Mike Zimmer on Adam Zimmer: “(The) players tell me how good he is”

2014 NFL Combine Getty Images

The Vikings’ linebackers coach, Adam Zimmer, is the son of the Vikings’ head coach, Mike Zimmer.

Father is proud of his son — and he is proud of his son’s work, as he showed on Friday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

“My son, Adam, is brilliant,” Mike Zimmer said on Friday. “I’ve always told everybody he’s smarter than me, better person than me, everything about him. And that’s kind of what dads want anyway, right?

“But the players tell me how good he is. The coaches that are there in Minnesota, they say, ‘Wow, Adam knows his stuff like (crazy), he says it just like you,’ all these different things. That to me is what makes me feel good about it.”

Before joining the Vikings’ staff, Adam Zimmer had stints with the Bengals (assistant defensive backs coach, 2013), Chiefs (assistant linebackers coach / defensive assistant, 2010-2012) and Saints (defensive assistant / assistant linebackers coach, 2006-2009).

Zimmer’s remarks about his son came in response about a question about their relationship.

“I think we’re always father-and-son, to an extent, you know,” Zimmer said. “His office is way on the other end of mine, and so what I’ll do is I’ll take a break and I’ll just walk over there to his office and I say, ‘How you doing?’ “

It’s always nice to see a father and son happily working together. It appears especially sweet for Mike Zimmer, given his clear confidence in Adam Zimmer’s abilities.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
43 Responses to “Mike Zimmer on Adam Zimmer: “(The) players tell me how good he is””
  1. nwfisch says: Feb 21, 2014 12:32 PM

I’m a Bear fan, bu I really like what Minnesota has going on up there. I think they’ll be putting together a contending team this year.

2. thevikesarebest says: Feb 21, 2014 12:34 PM

The v IKINGS will find the best prospects and make sure we have the hands down best draft.we have the best coaching staff and scouting department.we will achieve greatness next season no matter who is in our way.SKOL

3. ravenswhat says: Feb 21, 2014 12:34 PM

Nepotism in the NFL is unlike anything I have ever heard of anywhere. It’s truly unreal.

4. tjacks7 says: Feb 21, 2014 12:40 PM

I already love Zimmer. Exactly what this team needs after Childress and Frazier combined brought zero personality to table.

5. mburkett1980 says: Feb 21, 2014 12:42 PM

Ah yes, nothing like some good ol’ nepotism to help get your career started.

6. skins2357 says: Feb 21, 2014 12:45 PM

The father/son relationship worked really well in DC! Not saying it cant work for you MINN fans, but be weary and tread lightly……

7. thegrey7 says: Feb 21, 2014 12:48 PM

Not trying to trash the Zimmers… but dude, people aren’t going to go to the head coach and tell him his son is an idiot.

8. filthymcnasty1 says: Feb 21, 2014 12:50 PM

With Speildope targeting the next Jay Fiedler in the draft, this team has bigger worries than Zimmer handing out jobs to family members.

9. hornbuckle says: Feb 21, 2014 12:50 PM

As a Bengal fan I wish he was our head coach. He will be hard to replace.

10. theageofquarrel says: Feb 21, 2014 12:51 PM

The Vikings are a joke

11. timbuttrum says: Feb 21, 2014 12:53 PM

As a Skins fan, I think we hired the wrong Bengal coordinator.

12. nonetruerthanblue says: Feb 21, 2014 12:56 PM

Mike Zimmer is no joke and everyone in the league knows it. Keep an eye on Minnesota. A lot of talent up there. Once they clean up QB position, watch out.

13. weepingjebus says: Feb 21, 2014 12:57 PM

“It’s amazing, all the assistant coaches who depend on me for their careers and livelihoods keep telling me how great my son is and how they love having him around.”

14. theleaguesbest says: Feb 21, 2014 12:57 PM

How did that last father and son team-up do in Washington? This franchise is a joke. Maybe they can win in an arena league once their new stadium is built.

15. karlton3 says: Feb 21, 2014 12:58 PM

“What could possibly go wrong?”

– Mike and Kyle Shanahan

16. Denver Geldings - Super Bowl Castration... AGAIN!!!! says: Feb 21, 2014 1:01 PM

Is that a pic of David Koechner?

17. darkneptune73 says: Feb 21, 2014 1:10 PM

Meanwhile, the guys in Wisconsin are taking notes on how to fix their defense.

18. magbastard says: Feb 21, 2014 1:10 PM

Congratulations to Adam Zimmer for striking out on his own and boldly making his way in the world, his way. – Stephen Jones and Bob Irsay.

19. thespeaker6 says: Feb 21, 2014 1:11 PM

Yes, this situation is obviously the exact same as it was in Washington and the Zimmers are obviously clones of the Shanahans. Great take guys.

20. ariani1985 says: Feb 21, 2014 1:12 PM

See green bay, it’s coaches like this that have bumped you out of the nfl playoffs 5 years in a row in the first round.

21. purpleguy says: Feb 21, 2014 1:12 PM

Not a fan of nepotism, but I do like Zimmer.

22. filthymcnasty1 says: Feb 21, 2014 1:14 PM

Zimmer needs to change the entire culture of losing, because the Vikings have a losing record that dates all the way back to the beginning of the millennium.

23. engage47 says: Feb 21, 2014 1:15 PM

Ah, Adam is a position coach (linebackers) not a coordinator – so the comparison to the redskins is ridiculous…Plus there are plenty of places where family members work great together…

24. tavisteelersfan says: Feb 21, 2014 1:20 PM

I am as in love with my boys and girl as you can be, and I want them to get every opportunity in live I can provide for them. I also am very certain they are quality people … not an ounce of doubt.

I also know that if I am a linebacker on the Vikings and I am getting heat from my coach I got no where to turn. I sure as heck can’t complain to the head coach about my LB coach. Nobody has my back in this mess.

25. jazz11001 says: Feb 21, 2014 1:28 PM

It does start at the top. Zim is a class act and I would expect nothing different from his kid or Norvs kid. The Ryan family has been successful doing it as well so cudos to the team and Lets go get Clowney!

26. beerndrums says: Feb 21, 2014 1:40 PM

It doesn’t matter who coaches the Vikings.They will be playing outside more and they are a horrible outdoor team.They need a sissy dome to even compete

27. hawkitrond says: Feb 21, 2014 1:42 PM

I had to look up David Koechner, but that is a good one, he looks just like that dude

28. davikes says: Feb 21, 2014 1:44 PM

Leaders with positive styles do better than those who are negative. Just look at Pete Carroll. Who would you rather play for, Carroll or Shanahan/Shiano etc…

29. stellarperformance says: Feb 21, 2014 2:21 PM

The Packers endured a first round loss only twice in the last five years, 2009 and 2013. 2010 was the SuperBowl year…hardly a loss. 2011 and 2012 were Divisional Round losses. And the Packers OWN THE VIKINGS. You left that part out.

30. whatjusthapped says: Feb 21, 2014 2:23 PM

Of the top 50 challenges facing the Vikings in 2014, Nepotism would be hard pressed to crack the top 45.

Still, it represents a flash point for the organization where things start to turn south. And if there is anything more dependable than the Swallows of San Juan Capistrano, its the Viking’s season heading south. That’s when things could really start to get ugly, so ugly, that the Vikings fans will long for the days of Childress and 12 men in the huddle.

31. shaggytoodle says: Feb 21, 2014 2:30 PM

Fans need to realize he is going to have a REALLY short leash.

With a new stadium in the works, they need to be competitive, or he won’t be the HC when it opens.

The problem is they have a lot of work to do, losing a third of their games by 2 TDs or more. With their best players on the beginning the downslope of their career.

32. backdapack4evr says: Feb 21, 2014 2:30 PM

Talk is cheap!!
    This guy has the whole state fooled!!
    Next he will run for governor!!
    Lol

33. swadehoo says: Feb 21, 2014 2:51 PM

Meanwhile, George Zimmer says that they will like the way they look. He guarantees it.

34. backdapack4evr says: Feb 21, 2014 3:23 PM

Another NFL circus!!!
    Their new stadium will be under a big top!!!
    Big attraction is a guy with a rubber arm throwing the ball!
    Lol

35. ariani1985 says: Feb 21, 2014 3:29 PM

In turd we still trust? Come on queen bay, your 5 game losing streak in the playoffs getting to your head.

36. filthymcnasty1 says: Feb 21, 2014 3:51 PM

It’s MN. Family comes first.

Especially when dating.

37. seals1 says: Feb 21, 2014 4:09 PM

The apple usually falls close the tree good or bad. Zimmer is not going to bring junior in if he needed a helmet to get to work.

Win or Lose as a fan it’s nice to see a coach with some stones. Frazier was a nice guy but when you have to start every sentence about Frazier with “he is a nice guy”,,,,,,,,,,,,he probably can’t run a football team.

Welcome to the Vikings Adam, you are running a position that needs plenty of help so you have your work cut out.

Start with a FAT tackle so every team isn’t hitting the second level full speed. Need another Fat Pat for LB’s.

38. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 22, 2014 10:45 AM

He’s just happy to not have to coach the overrated Defense of the Bengals. And he feels good that he has years of experience with a crappy QB, it’ll come in handy.

39. chrispin53 says: Feb 22, 2014 7:57 PM

Mike Zimmer will be one of the best head coaches in the NFL. I’m not a Vikings fan, (bengals fan). But I’ll be pulling for them in every game they don’t play cinci.

40. shaggytoodle says: Feb 22, 2014 9:49 PM

@Chrispin53

For your sake don’t do it, its obviously really hard on people, and I would hate to see how fast senility settles in.

41. jm91rs says: Feb 24, 2014 8:36 AM

ravenswhat says: Feb 21, 2014 12:34 PM

___________________________________

But who knows more about the ins and outs of football than a coach’s family? I think this is an industry where it makes a lot of sense that so many family members would be involved. I also think Zimmer comes off as the type that would have no problem firing a family member if he wasn’t pulling his own weight.

42. funshipm174 says: Feb 24, 2014 7:47 PM

I’m sure Ziggy & Marc Wilf may not agree with the whole Nepotism thought conversion going on.

43. fmc651 says: Mar 4, 2014 1:13 AM

Only negative about Zimmer’s job hire – the sons of both Zim and Turner on staff. Could they work out yeah. Mike Shula comes to mind too however.