Max Bullough claims Rose Bowl suspension won’t hurt draft stock

maxbullough AP

Former Michigan State linebacker Max Bullough’s college career came to an abrupt and early end when he was suspended for the Rose Bowl for a violation of team rules. But Bullough says that incident won’t affect where he gets drafted.

Bullough said at the Scouting Combine that he has spoken with several teams and they tell him that they don’t consider him a character risk.

“They all know what happened and the situation, and moving forward it’s not going to affect my draft stock whatsoever,” Bullough said, via Josh Katzenstein of the Detroit News.

Frankly, that’s a little hard to believe: NFL teams always consider a player’s off-field issues when they decide where to place him on their draft boards, and a player who missed the biggest game of his college career because he wouldn’t or couldn’t follow team rules is a player NFL teams are going to hesitate about. Michigan State never explained which team rules Bullough broke, and Bullough is refusing to say.

“That’s a situation that I’m not discussing right now,” he said. “It’s a personal issue, and I’m moving forward from it. I made a mistake. I let down my teammates, I let down my coaches, I let down my family, but right now I’m looking forward to the NFL.””

Bullough has to hope NFL teams are convinced he won’t let them down with another off-field mistake.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Max Bullough claims Rose Bowl suspension won’t hurt draft stock”
  1. aldante66 says: Feb 23, 2014 12:26 PM

Can’t even man up about about screwing the fans, his team his family. He is just sorry he got caught is what it comes down to.

2. legionofboom88 says: Feb 23, 2014 12:51 PM

What did he do?

3. garyhd01 says: Feb 23, 2014 1:31 PM

to me its not what can he do its what did he do?? did he go bail out a friend at the teams expense or was he chasing skirt??

4. metrocritical says: Feb 23, 2014 3:18 PM

He’s carrying he same kind of attitude that torpedoed the grand finale to his college career. The truth will come out eventually and it would play a lot better if he had the maturity and character to tell it himself.

5. matt2calvin says: Feb 23, 2014 3:21 PM

I don’t KNOW what he did, but I do know that he didn’t break any laws.

In my mind, that only leaves two options.

Roids

or

Agents

Anything else that would earn the suspension would also be against the law. His name does not appear on any police statistics.

6. laxcoach37 says: Feb 23, 2014 5:04 PM

I am pretty sure his violation was related to a Tutoring scandal. The same academic violations that UNC Chapel Hill Football had. It is not illegal, but a form Plagerism is really frowned upon. This is what a personal friend told me and she is an Associate Professor there.

7. rajbais says: Feb 23, 2014 6:50 PM

That won’t hurt his draft stock. The 20 LB weight gain at the shrine game will.