Marcus Lattimore can’t wait for April 21 comeback

Marcus Lattimore AP

While the interesting moves the 49ers might make at running back this offseason involve veterans, they have another guy coming back who is ready to insert himself into the mix.

Second-year back Marcus Lattimore, coming off a red-shirt season of sorts, said he was close to 100 percent.

“The left knee, it feels like nothing ever happened,” Lattimore told Pete Iacobelli of the Associated Press. “The right knee, it feels great. Both feel balanced. I’ve got my speed and I rarely get any soreness [after workouts].”

That’s great news for the 49ers, who were able to get the highly successful South Carolina back in the fourth round last year, after a pair of gruesome knee injuries ended his college career, and kept him off the field his rookie year.

He’s hoping to be back on the field and ready to go when the 49ers resume offseason conditioning on April 21.

“I can’t go out there and be Superman the first day,” he said. “Once I get back in the groove and take a few hits, I’ll be OK.”

The hits won’t come until the preseason, unless the 49ers are breaking some rules.

But if Lattimore’s well, he’s talented enough to give the 49ers some options in the backfield, after Frank Gore took 75 percent of the snaps a year ago. And at his bargain rate, he gives them that chance for years to come.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
27 Responses to “Marcus Lattimore can’t wait for April 21 comeback”
  1. ingraven says: Feb 25, 2014 4:41 PM

I’m looking forward to see how he’s gonna do in the pros. 49ers have a stable of running backs that can all do some damage.

2. seaeagle707 says: Feb 25, 2014 4:50 PM

His first year in the NFL, must’ve been a minor hell for him, wanting to play, but unable to do so. The last thing a player wants to do during the season, is watch games from the sidelines, without even a chance to touch the turf.

Emancipation day is nearly here Marcus, just go easy until the docs say otherwise. Don’t be in a hurry to emulate RGIII’s mistakes.

3. noleitup says: Feb 25, 2014 5:01 PM

and the rich get richer. what a steal this dude was.

4. indymarc says: Feb 25, 2014 5:05 PM

Best wishes to Marcus.

5. schmitty2 says: Feb 25, 2014 5:07 PM

I hate the Niners but can’t help but cheer for this kid after the luck he has had.

6. bleedredandgold16 says: Feb 25, 2014 5:12 PM

Loved watching him in college, and I was super stoked when my niners picked him up. Out of all the recent draft picks, he is the one I am most excited to see. Hope he’s made a full recovery.

7. realfootballfan says: Feb 25, 2014 5:19 PM

Clowney should have been going “hard” like him, right Steve Spurrier? It sure helped him out with that draft day tumble after looking like a special back during his South Carolina career.

8. tjacks7 says: Feb 25, 2014 5:23 PM

Is there seriously no hitting in training camp? None at all?

9. thelastwordyaheard says: Feb 25, 2014 5:45 PM

he was excellent in college, but overhyped.. no top end speed to break away for long runs.. I hate to say it, but I think his successor Mike Davis is a better all around back

10. oxnard4 says: Feb 25, 2014 5:45 PM

As a Cardinal season ticket holder no matter where Marcus plays I will be rooting for him. There needs to be more like him in this world.

11. tmcb7 says: Feb 25, 2014 5:46 PM

i don’t know anyone who doesn’t root for this guy. sucks he’s a 49er tho.

12. bubba9er says: Feb 25, 2014 5:48 PM

If this dude gets his knees straight, and the O-line stays healthy, Frank could play until he’s 40 not having to take all the heavy load and staying fresh for the whole season.

13. afcdomination says: Feb 25, 2014 6:01 PM

rooting for him. but also somewhat wincing whenever he runs, as I just think of all those scars on his knees, and hope that he doesn’t have another horrific injury. they are pretty traumatic and 1 more would probably do it for him. hope someone just takes the 15 yard penalty instead of going low

14. bsmitty32 says: Feb 25, 2014 6:10 PM

Fantasy gold….

15. indychiefsfan says: Feb 25, 2014 6:30 PM

Good luck to this young man. He was a beast before the injury.

16. vx2014 says: Feb 25, 2014 6:41 PM

Can’t wait to see Lattimore do some damage. Go 9ers…

17. realitycheckbaby says: Feb 25, 2014 7:19 PM

Wonder who will coach him…

18. raymondtx says: Feb 25, 2014 8:22 PM

You would think he is the second coming of Barry freaking sanders the way niner fans keep patting themselves on the back.

Signed htown.

19. geicocaveman says: Feb 25, 2014 8:53 PM

I have seen a lot of his games, a stud back. I hope the knee is good before he starts to get contact. The West gets stronger

20. eaglesnoles05 says: Feb 25, 2014 9:09 PM

@thelastwordyaheard -”… overhyped… no top end speed to break away for long runs.. “??? Are you talking about Lattimore? Or the NFL’s alltime rushing leader HOF RB Emmitt Smith? Yeah.

Top-end speed does not a great RB make. Healthy knees do though, and that is the ONLY thing that will keep this guy from being great-to-HOF-great.

21. dolphins512 says: Feb 25, 2014 9:38 PM

I’m rooting for this kid. He was great at South Carolina and has had buzzards luck with his injuries.

Good luck Marcus!

22. smackingfools says: Feb 25, 2014 10:55 PM

This dude is a winner. Don’t be surprised by anything he accomplishes.

23. brownsmakemecrazy says: Feb 26, 2014 1:21 AM

Hope he comes back from his gruesome injury. Im cheering for this guy to comeback and do great things.

24. jtm12180 says: Feb 26, 2014 5:28 AM

Neither can we Marcus, neither can we…

Signed,
    Your USC Family

25. steelerben says: Feb 26, 2014 12:19 PM

This kid is going to be something special if his health holds out. Being given the full year to recover and then being able to go through an entire offseason conditioning program should really help him to be successful. It also doesn’t hurt that with three backs he won’t have to worry about handling 25-30 carries a game.

26. paythevig says: Feb 26, 2014 1:39 PM

Can’t wait to see what the kid can do; question is – who gets cut/traded/relegated to ST?

Gore (love him) has a little gas left in the tank; Hunter, while effective – i don’t think he’s built to be a lead back; James – for the love of god the 49ers seem to be underutilizing this explosive talent, Boobie Dixon – Soul of ST, but i think he’s walking…

Good problems to have i suppose, but can’t play em all, and would sure be a waste to sit 4 starting caliber backs.

27. thebirdofprey2 says: Feb 27, 2014 11:16 PM

I remember watching him in college and it was the closest thing to Adrian Peterson at Oklahoma before the horrific injury happened. I thought it was done for him after that.

Reading his story, listening to college teammates and coaches talk about how hard he was working to get back to his dream I thought I will cheer for this guy to have success in the NFL. Didn’t expect the 49ers to draft him but I think Frank Gore would be the perfect guy to learn from.