Teddy Bridgewater wants to go first overall too

bridgewater AP

Johnny Manziel and Blake Bortles took turns pleading their cases to the Texans yesterday. Saturday, Louisville quarterback said he thought he deserved to go first overall also.

“Oh yes, no doubt, I feel that I’m the best quarterback in this draft,” Bridgewater said. “I’m a competitor.”

He won’t throw at the Combine this weekend, but will run the 40, saving the rest of his showcasing for Louisville’s pro day. He said that was because he was a bit of a perfectionist (since throwing in a perfectly controlled environment makes it easier to succeed).

Bridgewater said he’s bulked up since college, adding nine pounds to his frame already. As to the other physical concern, he downplayed his smallish hands (9 1/4 inches), saying “with my accuracy, my arm strength, my decision-making,” it won’t matter.

Bridgewater said he’s met with the owners and General Managers of the Jaguars and Raiders already, as they try to gauge the quarterbacks leftover after the top two picks.

But he’s still looking forward to talking to Texans coach Bill O’Brien, in hopes of making those meetings a moot point.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Teddy Bridgewater wants to go first overall too”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 22, 2014 3:04 PM

This guy came out a year ago. But he called himself Geno Smith at that time.

2. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 22, 2014 3:05 PM

“I’m sorry to take so long to decide about throwing. My agent couldn’t make up his mind.”.

3. 4allintensivepurposes says: Feb 22, 2014 3:09 PM

Does that Jeneane Garafolo guy get to state his case too? Where do we draw the line?

4. nooittall says: Feb 22, 2014 3:09 PM

All these quarterbacks are saying they want to be the first pick in the draft and how competitive they all are, but none of them want to compete against each other at the combine. Tells me a little something about these guys. “Me thinks thou doest protest too much”.

5. meatcarroll says: Feb 22, 2014 3:11 PM

And I want to be Mr. Jennifer Lawrence.

6. realnflmaster says: Feb 22, 2014 3:12 PM

He’s not even throwing at the combine. What a loser.

7. doe22us says: Feb 22, 2014 3:14 PM

I still dont get why some players dont throw or go all out at the combine, if you are a competitor, you play in any condition and environment. You are not always going to get the most ideal conditions in the NFL.

8. anicra says: Feb 22, 2014 3:20 PM

Clearly the next Vikings QB

9. azjohnny says: Feb 22, 2014 3:23 PM

IMO Bridgewater is the most complete QB and if you are running a WC type of offense he would be the guy!

10. grruffgrruff says: Feb 22, 2014 3:30 PM

I’d love to hear…”I don’t care where I get drafted or which team drafts me. I just want to play football” So far, of the 3, only Bortles seems the most humble.

11. seahawksbmx says: Feb 22, 2014 3:34 PM

I recall Aaron Curry saying he wanted to be the #1 pick in the 2009 draft and even offered the Lions a discounted contract if they’d take him. Was gonna say I wish they bit, but I guess things have worked out well for the Seahawks regardless of getting bamboozled by that bust.

12. alshonbrandontandem says: Feb 22, 2014 3:45 PM

If you want to be #1 overall, prove it at the combine and throw. I think he goes 4 to Cleveland personally. Sorry Browns fans…

13. thevikesarebest says: Feb 22, 2014 3:45 PM

And packer fans want their franchise to be on the Vikings level.unfortunately the vikings will always be better.SKOL

14. seatownballers says: Feb 22, 2014 3:56 PM

Vikings fans I understand that you are excited but calm down already. Borles Manziel bridgewater all gonna be gone by #8. You should be begging management to upgrade that stink of a defense

15. nahcouldntbethat says: Feb 22, 2014 3:57 PM

He won’t throw at the combine because he’s a perfectionist who wants the perfectly controlled environment of the Louisville Pro Day?

AYFKM?

This guy is not going #1.

#1 is not afraid to throw on the windiest day in front of the biggest critics in the land.

Nothing against Bridgewater but if you invest a high pick in this guy you better hope you have a perfectly controlled environment for him to play in. You’re going to be sorry otherwise.

16. sourwine15 says: Feb 22, 2014 3:59 PM

Only way he makes it to 4 (and Cleveland) is if somehow Clowney AND Bridgewater are there at 3 and the Jags decide to go Clowney. Otherwise, Bridgewater will be a Jag at 3 – if he’s there.

Things are looking very bright for the Jags in this draft. Caldwell is what Gene Smith wasn’t.

17. therealraider says: Feb 22, 2014 4:00 PM

Blake Bortles is the only top QB with the Stones to throw at the combine.

18. thestrategyexpert says: Feb 22, 2014 4:13 PM

Bridgewater’s game is all about throwing prowess, or at least he did show some good moves when he ran with it a couple times. But stepping up to the challenge to compete at the combine would have been really strong for him. This was more of an opportunity to improve his stock and he declines? A pocket passer like this I want to see how he can throw in uncontrolled conditions and with the pressure on. I think it’s going to cost him a little bit on draft day.

19. djshnooks says: Feb 22, 2014 4:58 PM

Big hands are key…that’s why Russell Wilson can do so much with the ball.

Small hands will cause issues, just watch.

20. kingleo17 says: Feb 22, 2014 5:05 PM

As a Raiders fan I want them to trade down so they get an extra pick. After all the Raiders have many holes to fix. If the Raiders pick a QB with the first pick I guarantee they again will be looking for a QB in years to come. They have to solidify their OLine first.

21. shaggytoodle says: Feb 22, 2014 5:19 PM

Me too, but I will probably be go as an undrafted free agent, much like I did in the NBA.

22. detectivejimmymcnulty says: Feb 22, 2014 5:24 PM

djshnooks says:
    Feb 22, 2014 4:58 PM
    Big hands are key…that’s why Russell Wilson can do so much with the ball.

Small hands will cause issues, just watch.

Ding ding ding. Manziel had huge hands which bodes well for him if the team drafting him is the right fit.

23. beerndrums says: Feb 22, 2014 5:47 PM

He’s gonna be a bust.Just like that RGIII guy

24. chrisk61 says: Feb 22, 2014 6:04 PM

of the 3 hyped qb’s — bortles, manziel and bridgewater — only bortles has the intangibles to make it in nfl. i pity da fools who pick the other 2. bad picks who will set your franchise back another 3-4 yrs. like gabbert, weeden and ponder.

25. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 22, 2014 6:54 PM

Bortles is throwing because he has to. Like the ugly girls who have to pay a cover charge at the door.

26. fordmandalay says: Feb 22, 2014 7:08 PM

Vikings don’t need to draft a QB, they’ll be signing Michael Vick pretty soon. Dream Team!

27. jjh1982 says: Feb 22, 2014 8:23 PM

Vikings = preseason champs

28. f1restarter says: Feb 22, 2014 8:25 PM

Sure he wants to be #1. He sure as heck doesn’t want to be #8. That would be a career-destroyer.

29. ryann252013 says: Feb 22, 2014 8:53 PM

4allintensivepurposes says:
    Feb 22, 2014 3:09 PM

———————————–

You murdered the crap out of his name

30. ghengy says: Feb 22, 2014 9:58 PM

Bridgewater sucks.

31. bigdogsolec says: Feb 22, 2014 10:29 PM

QBS deciding NOT TO THROW at the comine ,but at there pro day . “BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SAVE THERE ARM STRENGHT “?
    if they havn’t figred out how to do 2 throwing sessions in a row HOW are they gonna handle throwing every sunday?

32. broncobeta says: Feb 22, 2014 10:38 PM

But… I want to go first overall too!