November 2011 at Oklahoma, a right ACL tear in December 2012 and a left Achilles tendon tear in 2013.

The Lions’ second-round pick in 2012, Broyles told Tim Twentyman of DetroitLions.com that he feels pressure to perform but also wants to be prudent in his rehabilitation from the Achilles injury.

“I know the deal with the Lions right now and you feel like you have a deadline because there’s guys counting on you, especially coming in from the second round. I feel like I have to go in there and prove something and maybe I did that a little bit before my body was ready (last year),” Broyles told the club’s website for a story published Sunday. “This time around I have to just focus on my future. I’m 25 years old right [now]. I just have to be smart from this point on.”

Broyles told DetroitLions.com that his knees are now healed, but his left calf needs to be strengthened.

“Last year I didn’t hit the ground running like I wanted to, but I wasn’t as strong as I needed to be last year. This year my knees are healthy right now,” Broyles told the club’s website. “I feel my glutes, back, hamstrings and quads are back. Now I just have to work on my left calf.

“I’m excited for that day to go out there and just be able to cut where I want to cut and jump when I want to cut. I’m going to work as hard as I can and it’s going to fall in my favor sometime soon.”

The Lions seem one of the more likely teams to add at wide receiver either in free agency and/or the draft. The club’s recent attempts to bring in capable wideouts opposite of Calvin Johnson have mostly fallen short, though in the case of Broyles, terrible luck is as much to blame as anything else. Nevertheless, the Lions are going to have to try again to find targets who attract attention opposite of Johnson, who draws no shortage of focus from opposing defenses.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Broyles: Knees “healthy right now” as he rehabs Achilles injury”
  1. alshonbrandontandem says: Feb 16, 2014 1:19 PM

Sammy Watkins would make that Offense scary I tell you. Hope another team takes him first.

2. green41563 says: Feb 16, 2014 1:23 PM

Unfortunately, he’s got the constitution of a vase. He’ll never be healthy for an extended period.

3. thevikesarebest says: Feb 16, 2014 1:24 PM

The model franchise resides in Minnesota.

4. shaggytoodle says: Feb 16, 2014 1:38 PM

I don’t think Watkins is going to be around when they draft, and the Lions have so many needs.

Especially the secondary.

If they don’t address the issue, they will see guys like Rodgers, and Cutler torch them.

5. buzzardpointlookout says: Feb 16, 2014 1:38 PM

The Lions’ Achilles heel has been drafting broken players because Martin Mayhew wants everyone to think he is the smartest guy in the room.

Broyles (shredded knee as a Sooner)
    Jahvid Bust errr… Best (major concussion at Cal)
    Titus Young (head case in college)

6. trumb1mj says: Feb 16, 2014 3:09 PM

Shaggy, torch them like this year? Jay Cutler puts fear into no one.

7. foofooface says: Feb 16, 2014 3:32 PM

Broyles is a nice guy but he definitely needs to get cut. No use in paying the guy if he’s not producing, just like any other job. Cut him and invest in someone who has the potential to play 16 games, he’s gonna get hurt again to no surprise.

8. nflfollower says: Feb 16, 2014 3:57 PM

If Sammy Watkins is there at 10 no way they pass. He is a better overall prospect than any corner in the Draft and wr is a huge need for this team.

9. metrocritical says: Feb 16, 2014 4:30 PM

Nice guy, poor risk the Lions never should’ve taken. Cut him and move on. Broyles is cooked.

10. shaggytoodle says: Feb 16, 2014 5:11 PM

I was hesitant to put Cutler, I wanted going to put Marshall and Jeffery up there instead.

It doesn’t matter if McCown or Cutler was back there, if the Lions don’t fix it.

11. dkgrumpy says: Feb 16, 2014 7:46 PM

Injuries are part of the game but I still can’t figure what the Lion

12. honalulublue says: Feb 16, 2014 8:19 PM

Broyles can start the season on PUP, he’s no cap issue. He can be released anytime during the season if he’s not going to cut it, so there’s absolutely no reason to dump him right away.

13. lovethelions says: Feb 16, 2014 8:52 PM

BRING BACK KICKOLICIOUS!!!!!

14. enelsoniii says: Feb 17, 2014 12:46 AM

You could see the Lions trade up to get Watkins.

Assuming that the top QBs (Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles) all go in the top 4, then Clowney and perhaps Robinson go – the Lions have to trade up 3-4 spots to get him.

Definitely something to watch.

15. cooper12345 says: Feb 17, 2014 9:52 AM

I see Broyles at the gym all the time, he has been in Michigan most of the winter working out. I hope he makes it back, the guy is pretty ripped.