Obama expresses admiration for Michael Sam

michaelsam AP

President Obama has weighed in on former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam’s announcement that he is gay, expressing admiration for Sam’s decision to come out in the months before the NFL draft.

In an interview with Charles Barkley on TNT, Obama noted that Sam wanted NFL teams to have a complete picture of who he is before they drafted him.

First lady Michelle Obama previously called Sam “an inspiration to all of us.”

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Obama expresses admiration for Michael Sam”
  1. prospero63 says: Feb 17, 2014 8:27 AM

The irony of course being that he’s being held up for something that has nothing to do with football.

2. tvguy22 says: Feb 17, 2014 8:34 AM

“I know I can play great football and judge me on the merits.’ ”

That’s what the NFL was going to do anyway. If he proves he can play, he will play. Very simple.

3. regulator01 says: Feb 17, 2014 8:42 AM

enough reason not to like him

4. dexterismyhero says: Feb 17, 2014 8:49 AM

Ah, thanks Mr. Prez. Now go back to work please.

5. douchebigelow says: Feb 17, 2014 8:51 AM

Maybe Barry’s looking for a new bath house partner. Just don’t tell Reggie.

6. linemanguy74 says: Feb 17, 2014 8:54 AM

Think he is telling another lie ????

7. patriotsdefense says: Feb 17, 2014 8:56 AM

@ dexterismyhero

Not today. He can get back to work tomorrow. Today is his Holiday, or does that only count for white presidents?

8. beeygin823 says: Feb 17, 2014 9:03 AM

Michael Sam is awful.

The only reason he came out, was to gain publicity and shine light upon himself.

The lifestyle he lives is one that is not right morally.

I could not root for him if my team drafted him in the upcoming NFL draft

9. mp42245 says: Feb 17, 2014 9:11 AM

Looks like you are the only one giving yourself a thumbs up, bud

10. kcflake says: Feb 17, 2014 9:12 AM

I would not want Obama to express admiration for me in any way, shape or form.

11. kcflake says: Feb 17, 2014 9:12 AM

Will people still be expressing admiration when Sam washes out of the NFL.

12. JSpicoli says: Feb 17, 2014 9:13 AM

Another friend running “hero”

As usual this guy is full of the right words.

13. mrthirtytwo says: Feb 17, 2014 9:18 AM

Never misses an opportunity to turn attention to a wedge issue and away from real issues. Washington Redskins name now this. Yes we know that you’ll treat him as well as every other American and spy on him- but that’s ok?

And…
    And not one new outlet reporting how this puts the heat on the NFL to sign him? A 3rd-5th round draft pick just masterfully guaranteed himself a signing. Smart move

14. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Feb 17, 2014 9:22 AM

I respect one of the people mentioned in this headline. (Hint: he doesn’t live in D.C.)

15. 1historian says: Feb 17, 2014 9:29 AM

Hypo – Sam is not drafted in the 1st 5 rounds.

How many out there think that Goodell would start calling around and pressuring teams to draft him.

Thumbs up – yes

Thumbs down – no

Just wondering

I’m thumbs up

16. cypressballs says: Feb 17, 2014 9:34 AM

The first openly gay NFL draftee was only a matter of time.

Now let’s move on to more Charles Barkley’s interview. What a hoot that would be to hear.

17. moerawn says: Feb 17, 2014 9:59 AM

Reggie Love reportedly furious.

18. richardmswartz says: Feb 17, 2014 10:12 AM

I hope the biggots do make his stock fall. He’s undersized and can’t cover well (at least not yet) but if he’s around in the late 5th that would be a great value pick for the Eagles and I wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on him there one bit. As for actually being offended by him being gay…it’s 2014 really, how many of you hate-monger are there left?

19. topcide says: Feb 17, 2014 10:14 AM

beeygin823 says:
    Feb 17, 2014 9:03 AM
    Michael Sam is awful.

The lifestyle he lives is one that is not right morally.

I could not root for him if my team drafted him in the upcoming NFL draft
    ————————————————-

So let me make sure I get this, being gay is morally wrong and you don’t want him on your team.

However if he was straight and had multiple partners with some being anonymous, possibly fathered children out of wedlock with mutitple women, lives a promiscuous lifestlye that puts himself and others at risk for STD’s, had or had sexual assualt allegations or a history of physical abuse towards women, would you consider that morally right and welcome him to your team?

Or how about if he had a pattern of violent criminal behavior and was implicated in assaults that got swept under the rug? Is that OK?

I ask this because the above examples are way more common in a draftee than being gay, and I can GUARANTEE that your team has multiple players on it that fit at least one if not more of the above criteria.

20. dryzzt23 says: Feb 17, 2014 10:17 AM

If a pro sports athlete was thought to be gay, but came out and announced that he was really straight, would Resident Obama praise him or condemn him?

Odds are that he would be condemned by all the lefties, the gay community, and Resident Obama. It’s politically correct to be gay but you are condemned if you’re straight.

21. clemenza58 says: Feb 17, 2014 10:49 AM

I have no problem with Michael Sam whatsoever. Obama’s performance as the president is another matter.

22. broncobrewer says: Feb 17, 2014 11:12 AM

An endorsement from Obama, Sam just went from being drafted in the first 5 rounds to going on drafted.
    The only reason Obama likes him is because his wife and advisor convinced him it was the right thing to do.

23. meatball13 says: Feb 17, 2014 11:20 AM

Last month Tyler Doohan, an 8 year old boy, saved 6 members of his family from a fire in his home.
    He died trying to save his grandfather, who was disabled and could not get out on his own.
    His bravery and selflessness shown in this horrible situation should be an inspiration to us all.
    That is what I call inspirational!
    People should be considered an inspiration for what they do, not who they do…..

24. wisconsinhillfolk says: Feb 17, 2014 11:22 AM

The post doesn’t make a lick of sense. Maybe Sam can help you sale your trailer home?

25. bastardfromhell says: Feb 17, 2014 11:28 AM

Great! Another trophy to display on his next State of the Union speech.

26. johnnyoclock says: Feb 17, 2014 11:28 AM

Finally not practicing discrimination. 6 years too late but we’ll take it.

27. MostlyRight says: Feb 17, 2014 11:33 AM

Admiration? Or admiration admiration?

28. gborange says: Feb 17, 2014 11:48 AM

A gay guy in a men’s locker room is the same as a straight guy in a women’s locker room. You can’t argue that at all. He should be allowed to play, should ahe deprecate facilities for gays the same way they would for a woman playing on a team with a men!

29. FinFan68 says: Feb 17, 2014 11:54 AM

“I really like the fact that Michael did it before the draft,” Obama said. “Because his attitude was, ‘You know what? I know who I am. I know I can play great football and judge me on the merits.’ ”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ugh. Here is another example of the “we need a hero” crowd. The President is praising Sam’s attitude but he has inserted his own belief of what that attitude is/was (like many have done). Sam himself said he wanted to wait until AFTER the draft. The only reason he came out before the draft was because he believed a reporter was going to write a story.

I think what Sam did was a difficult thing to do but too many people are overemphasizing it based on their own ideas and hopes.

30. raynman49 says: Feb 17, 2014 12:11 PM

If you like him, you can keep him.

31. smackingfools says: Feb 17, 2014 12:29 PM

It’s not that we all have something against gay people. It the fact that we’re tired of it being shoved down our throat everyday. If you are gonna be gay, then be gay. Who cares?? Just stop acting like I’m the weird one because I am straight.

32. jdphx says: Feb 17, 2014 12:38 PM

Well…. if it fits your agenda.

33. poweri26 says: Feb 17, 2014 1:16 PM

There’s a 96% chance that Sam also admires Obama – not for the content of his character or how well he does his job – but because of how he looks.

I heard a guy speak one time who passionately talked about judging people by the content of their character instead of by how they looked. I guess we really haven’t come very far.

34. glac1 says: Feb 17, 2014 1:41 PM

he should focus on jobs, debt, deficits and healthcare instead of the NFL…

35. wnstonchill says: Feb 17, 2014 1:52 PM

Oh, okay, well in that case, we should all admire Michael Sam now. Obama is the pinnacle of wisdom and knowledge! (gag me)

36. swagger52 says: Feb 17, 2014 2:02 PM

Wow…He found time out of his day of killing jobs, to do an advertisement for his voting base.

37. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 17, 2014 6:48 PM

Intended to make me feel better about this Sam story I guess, but actually makes me dislike the current administration less than I already did. .

38. JSpicoli says: Feb 17, 2014 10:16 PM

Zero is such a pretentious patronize.

39. rc33 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:00 PM

Well, it’s not like anyone expects him to do anything positive with the economy, right?