1379639089000-AP-REDSKINS-PACKERS-FOOTBALL-58463880 AP

As the NFL moves toward eradicating the N-word from its playing fields and locker rooms, one of the league’s teams continues to defend its ongoing insistence to be known as the R-word.

For the third time in the last two weeks, the Washington Redskins have issued “Community Voices,” a collection of unverified statements of support for the name that have been spontaneously submitted to the team without solicitation.

The four unverified pieces of correspondence released on Monday come under the following introductory paragraph:  “The Native American community faces many challenges, such as insufficient healthcare, high unemployment and substandard housing, but our name is not an issue their community is focused on. When asked about our name, the American people, including Native Americans, understand the pride and heritage it represents. Below are a few more messages we have received from the Native American community.”

The four new messages come from “[m]ore than 7,000 letters and emails” received by the team after owner Daniel Snyder published an open letter in October 2013 defending the team’s name.  The organization claims that the group included “almost 200 people who identified themselves as Native Americans or as family members of Native Americans,” and that only seven letters from Native Americans opposed the name.

It’s the third collection of letters of support published by the team since February 10.  At the rate of three or four per weeks, this will last for an entire year.

Which means that, by the time the tank is empty, we’ll be one year closer to the inevitable changing of the name.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
18 Responses to “Redskins continue to release unverified statements of support from Native Americans”
  1. bigwalt2990 says: Feb 24, 2014 9:48 AM

You can find something offensive about every team’s name or logo if you look hard enough with a creative enough imagination…(man eating animals, raiders, saints)Native Americans have nothing else to complain about? From an outsider’s prospective, they’ve got their priorities out of order. They should be focusing manpower on things that matter.

2. jimmyt says: Feb 24, 2014 9:49 AM

Don’t hold your breath. Well, on second thought…

3. raiderufan says: Feb 24, 2014 10:03 AM

That’s one of the most ignorant signs I’ve ever read.

If it’s even close to the same level as the “N word” than please explain to me why I’ve literally never in my entire life heard the term Redskin used to demean someone of native american descent and yet I’ve heard the “N Word” more times than I care to hear? How come in all the old westerns it’s never the term used to describe native americans? They say the “N word” plenty…If it’s on the same level please explain the Native American communities using it as the team nickname for the local high schools yet not a whole lot of black communities or predominantly black colleges are using the “N word”? Give me a break with that sign.

The Native Americans of this country have been thru a lot of terrible things that never should’ve happened in a decent society and still do. I know they have plenty of civil rights arguments to fight and deserve to win…but that sign is just stupid.

4. clevelandschronic2 says: Feb 24, 2014 10:28 AM

The name is a disgrace but the fans and owner are too ignorant to realize this. Instead they defend this at every turn like sheep.

5. thomme26 says: Feb 24, 2014 10:48 AM

The day that you wake up a Native American or suffer what they suffered is the day that you can judge what these people do. How is it that you’re a “native” to a region yet you’re virtually extinct. Smh it’s sad. There are so few of them.. Of course one of them would make a sign like that to get some attention. I don’t blame them.

6. andrewluck12 says: Feb 24, 2014 11:08 AM

my grandmother is a memeber of the potawatimi indians in indiana. and guess what? she told me she doesn’t find the term offensive at all. So there you go another person of native american decent who isn’t offended by the name.

7. iamkillerfin says: Feb 24, 2014 11:28 AM

It has been the Redskins since ’52 & all these sensitive IDIOTS are just now complaining??? Don’t worry IDIOT Goodell will change it soon, he changes everything else for the worse!!!

8. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Feb 24, 2014 11:33 AM

Since when is right and wrong determined by a popularity contest?

9. cfballfan1 says: Feb 24, 2014 12:07 PM

Where is the media outrage over the use of the N-word in popular culture, regardless of who uses it? Where are the endless number of articles / posts about support for the rumored 15 – yd penalty for use of this label?

At least be consistent with your moral outrages.

10. themagicfanguy says: Feb 24, 2014 12:30 PM

Since when does the media decide what’s right and wrong?

11. tonychavis says: Feb 24, 2014 12:31 PM

People when are we going to let this go.. I myself a Native American DO NOT find this name offensive.

12. xbam1 says: Feb 24, 2014 12:37 PM

the fact that they would do this is pathetic…and screams Danny Snyder…

13. dctony51 says: Feb 24, 2014 1:55 PM

As a Redskin fan, all my life & a native Washingtonian, I am truly sick of hearing & reading about this name change. It seems as when there is a “no news” day , this subject crops up. Once and for all; LEAVE THE REDSKIN NAME ALONE!!! Play some games in DC, so they can be at least Washington.

14. pftcensor1 says: Feb 24, 2014 2:13 PM

As someone who self identifies as a Native American (the way Senator Warren self-identifies as a Native American) I have no issue with the name.

15. mediasloppy says: Feb 24, 2014 4:18 PM

Let’s use the 3rd paragraph as an example of why the name may be derogatory.

The four unverified pieces of correspondence released on Monday come under the following introductory paragraph: “The Redskin community faces many challenges, such as insufficient healthcare, high unemployment and substandard housing, but our name is not an issue their community is focused on. When asked about our name, the American people, including Redskins, understand the pride and heritage it represents. Below are a few more messages we have received from the Redskin community.”

I’m so tired of this topic, but it just dawned on me if the name wasn’t offensive why is it so strikingly clear interchanging the names is controversy itself.

16. seaeagle707 says: Feb 24, 2014 4:41 PM

If its a statement by N.A.’s in support of the name, its “unverified”. If its critical of the name verification isn’t even mentioned.

The progressive “fix” is in.

17. wallymac187 says: Feb 24, 2014 11:34 PM

Redskin is a word. look at the emblem, I see a warrior, I see respect toward the “native americans” I see pride ect (what do u see).
    {Cleveland}, Indians is a word. look at the emblem, I see a clown, a joke of a person, (what do u see), im offended as a human from their depiction of a “native American”.
    I am offended if im called a “cracker” but, I don’t know, I might get some pride being called a “whiteskin”. yeah I like it. im a whiteskin deal with it.

18. shaunhall1978 says: Feb 25, 2014 10:24 AM

“Verified” or not doesn’t matter. Again, there are school on reservations that proudly use the word. My wife and her father are Sioux, my grandfather, mom and I are Cherokee and none of us find it offensive. There’s another source of support for you. Buy your own team and name it what you want. There is nothing derogatory about the Washington Redskins that has ever been used in a demeaning way. They won’t ever directly affect anyone other than their fans. Truth of the matter is the word goes back way further than the media is reporting and in it’s original context was never meant as a slur. And being that context is everything people, the way it’s used for the team IS NOT as a slur. Dictionary says “usually offensive”, not “always offensive”. Context is everything people! Facts that blow your mind. http://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/native-american-culture/war-paint.htm