Tony Gonzalez in, Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe out at CBS

Tony+Gonzalez+NFC+Championship+San+Francisco+D4AYlXZ6XCpl Getty Images

Any thought that Tony Gonzalez might change his mind about retirement (again) can probably put to rest, as Gonzalez has a high-profile new job: CBS has announced that Gonzalez is joining its pregame show.

As part of the same announcement, CBS said Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe will no longer appear on The NFL Today. The new cast of the show will be James Brown, Bill Cowher, Boomer Esiason and Gonzalez.

“Having just stepped off the playing field, Tony brings a fresh and insightful perspective,” CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus said in a statement. “As a future Hall of Famer, we are excited for him to share his knowledge, experiences and opinions with our viewers. Tony was one of the most respected and hardworking players in the NFL and a tremendous teammate. We look forward to him bringing these attributes to CBS Sports. While we welcome Tony, we want to acknowledge Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe who have contributed greatly to the success of The NFL Today for more than a decade. Dan and Shannon are true Hall of Famers on the field and in front of the camera. As they pursue other professional opportunities, we thank them for their hard work and dedication and wish them nothing but the best.”

Gonzalez was the first-round draft pick of the Chiefs in 1997, and played in Kansas City for 11 years, then played five more years in Atlanta. Gonzalez was chosen to 14 Pro Bowls, tied for the most of any player in NFL history, and is the all-time record holder for touchdowns and yards by a tight end. Although he initially said he would retire after the 2012 season, he returned for 2013. From all indications he now really is retired and is ready to embark on a career in broadcasting.

Permalink 189 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
189 Responses to “Tony Gonzalez in, Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe out at CBS”
  1. bigbrad184 says: Feb 18, 2014 12:40 PM

Getting Shannon Sharpe off the TV is a win for football fans everywhere.

2. nyninerfan says: Feb 18, 2014 12:41 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking Shannon Sharpe off the air.

3. chunkala says: Feb 18, 2014 12:41 PM

What happened to Dan and Shannon? Booted or no contract renewal?

4. cubano76 says: Feb 18, 2014 12:41 PM

NO ISSUES w/ Sharpe getting the boot. But the Marino move is a little odd. Maybe he wanted out…?

5. rmiller517 says: Feb 18, 2014 12:41 PM

I didn’t like Shannon Sharpe as an analyst.

6. comatrip1 says: Feb 18, 2014 12:41 PM

Can Tony jam a bunch of peanut butter in his mouth before he talks so I don’t miss Shannon Sharpe too much?

7. elliottcovert says: Feb 18, 2014 12:41 PM

Sharpe never struck me as a good fit for the CBS pregame show, but I don’t understand the decision to replace Marino.

8. psmith7716 says: Feb 18, 2014 12:41 PM

I do not know how well Gonzalez will do, but I am glad Marino and Sharpe are gone. Their individual acts were wearing me out.

9. scaredhitless says: Feb 18, 2014 12:42 PM

What kind of insight will Tony bring?

How to win one playoff game in your entire career?

How to tell if your QB is elite?

How to stop blocking yet play a position that requires blocking?

How to be hispanic yet have the NFL promote Butt Fumble instead of you?

10. purpleforroyaltygreenandgoldforbugars says: Feb 18, 2014 12:44 PM

If Joe Buck was taken off the air then I’d be ecstatic!

11. pftfan says: Feb 18, 2014 12:44 PM

Dan and Shannon were the worst. This can only be addition by subtraction for CBS.

12. puckthefatriots says: Feb 18, 2014 12:45 PM

These pregame shows have far too many ex-players just showing off their Super bowl and HOF rings. Give me former NFL personnel men who actually have something to say.

13. Deb says: Feb 18, 2014 12:46 PM

Nothing against him personally, but unlike his brother Sterling, Shannon Sharpe simply doesn’t have the skill set to be in the broadcast booth. The only mystery here is why it took CBS years to remove someone who did the job so badly. But why ditch Marino? Nothing wrong with Dan’s performance.

14. itsnotforme says: Feb 18, 2014 12:46 PM

So long to Sharpe. Every time he opened his mouth it reminded me of the back end of a horse.

15. fishfiletkray says: Feb 18, 2014 12:46 PM

CBS will still be the worst channel to watch the NFL on.

16. ctiggs says: Feb 18, 2014 12:46 PM

Hey Shannon, i’ll out do you in this job as well.

– Tony G

17. dredddog says: Feb 18, 2014 12:47 PM

CBS is tired of buying gloves for Shannon.

18. cardmagnet says: Feb 18, 2014 12:47 PM

While releasing Sharpe was a huge step forward, CBS will still be going into next season as the absolute worst broadcast team covering the NFL, from the pregame show, through live game coverage, and the post-game show.

19. scw1993 says: Feb 18, 2014 12:47 PM

I read that whole article about him in ESPN Mag, and he was very, very torn about retiring. He was agonizing over his decision, maybe by keeping his foot in the door in a different capacity, it will help. I doubt it though, playing the game is in the blood….

20. mrgroovesd says: Feb 18, 2014 12:47 PM

So happy Shannon is gone but I actually liked Dan as part of the team. What happened to him?

21. thepftpoet says: Feb 18, 2014 12:47 PM

I should be a sports analyst.

I know more about football than all of you combined.

The Minnesota Vikings > every team in all of sports

22. touchdownroddywhite says: Feb 18, 2014 12:48 PM

I wonder if he got a “10-0 team” exit clause…

23. 6ball says: Feb 18, 2014 12:48 PM

As a foursome they were the ensemble from hell. The sum total was worth less than the individual parts.

24. wiskybuck says: Feb 18, 2014 12:48 PM

Any chance Simms is next??

25. lostsok says: Feb 18, 2014 12:49 PM

So Dan is free. Stephen Ross…SIGN HIM AS CZAR OF THE DOLPHINS!

26. buddysguys says: Feb 18, 2014 12:49 PM

i bet shannon sharpe is upset too bad we cant understand what he is saying.

also how does Sterling Sharpe speak so clearly and Shannon sounds like a flat tire doing 75 mph.

27. imbetteratlifethanyou says: Feb 18, 2014 12:50 PM

Awesome. This show needed new blood to explain why the Vikings suck so bad every year.

28. nygf says: Feb 18, 2014 12:51 PM

He’s Tony Gonzalez?

29. firejerry says: Feb 18, 2014 12:52 PM

The rightous Shannon Shape gone. He was a jerk when he played and we are all glad he is gone!!!

30. schmitty2 says: Feb 18, 2014 12:54 PM

Sharpe will contribute the same amount to the pre-game show now as he did then seeing as you never understood one word he said.

31. ratsfoiledagain says: Feb 18, 2014 12:54 PM

Tony will only show up if the CBS pregame show has a good record, and a shot at winning an Emmy.

32. skinsfanforlife says: Feb 18, 2014 12:54 PM

so long Mr Ed he sucked period

33. slugbaitspace says: Feb 18, 2014 12:54 PM

I seldom watched their show, preferring the guys on “another station”, and am also glad to see Sharpe go.

But Danny? Not half bad. And the ladies STILL think he’s easy on the eyes, which is an important demographic for the NFL. Hmmm.

34. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 18, 2014 12:55 PM

The sad part is that Tony Gonzalez is a better TE than whatever the Jets or Giants will put on the field next year.

35. mayfieldroadboy says: Feb 18, 2014 12:55 PM

I liked Dan Marino on camera. And I like “football” personalities like Ditka, Esiason, Long, and, yes, even the clown-like antics of Bradshaw. But the best analyst is Jackson on ESPN. He makes more sense out of football than any other; and he keeps the “Boomer” from falling flat on his face.

36. sammadison says: Feb 18, 2014 12:55 PM

Removing Shannon sharpe was an easy choice. When he would do play by play or color commentary for game clips, you could only make out every fifth word, and you’re replacing one TE with another. I don’t understand them firing Marino though if that is in fact the case. And I can’t really see him quitting either, seems like a pretty cushy well paying job.

37. braceyourselffor12 says: Feb 18, 2014 12:56 PM

I’d rather they clone 10 Shannon Sharpes and put them on FOX if meant getting rid of Joe Buck.

38. tvguy22 says: Feb 18, 2014 12:56 PM

Jimmy Graham wants to know if he is going to be paid like a former TE, or like a former WR?

39. 24mountaincreeks says: Feb 18, 2014 12:57 PM

Still way better than Fox pregame. That show is dreadful.

40. DonRSD says: Feb 18, 2014 12:57 PM

Thank God Marino is gone.
    He was so bitter whenever talking about QBs better than him or people with rings.
    Not to mention that the game has passed him by.

Good riddance.

41. peytonsneck18 says: Feb 18, 2014 12:59 PM

They let Sylvester the cat go?

42. rc33 says: Feb 18, 2014 12:59 PM

Not gonna miss Sharpe in the least. Seemed to constantly call attention to himself every bit as much as the upcoming games. He’s as replaceable as it gets, IMO.

43. bucksfan141 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:00 PM

Any chance the will replace Simms? I’ll be looking for radio broadcasts for Thurs nights now.

44. fwippel says: Feb 18, 2014 1:00 PM

Sharpe and Marino will end up on NFL Network if they can’t land work anywhere else.

The removal of Marino surprises me.

45. jwilliamsspf says: Feb 18, 2014 1:01 PM

Nothing wrong with slimming your pre-game show of talking heads down by one. And swapping Sharpe for a very affluent and easy to understand Gonzalez will be the biggest plus for CBS. A coach, a QB, and a newly retired minority player/future 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Sounds like a big win for CBS in the future.

46. baltimoresnativeson says: Feb 18, 2014 1:01 PM

The entire CBS pre-game crew is horrible including James Brown. All he does is laugh at everything everyone says. I don’t think that man actually knows anything about football. I honestly don’t think he watches the games out of studio.

Cowher still has Steeler pom poms and Boomer is a bitter decrepit curmudgeon because he never won a ring.

The only worse pregame crew is the good ole boy poster boys for cronyism aaaw shucks lets toss the pig skin around crew at fox.

47. lawrinson20 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:03 PM

TV execs FINALLY realized Shannon Sharpe is unintelligible? He’s been doing broadcasts with what seems like a pack of Bubblicious in his mouth for (what seems like) eons.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Next up: Steven A Smith and Stewart Scott, please.

48. drsportsjock says: Feb 18, 2014 1:04 PM

Where will Shannon Sharpe wear his blueberry velvet suits?

49. packfanaj12 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:10 PM

The real issue should be replacing Joe Buck and Troy Aikman… They are horrible.

50. jbaxt says: Feb 18, 2014 1:11 PM

Thufferi’n Thuckitath…

51. crewdawg says: Feb 18, 2014 1:11 PM

Somebody pitch me, this can’t be real! About time somebody kicked out Shannon.

52. trubroncfan07 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:12 PM

Now get rid of Boomer and I might watch your pre game show.

53. champunkind says: Feb 18, 2014 1:12 PM

Slightly disappointed about Marino, but furious about Sharpe. He was not a good analyst, but now Jay Pharoah won’t be able to do his impression on SNL :(

54. glenno08 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:13 PM

Any chance they can get rid of Simms too?

55. steelerfanjo says: Feb 18, 2014 1:13 PM

Sharpe will not be missed. Worthless.

56. infectorman says: Feb 18, 2014 1:13 PM

keep the on-field tools sharp, Gonzo, come to NE when we are making our playoff run and catch passes from a truly elite QB

57. rob471773 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:13 PM

Great move, Sharpe sounded like he had peanut butter in his horsemouth when he spoke, could barely understand the guy.

Marino is annoying too, best moment ever is when Boomer called Manning the Marino of his generation after Manning got beat by Brady in the playoffs. Marino looked like he was ready to explode.

58. bcsh8er says: Feb 18, 2014 1:14 PM

Prayers do get answered!

59. coolherc says: Feb 18, 2014 1:14 PM

I really had no clue anyone even watched the network pre-game shows. Can someone explain why?? The ESPN and NFL Network shows are far, far superior productions.

60. 9balthazar9 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:16 PM

Shannon Sharpe leaving…a sad day for talking horses everywhere.

61. craigkintexas says: Feb 18, 2014 1:16 PM

I hope Marino gets picked up by NFL Network and they get rid of Heath Evans! So glad to hear that Shannon is gone!!!! He is soooo full of himself.

62. smalltownqb says: Feb 18, 2014 1:17 PM

Crank up the rumors that Marino will have some type of front office role. Lord knows that they could use some positive press after the overblown bullying incident.

63. jagsfan1 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:22 PM

Glad Shannon is gone….but Sterling is equally annoying in his own way…I can’t stand listening to him either.

64. mvp43 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:23 PM

Good move…I think he’ll some good insight. Just don’t trash talk him – he’s soft.

65. thisdamnbox says: Feb 18, 2014 1:26 PM

Well, hopefully that means a couple more guest appearances on ‘America Dad’ now that Shannon has more time. It’s a cartoon, so I’m sure they can find a way to bring the alien-chasing character back to life…But so glad he’s gone from CBS!

66. babygaga19 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:26 PM

CBS in discussions to bring in Incognito.

67. truths4all says: Feb 18, 2014 1:27 PM

For my taste, there was always too much gushing over Marino for his accomplishments and not enough balance about how he could not elevate his team to Super Bowl wins.

In the NFL, you play to win it all. Individual stats are important, but never more important than winning it all, and Peyton Manning agrees with me.

68. uglydingo says: Feb 18, 2014 1:31 PM

Dan Marino doesn’t make the NFL Mt Rushmore of QBs and now he doesn’t make the Mt Trashmore of CBS football announcers. Dumped for a newer future hall of famer.
    However, to some of us, Dan will always be the man.

69. firstand4ever says: Feb 18, 2014 1:31 PM

Most pre game shows are not very good. Way too Vanilla with very little style or substance. I hardly ever watch them. Sharpe had tons of personality but was very annoying. Marino is as bland as can be. Boomer is the same way. James Brown, Berman and Eisen are the 3 best hosts in the industry but even they have their flaws.

You want great debate and expertise on these shows and you either get guys who are too bland or guys who are way over the top like Deion, Sapp or Irvin.

The sports broadcasting industry is extremely weak and lacking in guys who make you care about the games and the league. The games really sell themselves.

70. jimthebuilder27 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:31 PM

Yay! Shannon Sharpe is leaving, now I don’t have to listen to this moron who can’t even speak anymore!

71. grndizzle says: Feb 18, 2014 1:32 PM

I prefer Sunday Countdown on ESPN anyway.

72. motownmatt says: Feb 18, 2014 1:32 PM

I won’t miss Shannon’s LISP! I always wanted to hear him say:

Sally sold sea shells by the sea shore.

Well I guess I still have Mike “Sufferin’ Succotash” Mayock.

73. leroysbutler says: Feb 18, 2014 1:34 PM

I’d like to see Bill Polian on the pregame. He has a lot of knowledge and insight. Way more than Ditka even when he’s awake. The game has passed him by.

74. El Pollo Loco says: Feb 18, 2014 1:35 PM

Serious question:Does James Brown wear a wig?Look at the separation of his forehead and his hairline and I swear I see glue

75. dwarftosser says: Feb 18, 2014 1:35 PM

I’m one of the few people who really liked Shannon Sharpe, but he wasn’t very good at this job. I hope he makes a guest appearance every now and then in the future.

It will be interesting how Gonzalez does. CBS should might actually be bearable to watch this year. They just need to stop giving Simms the premiere games.

76. beach305 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:37 PM

I’m the biggest Marino “homer” but even I have to admit that he was as exciting to watch as watching paint dry. In fact I rather watch paint dry.

77. painsyndicate says: Feb 18, 2014 1:37 PM

Smart move getting rid of Mushmouth Sharpe. Now we just need to weed out Simms, Nantz, Sapp, Ditka, Kosar, Theismann, Larry Michael, Ronde Barber, Buck/Aikman/Oliver, Siragusa and Erin Andrews (except for the annual calendar shoot).

78. vincelombardisghost says: Feb 18, 2014 1:37 PM

Sharpe was awful. Thank you CBS! However, I still won’t watch your pre-game. An inferior product. FOX is and always has been better.

79. tcostant says: Feb 18, 2014 1:37 PM

Dan Marino is an empty suit with not much to say. Sharpe was replaced by the better YE!

80. blackngold4life says: Feb 18, 2014 1:38 PM

Should have thrown in Boomer as a bonus

81. whatnojets says: Feb 18, 2014 1:39 PM

They canned Joe Buck!?!?!

Am I in heaven???

82. poweri26 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:40 PM

This is a GREAT opportunity for Marino and for football fans everywhere. For the love of everything Holy, please please please fire Troy Aikman and bring in Marino. Aikman is the WORST on air personality in the world. I’d rather watch a blind Buddhist monk broadcasting goat herding than listen to another game where Troy Aikman is the color analyst. He is awful!

83. atwatercrushesokoye says: Feb 18, 2014 1:41 PM

Is an hour enough time for Gonzalez to talk about himself each week?

84. hawkforlife says: Feb 18, 2014 1:41 PM

Can this old lame statement be any sillier. “Hey you’re fired but we’ll say nice things while security escorts you out the door.”

85. huskersrock1 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:41 PM

I will never forget the day Boomer said if Peyton doesn’t win a superbowl he will end up like Dan Marino.

86. athwartships says: Feb 18, 2014 1:45 PM

Sharp off the air might be the best football news I have read in 2 weeks.

87. telldatruth says: Feb 18, 2014 1:45 PM

CBS trash is another Network’s treasure. Both will sign with the NFL Network

88. therooneyskilledwebster says: Feb 18, 2014 1:45 PM

And the brutal offseason for the Dolphins (current and former) continues.

89. InFact says: Feb 18, 2014 1:46 PM

Marino and Sharpe added little insight….and four is still too many to chatter…..Let Boomer riff and opine with his insights…..I expect Gonzalez to be milquetoast without insights, as he gently breaks bread.

90. perry82581 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:50 PM

So there may be some free time for Dan to spend with his kid?

91. InFact says: Feb 18, 2014 1:51 PM

Painsyndicate: You noted above on 2/18 Buck & Aikmen are worthless….Hmmm….Which broadcasters DO you like?

I’d suggest that those two add intrigue and drama with their style, with Aikmen OFTEN providing new, fresh details that are opinionated and un-watered thoughts.

He’s better than anyone else I’ve heard and, in comparison to Simms obvious thoughts, a GREAT media person.

Buck adds an iconic voice for me that makes watching Big Games a joy…..Few commentators create a scenario that feels “important” in terms of the tension. Buck does it.

92. thebirdsareback says: Feb 18, 2014 1:51 PM

My boy Shannon is getting destoryed!!! BALTIMORE LOVES YOUR HORSEMOUTH BROTHER AND WILL ALWAYS HAVE YOUR BACK!!! See ya on Fox Sports One or something…

93. pugsley927 says: Feb 18, 2014 1:53 PM

almost there, get rid of that idiot Esiason and i might watch the show.

94. johnnybaggadonuts says: Feb 18, 2014 1:57 PM

Haven’t watched a pre-game show in over 6 years. I swear it’s the key to enjoying the NFL. Just read websites and fantasy stuff before kickoff and then pop on the Redzone channel. No empty platitudes or false sincerity or mugging to the camera. Just football.

95. learysdisciples says: Feb 18, 2014 2:00 PM

Al and Cris are the best on TV.

96. hockeyman22 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:00 PM

Hey Shannon,

Why the long face?

97. leroysbutler says: Feb 18, 2014 2:03 PM

I didn’t care for Sharpe either, but he’s still better than Irvin, Sanders, and Sapp. They are unwatchable. I also agree with whoever said Stuart Scott has to go. Between the jiving and that eyebrow I have to change the channel when he’s on.

98. upperdecker19 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:05 PM

You hear this FOX???

Time to make Gus Johnson/Charles Davis your lead broadcast team.

Can Buck, Aikman, Moose & Goose, Jimmy “Enzyte” Johnson and Terry Bradshaw immediately!

99. metalman5150 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:06 PM

Many thanks to Dan and Shannon.

100. bengalsfan20 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:14 PM

Lol going to miss Shannon Sharpe’s babbling.

101. chingustight says: Feb 18, 2014 2:16 PM

GOOD JOB, YOU REPLACE TWO IN ONE SWOOP. YOU GET A SOON TO BE TE TO REPLACE THE 2ND GREATEST RECIEVING TE, AND YOU REPLACE A HOF PLAYER THAT NEVER HAD A GOOD ENOUGH TEAM TO WIN A SUPERBOWL WITH ANOTHER ONE. GOOD SCORE CBS. THE DAILY DOUBLE.

102. redskin1 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:21 PM

JOE BUCK,THE WORST OF THE WORST,,WE CAN THANK DADDY FOR THAT

103. rajbais says: Feb 18, 2014 2:24 PM

Do we really need more Boomer Esaison???

I’d rather have Dan Marino say nothing and Shannon Sharpe go crazy than have a phony like Boomer on.

CBS has more Boomer than ESPN has Stephen A Smith.

No joke. His stupid radio show on TV, him on Westwood One, and this studio show that won’t get better with Gonzalez.

FOX will always be better and it’s time to get rid of the people that don’t move needles while being jerky. Like the NFL, you can be a jerk as long as you help. Boomer is a jerk and phony that will never help shows get better ratings.

104. joemammy says: Feb 18, 2014 2:27 PM

James Brown is very good in his role as host. Cowher is as much of a mush-mouth as Sharpe was.

I’m tired of having to wipe down my TV after steeler-boy finished spitting on it…

105. jimjets says: Feb 18, 2014 2:27 PM

An idiot and a mumble mouth leaving a show no one ever watches except maybe 5 minutes before the game. Good riddance and who cares?

106. sweetnlow44 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:29 PM

Awesome. Now let’s work on John Gruden and Cris Collensworth. I’d almost rather listen to Doris Burke call an NFL game than those guys.

107. ajgreenhof says: Feb 18, 2014 2:31 PM

I like the move.

I always watch CBS because FOX is a bunch of clowns and getting rid of Marino was a smart move. He was amazingly boring and brought little insight to viewers considering he was a NFL QB.

108. gibbskins9 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:31 PM

FOX and the NFL network are both better then the CBS pregame show, But Dan is well liked and respected kind of odd he is out.

109. tvjules says: Feb 18, 2014 2:32 PM

CBS — Make way for Manning.

110. gpete1962 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:33 PM

I never thought Shannon was that “Sharpe” anyway!!

111. 1phd says: Feb 18, 2014 2:33 PM

Poor Marino, first all the weight loss and now this. Not having a ring will do this to you.

112. 2ruefan says: Feb 18, 2014 2:34 PM

Now…If we could only get STERLING Sharpe off the air. Dude has NO volume switch. Or Intelligence switch for that matter.

Just yells every stupid thing that comes into his head.

113. iman62 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:34 PM

Laces out Dan!

114. citizenstrange says: Feb 18, 2014 2:35 PM

I have a feeling that the only way Cowher would go back to coaching is if he gets fired from CBS.

Hopefully CBS would give him a heads up — say during the last half of the season —- so it will look like he wanted to go back to coaching and he has time to pick a good situation.

115. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 18, 2014 2:39 PM

Good move CBS.

I had no idea what Shannon Sharpe was saying anyway. CBS needed to provide closed captioning when he spoke.

Marino was way out dated and boring like most of the announcers offered. Fox needs to make changes too. Rotate these guys off after a while for crying out loud.

I would like to hear former players that at least have played on the field with the current players not guys who played 30 years ago.

116. chaznewc says: Feb 18, 2014 2:41 PM

Hopefully Tony Gonzalez can fake laugh for the intros and commercials like the rest of the crew.

117. indytom87 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:43 PM

Maybe Dan’s personal life has come home to roost?

118. staffordsyear says: Feb 18, 2014 2:45 PM

It still cant touch Foxs pregame show.

119. chinahand11 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:47 PM

Good, I don’t have to hear horse face butchering the English language every Sunday.

120. rdrs68 says: Feb 18, 2014 2:48 PM

Unscripted Shannon is really quite funny and able to come with interesting quips but as an analyst in a controlled studio setting he stinks.

121. george1859 says: Feb 18, 2014 3:12 PM

Good-bye to the 20 lb. tongue..
    See ya Shannon….

122. chillyball says: Feb 18, 2014 3:12 PM

I was hoping to see a picture of Jay Pharoh as Shannon Sharpe somewhere in this article.

123. fordmandalay says: Feb 18, 2014 3:17 PM

One down, Warren Sapp still to go.

124. channelguy says: Feb 18, 2014 3:20 PM

Obviously getting rid of Sharpe, who most people seem to concede was an embarrassment as an analyst was a no-brainer. But I like replacing Marino, as well. He was articulate — unlike Sharpe — but I always found him on the DULL side. Same with Esiason.

FOX has a better show than CBS because it’s simply more interesting, and the personalities more colorful, Gonzalez seems to be a bright guy. If he can translate that into being interesting as well, like FOX’s retired jocks, the show will be better.

125. JackedUpSports says: Feb 18, 2014 3:25 PM

i literally have been watching marion and sharpe on nfl today as long as i can remember. people may hate on sharpe but he brought a good balance to the show. its truly a new age

126. schmitty2 says: Feb 18, 2014 3:27 PM

Can you imagine Sharpe and Lou Holtz in the same studio? Yikes!

127. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Feb 18, 2014 3:31 PM

I actually love Shannon Sharpe’s fresh approach – I find him playful, fun and often quite witty.

Shannon works for me, and I’m no Broncos fan. I think the guy is fun, and a major breath of fresh air.

As for Marino, he really didn’t add much — and he won’t be missed.

128. lanman11 says: Feb 18, 2014 3:34 PM

Every Sunday during the CBS pre-game, halftime, and post game show, I had to call The President, and ask him to send out the National Guard, because Shannon Sharpe was literally KILLING the English Language on national television…..

129. dickroy says: Feb 18, 2014 3:36 PM

I like Dan Marino, but he was a little boring. As for Shannon Sharpe, I am so glad to see him removed. I could never understand him anyway. His voice and language was annoying!

130. smackingfools says: Feb 18, 2014 3:42 PM

Hopefully it was sharpe’s incognito statements he recently made that got him off the air. Incognito should never play again? And pouncey and jerry out at least 6 gameS? Please.

131. keylimelight says: Feb 18, 2014 3:42 PM

I’m surprised at how many commenters here have no qualms about mocking his speech impediment but I actually liked Shannon on the show. At least he brought some energy to the panel.

I seem to be the only one who thinks that way, though .

132. z06vision says: Feb 18, 2014 3:45 PM

Keep the Steeler and lose the Raven. Major improvement!

133. pittsburghdamned says: Feb 18, 2014 3:59 PM

Whew!
    Adios Flabba-Jabba and low IQ’s.
    Now let’s get Fox to dump their whole clown round table, starting with James Brown and his need to bring his silly faith into every discussion.

134. akboot says: Feb 18, 2014 4:03 PM

Those two were the only reason I would never, ever, watch the cbs pregame, or halftime show. I think I could muster trough Bevis and Butthead rather than those two. Good move!!

135. whysomanylosers says: Feb 18, 2014 4:07 PM

Who is worse Sharpe or Holtz?

Thumbs up Sharpe
    Thumbs down Holtz

136. channer81 says: Feb 18, 2014 4:10 PM

Good luck to Tony, but if he isn’t busting the kind of jokes and charisma he was able to get off during the lineup introductions on Sunday night football. It will be a short time at CBS.

137. onbucky96 says: Feb 18, 2014 4:11 PM

Who watches pregame shows anymore? I thought we all watched Fantasy Football shows before kickoff.

138. dexterismyhero says: Feb 18, 2014 4:15 PM

Hey guys, protect your manhood…..

Tony Siragusa

And yes, I think you can see some glue at the top of JB’s head.

139. petedutcherjr says: Feb 18, 2014 4:25 PM

Shannon Sharpe was not an objective guy anyway. Frankly, his insights sucked too.

140. thestatsishere says: Feb 18, 2014 4:30 PM

Sharpe was ok, but Marino just lacked all emotion. I am so glad he is gone. CBS has the worst halftime crew and I hate how instead of showing us another game, they actually sometimes have us watch the crew watch the game. I’m like…WTH?!?!

141. swagger52 says: Feb 18, 2014 4:34 PM

As long as Dan Dierdorf is gone, I will be happy. I am tired of listening to these guys broadcasting from inside the jhock of Tom Brady.

142. alshonbrandontandem says: Feb 18, 2014 5:10 PM

The time off will allow Marino to have more illegitimate children

143. granadafan says: Feb 18, 2014 5:11 PM

Congrats to Tony. The guy is a class act. Plus this hire got that egomaniac, Sharpe, off the air. Win win

144. thefiesty1 says: Feb 18, 2014 5:37 PM

Simms should be the first to go. He never was any good on the field or in the booth. Next is Ailman with his nasally voice. That just grinds on you like scraping a fingernail on a chalk board.

145. tothefellowshipofthemiserable says: Feb 18, 2014 5:41 PM

Shannon! Call the National Guard!!

146. firedup1 says: Feb 18, 2014 5:57 PM

Drew Brees needs an explanation.

147. nyneal says: Feb 18, 2014 5:59 PM

Awesome news. Gonzalez is a class act and speaks intelligently.
    Shannon Sharpe was arrogant and sounded like he had marbles in his mouth.
    The only good thing about Shannon was he made his brother Sterling seem almost listenable.
    I’m not a big fan of Cowher, either. Great coach, lousy studio guy.
    Marino seemed bored and you could tell he never liked Sharpe.
    Boomer needs to step it up, too. Maybe now he’ll be able to get a word in now that Sharpe isn’t there to interrupt him all the time.

148. mezanine10 says: Feb 18, 2014 6:10 PM

Rutt ro! These 2 guys unemployed with spare time on their hands spells trouble for women in their cities.

149. drednot says: Feb 18, 2014 6:10 PM

Sharpe>Emmitt

150. taintedsaints2009 says: Feb 18, 2014 6:20 PM

please get rid of Bill Cowher while you’re at it. he’s awful.

Boomer is good.

James Brown is the KING!

Fox needs to put Moss on full time. he is awesome and the guys love him.

151. patsfan13 says: Feb 18, 2014 6:21 PM

Now if only the other network would get rid of coked up loud mouth Michael Irvin.

152. TheWizard says: Feb 18, 2014 6:35 PM

Good move.

Now ditch James Brown.

153. hungbob says: Feb 18, 2014 6:39 PM

Glad to see Marino go, he has the personality of a fence post.

154. natepalmer1 says: Feb 18, 2014 6:43 PM

Get rid of the show entirely…

155. dfco74 says: Feb 18, 2014 6:47 PM

Boomer Esiason is a typical former athlete with an elevated opinion of himself.

156. timmyboy719 says: Feb 18, 2014 7:16 PM

cbs is the best postgame show

157. slick50ks says: Feb 18, 2014 7:21 PM

Thannon Tharpe was an abomination on the air.

People should have been fired for the decision to even hire him.

158. Shinnbone says: Feb 18, 2014 7:37 PM

Shannon should try Hollywood action movies…..he could play the big dummy really well.

159. pastabelly says: Feb 18, 2014 8:00 PM

I won’t be happy with CBS until they get rid of Simms, AKA Mr. Cliche.

160. pastabelly says: Feb 18, 2014 8:02 PM

I’m glad they’re going with someone proven like Gonzalez. rolleyes.

161. vicvinegar00 says: Feb 18, 2014 8:05 PM

And I’ll continue to not watch the pre- or post-game shows on any network. They are all the same nonsense.

I also prefer to mute the announcers. Joe Buck, Jim Nantz, Troy Aikman or Phil Simms don’t add anything to the game.

Why these people think they are crucial to the “experience” of the game is beyond me. Same with the constant attention paid to Bob Costas and the Olympics. Who cares? Show some curling.

162. enzasman says: Feb 18, 2014 8:15 PM

Although Tony never won a Ring, he is THE BEST tight end to ever play the game. As a team sport THE BEST NFL TEAM has to have a few rings to be named that, but as an individual a player doesn’t. Shannon was never close to the best Tight end even though he ha d a ring, nor was he good at speaking publicly, Tony will do a great job.

163. bvoter says: Feb 18, 2014 8:37 PM

BuBye, CBS, if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it. Now I can choose between FOX, ESPN, and NFL Net. C’Ya, CBS!

164. hawkforlife says: Feb 18, 2014 8:40 PM

How can there be so much love for FOX here? Those clowns make football a joke. All they ever talk about is Jimmy’s hair, Bradshaws being dumb, whatever that so called comic does and enough FOX promos to sicken a goat. The only worthwhile contributor is Howie Long. At least he actually want’s to talk football when he can gets a chance.

The worst is Jimmy Johnson, has he even watched a football game in 20 years?

165. celticsforever says: Feb 18, 2014 9:18 PM

ctiggs says:
    Feb 18, 2014 12:46 PM

Hey Shannon, i’ll out do you in this job as well.

– Tony G

ps. can you tell me what it’s like to win the superbowl, or even just one playoff game? and while you are here, can you show me how to block?

166. jollyjoker2 says: Feb 18, 2014 9:46 PM

I liked marino — -but, new generation.. .Everyone now is saying…dan who? and did you win a superbowl? NOT.

167. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 18, 2014 9:54 PM

@hungbob says
    Glad to see Marino go, he has the personality of a fence post.

_________________________________

“I resent that remark.”
    Sincerely, a fence post

168. simplec72 says: Feb 18, 2014 10:12 PM

Good news… Couldn’t understand what he was saying anyways! Ya doe dat I mean?

169. taintedsaints2009 says: Feb 18, 2014 10:16 PM

If you don’t like James brown, you don’t like HUMANITY!

170. bigjim50010 says: Feb 18, 2014 10:34 PM

I say bring in Incognito for the younger demographic. He has proven himself witty and charming via twitter. cray cray will be the new buzzword

171. indyeagle says: Feb 18, 2014 11:22 PM

Wait a second, CBS has a pregame show? Who knew?

172. soaringeagle13 says: Feb 18, 2014 11:38 PM

Chris Berman could leave TV and it would never hurt my feelings

173. yyyass says: Feb 19, 2014 12:03 AM

I liked the CBS crew. The guys had chemistry and weren’t so polished as to be insufferable like so many ex-jocks on the air on the other stations. Nor were they loudmouthed blowhards like a few others – basically ESPN and NFL Network. Fox’s show is terribly produced and Kurt Mennifield can’t hold a candle to James Brown. Shannon was witty and didn’t come out of the same broadcaster mill that is bringing us so many sound-alike, over-serious, white, former players, and hootin n hollerin, black former players.

174. knew8411 says: Feb 19, 2014 1:29 AM

I can hear Sharpe’s exit tune now….Na Na Na Na…Na Na Na Na….Hey Hey Hey…..Good Bye!

175. knew8411 says: Feb 19, 2014 1:35 AM

Ya know as far as Im concerned….get rid of most….if not all of those fools. Dont stop with NFL pregame shows either…..purge ESPN as well…both TV & Radio.
    Most of those ESPN guys think they are just the funniest and most loved individuals on the face of God’s Green Earth.
    I listen to sports talk radio to get sports….not hear entirely unfunny men, try to be funny.
    I guess it’s the same with the NFL pregame guys….especially FOX.
    If they arent trying to be funny…..they spend their time trying to talk over ach other.
    Heck, there are a plethora of fans who know as much or more about the game….how bout hiring some of them to do pregame shows?

176. dolfan72 says: Feb 19, 2014 6:15 AM

Give Marino the same job in Miami Elway has in Denver!

177. nflinsider711 says: Feb 19, 2014 9:29 AM

Tony Gonzalez broke all Sharpe’s records and stole Sharpe’s job. #ouch

178. virgilcole says: Feb 19, 2014 9:47 AM

Meh. Shannon never did add much to the show besides the occasional laugh. The one they should really get rid of is Boomer Esiason. He has the personality of a snail.

At least we won’t have to look at Shannon’s ridiculous bow-ties.

You know his ego has to be bruised getting replaced by the one tight end that broke any records he had, and that most people think was a lot better player than he was.

179. rcfiddyone says: Feb 20, 2014 3:24 PM

Coming from an Atlanta fan, I hope Tony does well but the only guy I prefer listening to is Scott Hansen on NFL RedZone. He jumps in, catches the viewer up on the action during the cut-ins and lets the plays do the talking. Short and to the point.

180. kcchris727 says: Feb 20, 2014 6:27 PM

Ironically, Sterling Sharpe is my absolute favorite sports commentator, while Shannon was always the WORST ever imo. God he was horrible, unintelligent and hard to follow with nothing important to say ever.

Sterling is the opposite and Marino was terrible as well. Good riddance. Whoever hired them initially should be fired. Terrible.

181. bittersportspills says: Feb 20, 2014 11:49 PM

Shannon Sharpe was terrible as an analyst; his takes usually lacked depth.
    Marino was there because he was Dan Marino. His takes also lacked depth but he was bland in addition to lacking depth. That’s death in TV-land.

182. dbiowa says: Feb 21, 2014 12:21 PM

I have to yet see any sparkling analysis from any of the pre-game shows that an 11 year old wouldn’t be able to come up with. There are too many so called analysts, all trying to speak at once, awful. I never watch them, and this move isn’t going to change that.

183. csbanter says: Feb 21, 2014 2:19 PM

Hopefully the NFL network adds Marino. One Sharpe is enough sorry Shannon.

184. babyphife says: Feb 22, 2014 10:56 AM

Its pretty obvious that CBS is paying Marino back for keeping his lovechild and subsequent hush money payments from them for 7 years…..Karma for Saint Marino

185. mapss1619 says: Feb 23, 2014 5:28 PM

I thought Shannon was the interesting one on CBS but now that he’s gone, I don’t have to ever have to watch the CBS pregame show. Fox pregame show is my favorite anyway. They are hilarious and not boring at all!

186. mapss1619 says: Feb 23, 2014 5:30 PM

And I only switched over to CBS pregame when Fox pregame was on commercial to hear Shannon’s picks.

187. bvoter says: Feb 25, 2014 1:51 PM

Let’s face it, CBS seems to have panicked. They might as well have replaced the coach, too. AND Boomer. Clean house. But the problem is while Shannon was loud & controversial, he gave the show some POP amid the monotones of the others. Sharpe was CBS’ version of Bradshaw. Don’t fix what is not broken.

188. revelation123 says: Jun 3, 2014 10:41 PM

I can see why Shannon Sharpe is gone. Marino on the other hand may have been too expensive to justify his ratings. I would imagine Boomer works for less. Those 2 talking heads put together were probably more expensive than Gonzalez is. Featuring Gonzalez may give them enough star power to make this move cost effective.

189. farleyjc says: Jul 5, 2014 2:05 PM

I can’t help but wonder if Marino joining in the lawsuit against the NFL regarding the concussion issue has anything to do with his departure. Anyone know if Sharpe is also on the list of those suing?