Ray Farmer knows which QB he wants, but isn’t saying

Ray Farmer AP

There’s no bigger challenge for new Browns General Manager Ray Farmer than finding a quarterback.

The perennial question for the Browns, Farmer knows answering it will go a long way toward determining his success and longevity.

And while there were reports the previous administration was leaning heavily toward Johnny Manziel, Farmer has the ability to play coy now. In a Q and A with Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Farmer was able to blow some smoke about his intentions.

“Yes, I do,” Farmer said if he knew he’d take today if he had to. “I’ve studied the quarterbacks and I’ve studied other players, and I’ve already started to formulate the rank and order of each position. I do know what I’d do if I was held down at the moment. It doesn’t mean that can’t change, but I currently have somebody in front..

The Browns have the fourth overall pick, but the extra first-rounder from the Trent Richardson deal gives them the ability to move around a bit. And Farmer hedged when asked if the quarterback he preferred was the fourth pick.

“I’d say that No. 4 is not necessarily where I would take the guy that I like,” Farmer said. “Again, it may not be the name that everybody thinks is the latest, greatest, and the easy one to spot. There’s definitely an art to selecting people in the draft and it’s finding the right name that fits who you want to be.

“I haven’t revealed to many people who that person is that I may like. I think it’s an interesting debate. If I were to say ‘I like player A’ I don’t know if it poisons the pool. I’ll let everybody else have the conversations before I comment. They might say ‘I like player A too’ instead of giving honest feedback.”

Getting that decision right is something that has eluded the Browns since their return to Cleveland, so Farmer knows the pressure he’s under right now.

Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
68 Responses to “Ray Farmer knows which QB he wants, but isn’t saying”
  1. dontasemebro says: Feb 16, 2014 9:51 AM

The Browns finally got their version of Ozzie Newsome. Farmer will finally lead us to the promised land!

2. realnflmaster says: Feb 16, 2014 9:57 AM

He wants Carr.

3. drfeelyouup says: Feb 16, 2014 9:57 AM

Bring Johnny Football to Cleveland.

4. commentcentral says: Feb 16, 2014 9:57 AM

The quarterback he chooses is the one he always wanted of course.

5. realdealsteel says: Feb 16, 2014 9:58 AM

If he gets the QB position right, he’ll be the king of Cleveland. Like that has much value but..

6. tfg2330 says: Feb 16, 2014 9:58 AM

If the Browns get this draft right, they will be a team to respect in a couple years

7. arnoldziffel says: Feb 16, 2014 10:10 AM

Good luck to you Ray, Cleveland has suffered enough.

8. stephenolszewski says: Feb 16, 2014 10:19 AM

Wonder if it’s Mettenberger or Murray, nobody is talking about them since it’s all focused on Manziel, Bridgewater, and Bortles. Of course the room is awfully Smokey when he’s talking about this though

9. camdenyard says: Feb 16, 2014 10:22 AM

A handful of college quarterbacks are now petrified with fear.

10. livenation90 says: Feb 16, 2014 10:22 AM

Cleveland has a plan people…

11. britishraven says: Feb 16, 2014 10:26 AM

Does this mean Tim Couch is coming out of retirement?

12. sellout1983 says: Feb 16, 2014 10:26 AM

Because if it’s one thing the Browns do well, it’s making decisions. Especially when it comes to quarterbacks.

13. Big Ant TV says: Feb 16, 2014 10:36 AM

my money is on Carr or Bridgewater
    Manziel those not have the body frame too take NFL hits alot

14. seatownballers says: Feb 16, 2014 10:50 AM

Don’t hold your breath. Manziel and bridgewater could go one and two. Carr and Bortles are good, but a #4 overall? Idk

15. wiseliver says: Feb 16, 2014 10:54 AM

It won’t take much to do better than the last QB we selected, or the one before that for that matter.

16. steelerdeathstar says: Feb 16, 2014 10:56 AM

Why isn’t Jimmy Garoppolo more in the conversation? Browns might be able to trade down from #4 and still get him…

17. officialgame says: Feb 16, 2014 11:02 AM

I like Manziel a lot but not at #4 though considering the rest of a weak QB draft class you have to consider it. Manziel needs to be with the right organization and coach and I don’t know if that’s Cleveland. Wonder if Philly would have the guts to trade Foles for that pick. They have the right coach, weapons, and O line to make that work.

18. machine64red2 says: Feb 16, 2014 11:08 AM

Sammy Watkins @ 4, Carr @ 26, Hyde @ 37

19. ttommytom says: Feb 16, 2014 11:10 AM

Watkins with 4 and Derek Carr with the other pick.

20. heymister24 says: Feb 16, 2014 11:23 AM

It won’t be a QB at #4.

21. swagger52 says: Feb 16, 2014 11:28 AM

It is hard to think of Johnny Manziel playing in the Factory of Sadness.

22. gborange says: Feb 16, 2014 11:39 AM

I don’t understand the Bridgewater hype. He’s good but he hasn’t been playing against defenses loaded with future pro players every week, same with Bortles. He may be the best QB in this draft, but I don’t see him as a future elite.

23. thelastpieceofcheese says: Feb 16, 2014 11:40 AM

Cleveland has become a quarterback;s graveyard.

24. siggtacular says: Feb 16, 2014 11:46 AM

So proud of my Baltimore Ravens. Must really be a bummer being a Brownies fan.

25. hehateme2 says: Feb 16, 2014 11:48 AM

Ah… the factory of sadness continues…

26. thesteelskirt says: Feb 16, 2014 12:08 PM

By the time the QB situation is set they will be paying for the young defensive players due contracts along with Gordon and Cameron. Timing is everything…..

27. briang123 says: Feb 16, 2014 12:20 PM

Who even knows if he will still be the GM on draft day.

28. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Feb 16, 2014 12:21 PM

Hoyer played pretty well for you guys — just not sure why Hoyer doesn’t get much respect.

29. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 16, 2014 12:41 PM

I think Derek Carr is going to be right in the mix for top quarterback selected, regardless of who is choosing.

30. petedutcherjr says: Feb 16, 2014 12:43 PM

Sounds to me like a QB will not be his first pick.

31. bigace73 says: Feb 16, 2014 12:46 PM

I think Hoyer is worthy of the job…

32. wallyspo says: Feb 16, 2014 12:51 PM

If I had to guess I would say his eye is on Carr or Goroppolo… Use the first round picks dangle in front 0f other teams and try and turn them into draft mid round picks. If Carr is there when the Browns pick in the second, they take him. If he is not, I’m sure he would be more than happy with Goroppolo.

33. mustangseo says: Feb 16, 2014 1:24 PM

As a Browns fan I wouldn’t be opposed to a Hoyer/Cousins/Rookie QB trio going into next year.

Hoyer deserves the chance to start – he showed real leadership and command out there. Cousins knows Shan’s offense and could battle it out with Hoyer in camp and be a very viable backup QB. Not sure what the Skins want for Cousins but maybe a high 3rd rounder #71 gets it done. I think they should get it done and try to find someone to take Weeden for a 6th round pick.

Ben Tate might also be available for a 3rd round pick to the Texans and the Browns have 2 of those and 2 4th rounders as well.

If the QB Farmer likes can be gotten later in the draft, better to stock up with those first 3 picks and get some quality players.

34. oldcracker says: Feb 16, 2014 1:48 PM

Taking WR Watkins at 4 makes a lot of sense. We’ve seen what WR Gordon has done so, adding Watkins would make a nice complement. Besides, if Gordon messes up, Watkins provides nice insurance.

Other than Bridgewater (excellent), the draft is full of good to very good QB’s. Manziel can be a very good QB….on the right team, which is NOT the Browns. Between our “turnstile” O-line and the wonderful winds off of Lake Erie, Manziel would be toast. I like Bortles but the Browns are not the team , at this point, to “develope” a QB….maybe GB or NE. I also like Carr but, will he turn out just like his brother? The rest are a dime-a-dozen at this point. So much depends on the coaching they’ll receive.

The drafting of a good QB is moot though if they don’t do something with the O-line to protect him, and hopefully open some holes for the running game.

I’d like another top DB taken early to compliment Haden. Where I wouldn’t want to be in Farmer’s shoes, I’d love to be the fly on the wall.

35. rainmaker1982 says: Feb 16, 2014 1:51 PM

Ryan Mallatt? Done.

36. kwjsb says: Feb 16, 2014 1:55 PM

Ray wants Aaron Murray in the 3rd round so he can focus on best available in the first and get a couple of Guards that can pull in the 2nd.

37. cguy7 says: Feb 16, 2014 1:56 PM

I love the overconfidence of the Stiller and (Browns) aka Ravens fans. The worm is turning and you’ll be weeping in Mom’s basement in the upcoming years as the Browns take their rightful place in the league. We as Browns fans cannot control our horrific ownerhip groups since our rebirth. Please remember football started in Ohio and the Hall of Fame is in Norheast Ohio for a reason… Just sayin…

38. thetooloftools says: Feb 16, 2014 2:02 PM

I am calling this man “Our Ray Of Hope” !

39. cguy7 says: Feb 16, 2014 2:07 PM

To me Cousins=Hoyer. I’d go out and get McCown and draft Murray or someone of that ilk and fortify the oline and front seven on defense first.

40. Nofoolnodrool says: Feb 16, 2014 2:31 PM

Ah yes the off season boasting about the turning worm. Sad thing is every year when you have to play and not talk the Browns fall flat much like the one and done Bungals.

41. iainrwbnyj says: Feb 16, 2014 2:33 PM

I thought Player A was on the Panthers now?

42. tribefever says: Feb 16, 2014 2:39 PM

Stud

43. arrowdead says: Feb 16, 2014 2:59 PM

Ray simply CAN NOT miss bad on a QB in this draft.

44. vincentbojackson says: Feb 16, 2014 4:10 PM

The Browns never miss on quarterbacks.

45. ontboltfan says: Feb 16, 2014 4:13 PM

Happy for them either way. They already made the best 2 moves of their offseason.

They couldn’t go too wrong getting the best WR/QB combo w their 1st 2 picks.

46. edavidberg says: Feb 16, 2014 4:16 PM

It is about time the Bowns have someone in charge who is going to keep who they are targeting in the draft quiet. It seems like everybody knew who the Browns liked the past few years which is just stupid considering its a huge disadvantage for other teams to know who you like.

Maybe the Browns finally found someone competent to run the front office part of the organization.

47. broadcaster25 says: Feb 16, 2014 4:21 PM

Hope springs eternal for those of us who are Browns fans.
    Sounds like they’ve got someone who may be on the right track.

48. zrb17 says: Feb 16, 2014 4:25 PM

Build the OL & skill group…McCarron
    in the 3rd, possibly 4th

49. edavidberg says: Feb 16, 2014 4:26 PM

Also, I like the idea of not taking a QB in the first round as other commenters have suggested. Hoyer could be competent next year and there is a high bust rate in first round QBs. I’m not sure any of them are Going to be Pro Bowl caliber. Why not go with Watkins who has rare talent that is well deserving of a high draft pick? Especially if he runs a 4.4 at the combine.

Then you fill in other needs such as running back in the second round (Tre Mason and Carlos Hyde are possibilities) and take a QB like Murray or Garrapolo in the third and maybe you sign McCown to provide competition for Hoyer.

Every team needs a winning quarterback but as SF and Seattle have shown you don’t always need to find one at the top of the first round. If the sure thing isn’t there build your team and try and find one another way.

50. wjmoffatt says: Feb 16, 2014 4:27 PM

Everyone that bashes on Cleveland better be from a top notch city like Miami, LA, etc because otherwise you have no room to talk!

51. pmars64 says: Feb 16, 2014 4:31 PM

As a Browns fan, it’s hard not to like Farmer’s approach both with the media and even his (stated) approach to his own scouting dept. He seems more accessible and stating he doesn’t want to poison the pool of opinion from his scouts and others by stating his own speaks to a willingness to take seriously their views.

He seems like the anti-Joe Banner and doesn’t appear to be condescending or relaying the message that he’s smarter than everyone else. Maybe he thinks he is anyway, but he’s smart enough to keep it under wraps at the very least.

I always laugh at Raven fans who poke at Browns fans, because they’re actually cheering for the original Browns and they seem not to know this.

52. robin302 says: Feb 16, 2014 5:13 PM

The one he wants is the one that is left.

53. joewilliesshnoz says: Feb 16, 2014 5:25 PM

The best QB in this draft, probably won’t be drafted.

54. detroitdawg says: Feb 16, 2014 5:40 PM

I’m to the point as being a browns fan, I don’t care who runs their team or who’s name the guys they’re drafting. I’ve been excited and unhappy with past hires or signings. I’m done getting excited about stuff they do until someone can prove to me or I should say us that someone can change this garbage that we call a team. I hope this is the man to do it but until then I will not hold my breath.

55. hawkstradamus says: Feb 16, 2014 5:43 PM

Stay loyal browns fans. My seahawks finally won it. At least that’s what the papers say, still feels like a dream to this 30yesr die hard(and often) fan.

56. ubepunkedagain says: Feb 16, 2014 6:32 PM

The Browns are trading down, maybe twice and going to solidify the only weak part of the D with CJ Mosely. Pettine watched what Alonso meant to the Buffalo D and everyone can see what Keuchly does in Corolina.

If Clowney is on the board, I look to trade down to Atlanta. If Mathews or Robinson slide to 6, a team like the Giants could come up to get him. That is where the Browns could get their defensive leader of the future. They then have another first and possibly two additional seconds to go with the one they have to fill any holes and get Hyde and McCarron in the 3rd.

57. bunk02 says: Feb 16, 2014 6:57 PM

Watkins #4, OL #26, Mettenberger #35

58. officialgame says: Feb 16, 2014 7:04 PM

There isn’t a sure thing QB in this draft worth the risk of a top 10 pick. They all have question marks.

59. ogrady612 says: Feb 16, 2014 9:36 PM

So whats the big secret??? Unless Farmer going throw a curve in the NFL draft..

60. thefiesty1 says: Feb 16, 2014 10:41 PM

Kiss of death for whoever they select. Their career just went into the toilet before it ever had a chance to take off.

61. nflrox36 says: Feb 17, 2014 10:43 AM

Take it from a Chiefs fan Cleveland..Ray Farmer was horrible as director of Player personnel in KC, and he’ll be a horrible GM..Be ready to be average to bad until he’s gone

62. wiseone50 says: Feb 17, 2014 11:35 AM

I would start Hoyer and groom a later round pick behind him. Bolster the o-line in the draft along with a WR, RB and a DB. With a bit of luck we should be a solid team then. OK-maybe a lot of luck! Go Browns!!

63. toddvenice says: Feb 17, 2014 11:59 AM

P.S. It will take Ray Farmer being courageous enough to buck conventional thinking and gamble on nothing more than Tim Tebow’s proven track record for winning more games than he loses his entire football career.

64. iamthb says: Feb 17, 2014 3:51 PM

Give it up on a high draft pick for qb. Hoyer will be the man. Finally more than unsubstantiated hope. Farmer is the real thing.

65. brownsmakemecrazy says: Feb 17, 2014 6:42 PM

Nailing this draft is critical. If they screw this draft up, they wont recover. They have a ton of holes and a ton of picks. I want players that can come in immediately and make impact. These projects and no names need to stop this year. Drafting isnt rocket science yet the Browns have consistently screwed it up the last 15 years

66. newlegacyenterprises says: Feb 17, 2014 9:53 PM

This is the best I’ve felt about the Browns in a long time!

67. jakefodor says: Feb 18, 2014 6:33 AM

This draft prediction thing is kind of stupid. Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Carr, McCarron, Garoppolo, Boyd, Mettenberger, Garoppolo, Murry….10 names, I am sorry no NFL draft has every produced more than 3-4 starters.

I wouldn’t waste a first round draft choice on a QB. Just look at the elite QBs today (Manning, Brady, Brees). Manning was the only one to be picked first round.

68. blackhole7711 says: Feb 18, 2014 4:06 PM

Sammy Watkins at 4, Jason Verrett maybe Bradley Roby at 26, possibly McCarren or Mettenburger in 2nd round