Jordan Lynch: Scouts say I can be an NFL quarterback

jordanlynch AP

Jordan Lynch had an excellent college career as the quarterback at Northern Illinois, leading his team to a surprise Orange Bowl appearance in his junior year, and coming in third place in Heisman Trophy voting as a senior. But Lynch wasn’t playing in a pro-style offense, and few people who saw him play in college envisioned him playing quarterback in the NFL.

At least, that’s been the conventional wisdom on Lynch. But Lynch himself says that at the East-West Shrine Game, NFL scouts told him that they believe he can play quarterback in the NFL.

“There were still a lot of questions about whether I should be a quarterback or running back or whatever going into the East-West, and the first two days of practice, all of those questions were kind of eliminated. [Scouts there] believed I could be a quarterback with what I showed them, and there are a lot of teams interested in me as a quarterback,” Lynch told the Chicago Tribune.

Lynch does understand that an NFL team could ask him to change positions, but he doesn’t expect that to happen.

“About half of the teams came up to me [at the East-West game] talking about a different position or special teams,” Lynch said. “Whatever gets my foot in the door, I am willing to do. I believe I am a quarterback first and I will prove everyone wrong and I will keep doing that. If it depends on getting a check or not getting a check, I will do whatever it takes to get that check. A position change really isn’t in the back of my head because I know quarterback is going to work out. If it came down to where I had to make a switch, I would stay on offense. I feel like I am a playmaker with the ball in my hands.”

Lynch was definitely a playmaker with the ball in his hands in college: As a junior he ran for 1,815 yards and 19 touchdowns, and as a senior he ran for 1,920 yards and 23 touchdowns. Despite Lynch’s preference to stay at quarterback, if he’s going to be a playmaker in the NFL, he will most likely be making plays with his feet, rather than his arm.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Jordan Lynch: Scouts say I can be an NFL quarterback”
  1. brooklyn40niner says: Feb 16, 2014 2:45 PM

This dude would make a better NFL QB than Tebow.

2. thevikesarebest says: Feb 16, 2014 2:52 PM

The packers without Aaron Rodgers doesn’t qualify as an NFL Football team.

3. 4allintensivepurposes says: Feb 16, 2014 2:56 PM

I was also told I could be whatever I wanted to be.

4. timb12 says: Feb 16, 2014 3:03 PM

He wouldn’t have rushed for that kind of yardage if he was strictly a running back.

5. gloryfromheaven46 says: Feb 16, 2014 3:14 PM

Lynch was pretty fun to watch, I’d like to see him get a shot and play during the preseason at least

6. tooz72 says: Feb 16, 2014 3:14 PM

in the CFL maybe

7. arkimble says: Feb 16, 2014 3:18 PM

He would be better off as a TE or FB. Swallow your pride and don’t be a Eric Crouch, Pat White, Tim Tebow, or Terrelle Pryor.

8. golforepar says: Feb 16, 2014 3:18 PM

I hope these scouts are not from Minnesota!

9. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 16, 2014 3:23 PM

“Scout’s honor!”.

10. outlawshark says: Feb 16, 2014 3:23 PM

The Vikes couldn’t beat the Packers without Aaron Rodgers. Vikes fans should some day understand they are the Packers’ biatches. Simple fact.

11. milkmandanimal says: Feb 16, 2014 3:24 PM

“My dog is named ‘Scout’, and he thinks I’m the best QB ever.”

In NFL terms, Jordan Lynch is Tebow with a lower ceiling.

12. jkaflagg says: Feb 16, 2014 3:54 PM

Yeah, and that Russell Wilson guy is too small to play too…..

Chances are that Lynch is a great college QB who will not be able to translate his game to the NFL (think Kellen Moore), but some team will take the time to find out, although they may not invest a high draft pick (or any draft pick, for that matter)…..

13. thestrategyexpert says: Feb 16, 2014 4:04 PM

A QB that sometimes passes or a RB that sometimes rushes? Or you can do both!

14. jdphx says: Feb 16, 2014 4:06 PM

See Julian Edelman (best case scenario)

15. meatcarroll says: Feb 16, 2014 4:24 PM

Marshawn Lynch > Jordan Lynch
    #DefendingWorldChamps

16. chunkala says: Feb 16, 2014 4:50 PM

…and then Lynch woke up from his dream.

17. garyhd01 says: Feb 16, 2014 4:55 PM

special teams and maybe a wildcat qb/rb my guess is he winds up his first year on someones practice squad where they can teach him what the pocket is for we know he can run!!

18. charmcitychampions says: Feb 16, 2014 5:52 PM

So Manziel CAN be an NFL QB (by almost all accounts)….but some teams are saying Lynch can NOT? Can anyone who watches college football explain that one?

19. bcajun says: Feb 16, 2014 7:06 PM

meatcarroll says:
    Feb 16, 2014 4:24 PM
    Marshawn Lynch > Jordan Lynch
    #DefendingWorldChamps

Eat it seattle…no one cares about your cheating to get to the top

20. flips220 says: Feb 16, 2014 8:09 PM

I like the kid, and he was fun to watch in college, but I just don’t see it working out for him in the NFL. The reality is, guys get hyped up this time of year (and good reason too, for a lot of them are coming off great college careers) but the fact of the matter is with these QBs, there’s maybe going to be like two, three of them tops that will still be relevant in a couple years. We go through this every year, but the hype train keeps on rollin’. I see Lynch’s career path probably following something similar to Dan LeFevour. He came out of the same conference, and got the same hype, being a duel threat guy, and people were even giving him Tebow comparisons too. And now he’s disappeared off the face of the earth. I don’t think Lynch will get drafted. He might be able to stick as a Practice Squad guy somewhere, but unless you’re a NIU fan, I think he’ll already be forgotten by this time next year.

21. slobberknocker says: Feb 16, 2014 8:47 PM

C’mon man!!! Where’s the “I’m gonna win the Super Bowl as a rookie” mentality? You gotta say idiotic stuff like Johnny M is you want to get the scouts’ attention.

22. nflinsider711 says: Feb 16, 2014 8:52 PM

He will be a great fit for the Redskins. They need a mobile backup.

23. ptownbearsfan420 says: Feb 16, 2014 9:47 PM

Backup? The Redskins need a starter..

24. orivar says: Feb 16, 2014 10:14 PM

I saw a few of his games, he has potential. Just needs to be drafted by A GOOD organization.

25. granadafan says: Feb 16, 2014 10:35 PM

Unkike Tebow, Lynch wasn’t surrounded by NFL talent and running a gimmick offense where receivers were wide open or with truck sized holes through the line. Lynch went through adversity and had to carry his team.

26. kwame410 says: Feb 17, 2014 12:21 AM

Jordan lynch and marshawn Lynch should be on the same team with the assistance of a good o-line and run the ball like 90% of the time like auburn .

27. theonetheycallbrian says: Mar 5, 2014 2:59 PM

I see Lynch being similar to a Jim McMahon. Not known for his arm, but tough QB who is a great competitor. He would be a good for use by teams in 3rd and short situations when they want to keep the defense guessing.