Mike Mayock would take Khalil Mack first overall

khalilmack AP

Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack has been talked up by draft analysts for months, but NFL Network’s Mike Mayock took the gushing over Mack to a new level today.

In an interview with KFAN, Mayock said that he would take Mack with the first overall pick in the draft.

“He’s one of the best two or three players in this draft,” Mayock said. “I’m going to tell you right now, I’d take him with the first pick.”

Mayock said Mack’s best position is probably outside linebacker in a 3-4, but Mayock says it doesn’t matter if a team plays a 3-4 or a 4-3, Mack will be a good fit in any NFL defense.

“Khalil Mack can play anywhere in the front,” Mayock said. “If you put the tape on against Ohio State, he dominates Ohio State like nobody I’ve ever seen dominate them. He’s explosive off the edge, he’s tough, he’s twitchy, he’s got a little edge about him. When I watch him on tape I feel like he’s pissed off at the world, and I like that. Then you put on a tape, I think it was Kent State, and he drops into coverage like a safety, reads the quarterback’s eyes, undercuts a route, one-handed interception.”

South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney has been generally recognized as the best defensive player in this year’s draft, but Mayock doesn’t see it that way.

“You talk about a guy like Clowney, who’s just got superhuman abilities, versus this kid, if I had a choice between the two, I think I’m going Mack,” Mayock said.

That’s quite an endorsement.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
59 Responses to “Mike Mayock would take Khalil Mack first overall”
  1. Smarterthanyou says: Feb 21, 2014 7:14 PM

Best Pro ready LB to come out since Derrick Thomas. This kid LOVES the game, wants to be great, and puts in the work.

Clowney has none of those traits I believe. He will be a bust

2. chinahand11 says: Feb 21, 2014 7:15 PM

Is it happy hour where Mr. Mayock is?

3. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 21, 2014 7:17 PM

Mock Wayoff also said that Robert Ayers, who is wallowing in mediocrity somwhere, would be the best defensive player to come out of the 2009 draft.

4. sirsupersouthern says: Feb 21, 2014 7:20 PM

Ridiculous hyperbole. I used to take Mayock’s opinions seriously. Not any more…

5. tvjules says: Feb 21, 2014 7:26 PM

Why are Mayock and Kiper positioned as experts? On draft day, they are always proven to be way off track.

6. thebirdofprey2 says: Feb 21, 2014 7:30 PM

I think Mike Mayock is better than most and has a high football IQ but he also said Great Blaine Gabbert was the most pro ready QB and should have been taken ahead of Cam Newton.

Sometimes a guy misses on his assessment.

7. dukeblue12 says: Feb 21, 2014 7:31 PM

I don’t know about being the #1 pick, but I too watched that Ohio State game and Mack dominated; was all over the field, making plays. I expect him to be a solid pro.

8. radrntn says: Feb 21, 2014 7:34 PM

well give mayock props for saying this , because 3 years from now people will say remember when mayock said……either he is right or wrong, but i would still take clowney

9. cfballfan1 says: Feb 21, 2014 7:34 PM

Marty McFly Mayhew is still a temp. Nobody listens to his “advice” including the Ford family.

10. stillers1229 says: Feb 21, 2014 7:36 PM

He loved Aaron Curry too.

11. rarelyclever says: Feb 21, 2014 7:36 PM

Same guy that said previous linebackers Aaron Curry and Rolando McClain were the best linebackers in their respective classes; he may have even said Curry was the best he’d ever seen. Hard to trust his evaluation of the position.

12. ✦ Pittsburgh is the City of Champions ✦ says: Feb 21, 2014 7:43 PM

He’s right more than he’s wrong. Can’t say that about most other analysts.

13. officialgame says: Feb 21, 2014 7:47 PM

Only linebacker chosen in the top three since 1998 was LaVarr Arrington in 2000. Note that the man who took Arrington was none other than Lil Dan Snyder. There were only two linebackers in NFL draft history who were chosen first overall. They would be Aundray Bruce (1988) and Tom Cousineau (1979). I love you Mike but it ain’t happening.

14. mydoglouie says: Feb 21, 2014 7:51 PM

I think he wants everyone to know he watches tape, I’d rather see the video :oP

15. green41563 says: Feb 21, 2014 7:56 PM

The surest path to becoming overrated is being called underrated.

For years, small-school prospects like Mack got short shrift, and that was wrong. But now the pendulum’s swung too far in the other direction.

I agree that he’s a top-15 player, but this is a bit much.

16. edavidberg says: Feb 21, 2014 8:23 PM

Wow, maybe this guy is going to shoot up draft boards.

Linebackers can really make a difference, look at the backers on Carolina and San Francisco.

17. tooz72 says: Feb 21, 2014 8:24 PM

“JaMarcus Russell had the best pro-day i’ve ever seen” – Mayock

18. therealraider says: Feb 21, 2014 8:29 PM

Mayock said Robert Quinn was the best player in the 2011 NFL draft.. His 19 sacks this past year primarily against LTs would suggest Mayock was right.

19. mattypal7 says: Feb 21, 2014 8:33 PM

“Mock Wayoff” is fantastic!!! I’m cracking up over here. That said this kid did crush ohio when they played this year. He’s gonna be a good pro, but unless your name is Lawrence Taylor you’re not ever going first overall as an OLB. Mayock got caught up in that buckeye game tape.

20. m3dman3 says: Feb 21, 2014 8:36 PM

He’s the best player coming out this year. He will be a Ray Lewis for whoever drafts him.

21. mrbigass says: Feb 21, 2014 8:36 PM

Aaron Curry was his ” can’t miss ” guy too…..

22. dfco74 says: Feb 21, 2014 8:40 PM

Typical. Mayock move if Mack us a great player mayock is brilliant if he’s a bust no one will remember he said it.

23. henryjones20 says: Feb 21, 2014 8:41 PM

Hopefully he stops beating up his team ayes(2 and counting) or Ingognito or that guy Sam might be in some trouble.

24. bflobacker says: Feb 21, 2014 8:42 PM

He looks like LT in this pic. He was a real playmaker for UB. Has a nose for the ball.

25. lostsok says: Feb 21, 2014 8:51 PM

I like Mack, but just because he’s good doesn’t make Clowney chopped-liver. 1A and 1B on my chart. (And Clowney is still 1A.)

26. seattlesuperchronic says: Feb 21, 2014 8:58 PM

All these draft “experts” are spittin straight hooey. No one knows if these guys are going to be good, they just like to guess.

27. blackbeard43 says: Feb 21, 2014 9:10 PM

“Plays like he’s pissed off at the world.” Best assesment I’ve heard for a backer. I hope the Raiders pick him or Watkins.

28. djshnooks says: Feb 21, 2014 9:24 PM

I saw every game this kid played in.

He is an absolute monster…and I’d love if he fell to #9 and Buffalo was able to get him, even though I want WR/TE…this is the one defensive player I’d be alright with.

He is the next “big thing,” the next Ray Lewis…whatever it is, he is it. Book it. He’s gonna be a beast…perennial all-pro.

29. djshnooks says: Feb 21, 2014 9:25 PM

Ps. I’m really glad he’s getting his respect.

If you doubt it, wait until he works out.

30. rajbais says: Feb 21, 2014 9:33 PM

Mayock is a good man. Clowney can’t play in a 3-4. He’d be a waste of a pick for Houston and he’s got the effort history.

However, teams win when they add offense when they need to.

Are the Jets going anywhere?

31. djohnson11882 says: Feb 21, 2014 9:40 PM

He pronounces his s’s much better in print.

32. mljohns says: Feb 21, 2014 9:58 PM

All we need to know about Mike Mayock’s talent evaluating skills…

Mayock on Blaine Gabbert: ‘He’s the first quarterback off the board’

Nuff ‘said!

33. letsberealpeople says: Feb 21, 2014 10:00 PM

How could you NOT take Luther “Shark” Lavey with the first overall pick!? (Any Given Sunday)

34. u4iadman says: Feb 21, 2014 10:01 PM

Raiders.

35. seatownballers says: Feb 21, 2014 10:04 PM

This messes up every mock draft

36. pacodawg says: Feb 21, 2014 10:05 PM

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I agree with mayock.

37. raiderapologist says: Feb 21, 2014 10:11 PM

Last year he had Sharrif Floyd as his top rated defender, and Dion Jordan was second. But the draft is a crapshoot, and Mayock guesses as good as anyone that isn’t putting his job on the line.

38. links41 says: Feb 21, 2014 10:26 PM

I cannot stand listening to Mike Mayock on Thursday nights… so glad that CBS got into the mix.

39. skoobyfl says: Feb 21, 2014 10:58 PM

Would you like to stop the run in the NFL ? Mack drops your average rushing yards against 20%.

40. dodohead418 says: Feb 21, 2014 11:11 PM

You can’t teach character that’s for sure!

41. beelicker says: Feb 21, 2014 11:13 PM

Vontaze Burfict is flabbergasted …

42. slobberknocker says: Feb 21, 2014 11:22 PM

Who hasn’t dominated Ohio State ?

43. elliottcovert says: Feb 21, 2014 11:23 PM

In the picture included in this post, Mack bears a striking resemblance to Lawrence Taylor. Case closed.

44. edwinmoses says: Feb 21, 2014 11:41 PM

Watched all of UB’s games either in person or on tv. Kalil Mack is the real deal. If you’re not sure or don’t kno mucha bout him I encourage you to watch the ohio state game or at least highlights. Was an unnameable beast in this game. The MAC may be the MAC but this young man dominated ALL competition in front of him.

45. unfortunatelyabillsfan says: Feb 21, 2014 11:49 PM

I was Mack’s teammate in college for two seasons at Buffalo. I had to go against him when he was a true freshman on the scout team and he gave us headaches all year. Amazing person, friend and football player. I played against a lot of NFL talent, and I know Mack will be great in the NFL. Hoping he falls to Buffalo at number 9 but I highly doubt it.

GO BULLS!

46. garyhd01 says: Feb 22, 2014 12:57 AM

he (mayock) may have helped the rams out with those comments if some team feels the need to go up the board to grab mack we might let them have it at #2 hell the rams may just grab him at #2 and let jo lonn go what a lb corp james laurinitis alec ogletree and khalil mack the new monsters of the midway lol

47. micknangold says: Feb 22, 2014 12:59 AM

I watched that Ohio st. game. Mack was outstanding!

48. robseahawksfan says: Feb 22, 2014 2:24 AM

Mike Mayock: Aaron Curry is “the safest pick in the [2009] draft.” Tim Ruskell took his advice. Thank goodness for Seahawk fans Tim Ruskell is long gone from the Seahawk front office.

49. granadafan says: Feb 22, 2014 3:06 AM

He even has a resemblance to Lawrence Taylor.

50. hayespanther31 says: Feb 22, 2014 6:04 AM

Wow Buffalo Bulls might produce a first round draft pick. This is awesome. Go Bulls

51. packerman1968 says: Feb 22, 2014 7:28 AM

Listening to Mayock talk, is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

52. pmpmlowe says: Feb 22, 2014 7:54 AM

Huge Buckeye fan here, this kid is a beast. We had a good OL this year and Mack just dominated us, single handedly with no help.

He really stood out in that game

53. zackd2 says: Feb 22, 2014 8:13 AM

Draft analysts get to make bold predictions all the time, be sued they’re not fired in three years if that player sucks.

54. circlethewagonsbills says: Feb 22, 2014 8:39 AM

Mack is a Stud! Long ago, I was hoping he’d last till the Bills picked at 9.

55. shlort says: Feb 22, 2014 8:39 AM

Drafting players is a coin flip. Seems like half of them are never able to play the game at the next level.

56. GBwomenrhot says: Feb 22, 2014 8:40 AM

You get a thumbs up for the descriptive name alone…..!!!! Mock Wayoff, nice

57. mjmistretta says: Feb 22, 2014 8:42 AM

He is the real deal. Watch his three year high light reel on youtube. I hope he is there at seven for tampa

58. paulsmith107 says: Feb 22, 2014 9:08 AM

What wasn’t to love about Aaron curry. He was a beast who unfortunately had bad knees

59. mackcarrington says: Feb 22, 2014 3:34 PM

Undoubtably the best player to come out of UB since Gerry Philbin.