DeAngelo Hall: Mike Shanahan handcuffed Jim Haslett

71f01a28e575156bab34d5f7618769ca AP

The Redskins defense was not a strong suit last season, leading to some surprised reactions about their decision to bring Jim Haslett back for another year as their defensive coordinator.

One of Haslett’s charges thinks that the move has the potential to be a good one because Haslett will be able to run his defense without any interference from former head coach Mike Shanahan. Cornerback DeAngelo Hall said on ESPN 980, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post, that Shanahan “liked to micromanage things” and that he’s excited to see Haslett “unleash his full arsenal of play calls” thanks to Jay Gruden’s different style.

“And like I told Haz years ago, when I was kind of getting handcuffed as a player, I told him I understand you’re getting handcuffed as a coach,” Hall said. “Imagine how I feel as a player being told that I have to do something a certain way, because I’ve always stressed to people that playing corner, it’s chess. It’s not let me stand right here and you catch this ball. … So Haz definitely understood where I was coming from as a player. And I felt him, because he definitely as a coach needs to be able to kind of play chess with the other coordinator too.”

It will help if Haslett is playing chess with a full complement of pieces rather than a slew of pawns and a couple of battered rooks, something that the Redskins will try to address in free agency with a fuller pocketbook than they’ve had at their disposal in recent years.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
23 Responses to “DeAngelo Hall: Mike Shanahan handcuffed Jim Haslett”
  1. thelastwordyaheard says: Feb 21, 2014 9:16 AM

oh man, I thought this article was going in a different direction entirely.. that’s a relief

2. kneelbeforesod says: Feb 21, 2014 9:21 AM

Surely this article will make Shanahan’s face red.

3. tcostant says: Feb 21, 2014 9:23 AM

I live in the DC area and they are blaming everything on Mike Shanahan, including all the scouts being handcuff too. It’s comical.

It really sad, because Jay Gruden was hired so he could keep some of the coaches like Haslett, fo noother reason to save money. (Gruden and Haslett use to work together, which is why he would accept that).

4. jimmyt says: Feb 21, 2014 9:31 AM

He’s right.

5. tjacks7 says: Feb 21, 2014 9:31 AM

Not as much as the glaring lack of talent I bet.

6. enlightenedskeptic says: Feb 21, 2014 9:31 AM

“Imagine how I feel as a player being told that I have to do something a certain way, because I’ve always stressed to people that playing corner, it’s chess. It’s not let me stand right here and you catch this ball.”

Hey! Meangelo. What you’re being told to do is play defense. Chess?! This guy thinks he’s playing chess when he’s really playing Tiddly Winks.

Clown.

7. enlightenedskeptic says: Feb 21, 2014 9:32 AM

…and, as if handcuffs would make him play any worse anyway.

8. longislandblitz says: Feb 21, 2014 9:37 AM

The only way you can get Shanahans opionion now is with a weegie board and a flashlight

9. bpayton52 says: Feb 21, 2014 9:38 AM

deadskins

10. thraiderskin says: Feb 21, 2014 9:40 AM

If mike Shanahan was a micromanager (which I heard prior to the redskins), then shouldnt people in DC be in the right to blame everything on Shanahan? Doesn’t that sort of thing go with putting your hands into everything?

11. dapollock69 says: Feb 21, 2014 9:41 AM

I’m waiting to read that Shanahan was responsible for the gridlock in congress too. Sheesh. Talk about scapegoating. He’s gone now, so lets see what happens next year. Can’t blame him then if you have crummy players, draft poorly, sign FA’s to silly contracts and your stars don’t live up to billing – in 2014.

12. rayguyreturns says: Feb 21, 2014 10:01 AM

Eddie Royal vs DeAngelo Hall=
    Checkmate.
    So much for your chess playing abilities Hall.

13. ajgreenhof says: Feb 21, 2014 10:11 AM

Obviously Mike Shanahan doesn’t share his tanning oil.

14. amishninjas says: Feb 21, 2014 10:25 AM

The easiest way to deflect internal issues are to blame the guy that’s no longer around.

Skins blame Shanny
    America blames Bush
    Jan blames Marsha

15. justsomerandomguy24 says: Feb 21, 2014 10:52 AM

I always hated T.O., but when he used to call Hall “Deangelo Fall”, I got a laugh.

16. mdd913 says: Feb 21, 2014 11:22 AM

Somebody should handcuff Haslett for being criminally incompetent.

17. trubroncfan07 says: Feb 21, 2014 11:22 AM

Everyone keeps blaming Shanny on the Skins for this year, but who are they going to blame next year when they win 3-6 games again.

18. usahockey999 says: Feb 21, 2014 11:27 AM

Between his silly penalties, sometimes brash nature (especially earlier in his career), and reputation as a gambling CB, I understand why Hall gets a lot of flack. It’s easy to criticize him as overrated “Me-Angelo.”

But don’t let that cloud your judgement of his on-field production.

Let’s compare his stats with Nnamdi A. and Dunta Robinson. Nnamdi came into league in 2004, Hall and Robinson in 2004–and all got paid big money deals.

Nnamdi: 157 games, 15 INTs for 1 TD, 80 pass deflections, 2 Forced fumbles, 0 fumble recoveries, 355 tackles, 2 sacks

Robinson: 145 games, 17 INTs for 1 TD, 92 pass deflection, 7 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries, 506 tackles, 5.5 sacks.

Hall: 149 games, 43 INTs for 5 TDs, 135 pass deflections, 9 Forced fumbles, 13 fumble recoveries for 4 TDs, 558 tackles, 2 sacks.

The stats speak for themselves, and it’s not even close. Sure, there are multiple sides to every story, and Hall has gotten beat his fair share, but he has also produced 65 turnovers (INTs, FF’s, FR’s). Many coaches believe winning the turnover battle is the most important statistic that determines the difference between winning and losing.

19. juttindell says: Feb 21, 2014 4:34 PM

Haslett was great in Fargo.

20. defscottyb says: Feb 22, 2014 12:30 AM

Why are there so many D Hall haters and especially coming from Skins fans? D Hall is every bit as good as any DB in the NFL if the D has any type of a pass rush. He possesses leadership and passion not to mention freakish athleticism. That’s the type of player I want on my squad. Do any of the haters actually watch the games and see all the plays he makes? Dude shuts down Dez Bryant twice a year and totally gets into his head. Just for that I want him back.

21. gregmorris78 says: Feb 22, 2014 7:19 AM

Until the owner is changed, the Redskins might continue to have bad luck & Kharma.

This is going to be a contract year for Griffin & Morris.

22. kneedragr says: Feb 24, 2014 8:37 AM

The problem with the Redskins D comes down to the fact that they dont have the personnel to run the 3-4.

Orakpo and Kerrigan are better suited for a 4-3 DE position, Bowden and Cofield are really 4-3 DTs. The only truly good 3-4 player they have on the line is Carriker, but he is always injured.

So with the current staff, they basically play like they have 5 defensive lineman playing in the wrong position, which means they have one less player to drop into coverage.

The end result is less sacks and big plays in the secondary.

As far as DHall thinking he is a better player than he really is – that pretty much describes every DB in the NFL.

23. 1776dejavu says: Feb 27, 2014 4:31 PM

the disrespect is great. They will be much better than expected but if you wanta throw dirt on them go for it. I personally need a good laugh and like they say the last laugh is the best!