Gonzalez unhappy with how his Ryan comments were portrayed

Panthers Falcons Football AP

When retired Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez described quarterback Matt Ryan as excellent but not elite, the “not elite” portion of that quote got a lot more attention than the “excellent” part. Gonzalez wasn’t happy about that.

Gonzalez told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that although he had no problem with the original ESPN Magazine story in which his comments appeared, he did have a problem with how ESPN and NFL Network took a partial quote and ran with it.

“There was no firestorm,” Gonzalez said. “They pulled quotes from that article a couple of days before it came out, so now you’re not getting the whole story. ESPN was biased about it and so was the NFL Network. I saw the ticker where it said, ‘Tony calls out his former quarterback’ or whatever. Which is ridiculous.”

Gonzalez says he respects Ryan professionally and considers him a good friend and sees no reason for anyone to suggest otherwise.

“Matt and I are going on two vacations together,” Gonzalez said. “Me and his wife and my wife, we go out to dinner all of the time. Why would I call the guy out, who made the last five years of my career great? Why would I call him out? I didn’t call him out. That’s why I didn’t respond to it. I didn’t tweet about it. I didn’t go on a bunch of radio stations. I did a couple of interviews and I was like, I’m not defending myself. This is ridiculous and I talked to Matt, too. It’s a non-story as far as I was concerned.”

It seems like every NFL offseason features at least one manufactured controversy about whether a certain quarterback is or is not elite. At least we got the one from this offseason over with early.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Gonzalez unhappy with how his Ryan comments were portrayed”
  1. notrelated says: Feb 19, 2014 3:57 PM

If it wasn’t such a big deal he wouldn’t have waited until AFTER he left the team to say it.

2. ziggystheansah says: Feb 19, 2014 3:58 PM

Even so, Tony Gonazalez is the best tight end in NFL history. He can say and do whatever he wants; he’s that good.

3. jimbo75025 says: Feb 19, 2014 4:00 PM

Way to start off that broadcasting career Tony !

4. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Feb 19, 2014 4:01 PM

I agree with Gonzo. His comment was NOT meant to be a slam on Ryan, as it was portrayed by “the media.”

Upon reading the headline, it appeared to be a bash job — but reading his comments in context showed it to be a refreshingly honest assessment of Ryan, but no ill intent. Is Ryan elite? I don’t think so. Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees are ELITE. But Ryan is WAYYY up there on the short list of high quality QBs – and that’s what Gonzo basically said.

Gonzalez is right. This “story” was packaged with a very misleading spin on where Gonzo was coming from, and it’s hard to blame him for being a little bent about it.

5. bobulated says: Feb 19, 2014 4:02 PM

He said Ryan wasn’t on par with Peyton, Brady, Brees or Rodgers yet; even the most fervent Falcons fan would have to agree. While Ryan is Hall of Very Good material at this point in his career he’s certainly not a 1st ballot HOF like those 4 guys.

6. chawk12thman says: Feb 19, 2014 4:02 PM

Learn from this Gonzalez. It is going to be more of the same now that you have a job in the press……Good luck; I know you’ll do great.

7. 4allintensivepurposes says: Feb 19, 2014 4:03 PM

You’ll learn the art of taking things out of context. Now that you’re a member of the media.

8. doctorrustbelt says: Feb 19, 2014 4:04 PM

This is why I stated that low character juicer tony gonzalez was going to be more annoying than ever.

gonzalez is insecure and desperate to be love/liked.

9. mvp43 says: Feb 19, 2014 4:04 PM

He’s right. He’s an excellent QB, but not elite. He needs to win something to become elite. Now is Flacco an elite QB because he won a SB…. obviously not, because he’s not an excellent QB.

There are 4 elite QB’s right now: Brady, Brees, Rodgers, P. Manning. That’s it.

10. shaggytoodle says: Feb 19, 2014 4:09 PM

Well now he will have the joy of portraying other comments the way he wants, cuz he gets to work for the media now.

11. calibear831 says: Feb 19, 2014 4:10 PM

Those comments are probably the reason why he got the gig at CBS. I bet he’s going to have a weekly segment of him evaluating QB’s, telling people if he thinks a certain Qb is elite or not.

12. 23rdusernameused says: Feb 19, 2014 4:13 PM

regardless sh-Eli is NOT elite, this we can all agree on, FOR SURE!!

13. blackngold4life says: Feb 19, 2014 4:24 PM

Should be more upset about saying he would come back to the Falcons if they were 9-2. Just go away please

14. ravenmuscle says: Feb 19, 2014 4:24 PM

We also all know that Roethlisberger, Kaepernick. and Russell Wilson are Waaaaayyy behind Flacco in the “excellent” category.

15. ianwetpantscom says: Feb 19, 2014 4:29 PM

SMH …. Matty “Ice” got his lil bitty feeling hurt.

#justsay’n

16. peytonwantsaflag says: Feb 19, 2014 4:33 PM

what I want to know is why does Gonzalez go out to dinner with his wife and Ryan’s wife all the time?

17. phillycannon says: Feb 19, 2014 4:38 PM

news flash Tony….now that your with CBS, you will be saying harsher things about your former teammates, and people you played against.

18. jayquintana says: Feb 19, 2014 4:58 PM

I’m sure Tony’s learned his lesson: don’t tell the truth.

19. hjb99992013 says: Feb 19, 2014 5:11 PM

silence is golden

20. riverhorsey says: Feb 19, 2014 6:01 PM

Cowher, Brown, Boomer and Gonzalez will be a nice bland show.

21. vikingsvoice says: Feb 19, 2014 6:18 PM

First and foremost, it’s the truth.

But, I do find it a bit funny that he didn’t share this story until being hired by CBS Sports, a direct competitor to ESPN and NFLN. I guess it didn’t take him long to get acclimated to the media business.

22. mrdownslider says: Feb 19, 2014 8:22 PM

If Gonzalez cant deal with minor criticism such as this, then his broadcasting career is going to be much, much shorter than his playing career.

23. csbanter says: Feb 19, 2014 11:04 PM