T.O. says he can still play

Terrell Owens AP

Last year, future Hall of Fame receiver Terrell Owens said that he’ll retire if no one signs him during the 2013 season.  It now sounds like he’s still not ready to call it a career.

“No doubt there’s not a question that I can still play,” Owens recently told the Associated Press.  “But perception, media portrayal is so negative.  Any time there’s a rumor that a team is interested in bringing me in, there’s all this media attention, and the negative things they have to say are more than the positives.  It’s not about what I can bring to them.  It’s about stuff I did five, 10 years ago.”

The biggest question now is whether, at age 40, he’s the player he was five, 10 years ago.

“They brought up my age when I was 35, 36 and I’m still in just as good shape as I was then,” Owens said. “Jerry [Rice] played until he was 42.  At 39, I ran a 4.43 40-yard dash.  You look at the number of dropped balls and the way guys are playing now and you can’t honestly say I can’t do better.”

While Owens continues to blame others for the fact that he hasn’t played in the NFL since the 2010 season, he makes a good point when pointing out the fact that he has never gotten into any trouble with the law.

“You look at some of the stuff guys are doing now, domestic violence, players killing players, just everything,” Owens said. “You have so many guys with off-the-field problems, drug issues, alcohol problems and they’re still given second chances and third chances. They’re putting them in rehab and keeping them on the team. I never had those issues. It’s disappointing.”

In fairness to guys like Ray Rice, Josh Brent, and Aldon Smith (all of whom Owens indirectly referred to in the above quote), T.O. has had other issues.  Regarded as a bad teammate at times and a chronic malcontent at others, Owens has been with enough teams (six) for enough people in the league to know how he operates.  Right or wrong, teams have opted not to do business with a guy who was one of the very best in the business during his prime.

For now, Owens is two years away from first consideration for the Hall of Fame.  If/when he’s giving an induction speech in August 2016, Owens probably will declare at age 42 that he can still play.

And he’ll surely blame someone else for the fact that he’s not.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
38 Responses to “T.O. says he can still play”
  1. tv426 says: Feb 25, 2014 8:12 AM

I can still play too – I’m only 50. Please pay me millions to placate my massive ego.

2. jerruhjones says: Feb 25, 2014 8:16 AM

Play what?

3. joetoronto says: Feb 25, 2014 8:17 AM

This level of desperation borders on pathetic.

The guy blew multiple millions and even though we all know he’s done, he’s telling us he isn’t.

4. eagleswinitall says: Feb 25, 2014 8:19 AM

“That’s my quarter back!” sniffle sniffle

5. orivar says: Feb 25, 2014 8:21 AM

And I believe it. He is in some insane shape. I know football isn’t hockey but Teemo Selanne is another one still going strong. I would like TO’s workout regiment.

6. doubleogator says: Feb 25, 2014 8:21 AM

A legend in his own mind…

7. jimmyt says: Feb 25, 2014 8:21 AM

Discrimination.

8. gbmickey says: Feb 25, 2014 8:25 AM

Can he please just go away.

9. GenoAtkinswillnotbestopped says: Feb 25, 2014 8:25 AM

I believe him.

10. qdog112 says: Feb 25, 2014 8:27 AM

Owens has never been treated fairly, when it comes to staying in the league. There was never drop off in his skills enough to keep him out. He is right that there was always something else. Coach killer, locker room killer, etc.

Never did he do anything remotely criminal, but he was so hated that the media salivated in hopes he was caught doing something to justify his ban. He never did.

He’s clearly been black balled and a quick look at his most recent stats, proves he was shutout, but not because of his inability to play. Too bad he was forced out. Just imagine him sexting to a selfie, like Farve did.

11. southpaw2k says: Feb 25, 2014 8:30 AM

“No doubt there’s not a question….”

I guess nobody didn’t teach T.O. basic grammar in school.

12. psj3809 says: Feb 25, 2014 8:32 AM

I’m sure he can play, but its his own fault hes not. Hes like a huge one man media circus, he loves the attention, fans just want to see him play and not see all the off field crap which surrounds him.

Hes only got himself to blame, just a massive massive ego.

13. unclebluck says: Feb 25, 2014 8:33 AM

He played for my Bills a few years ago for 1 season and was a model teammate….but he dropped a lot of balls………

14. wtfchiefs says: Feb 25, 2014 8:33 AM

There’s a difference between being in shape and being able to play. Lots of people are in good shape that are not able to play football anymore. It’s also ironic he brought up drops because he had the drops big time when he played. So if a team wants a 40 year old in great shape that runs a 4.4, has the drops, and tore apart just about every locker room he’s been in, go ahead and sign him. TO only wants a comeback because he has no life skills that can allow him to pay his baby mommas other than running and catching a football.

I’ll also mention that Darrel Green reportedly ran a 4.4 on his 50th birthday but he’s not trying a comeback.

15. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Feb 25, 2014 8:38 AM

He had a dream opportunity in Seattle, with a laid-back coach on a then-WR-starved team on the rise.

And it was his dreadful performance that got him crap-canned. It was not attitude. It was performance — suggesting very very strongly that’s dunzo. A spent bullet.

T.O. really blew an amazing opp back then – and it was all because of gawdawful play. That has to gnaw at him – when he contemplates what might have been.

16. phillyshouldsignmaclin says: Feb 25, 2014 8:45 AM

I say why not let him have redemption in Philly

17. ariani1985 says: Feb 25, 2014 8:47 AM

Yeah, and green bay can play defense.

18. thevikesarebest says: Feb 25, 2014 8:50 AM

It’s fitting

19. wishingtonredslur says: Feb 25, 2014 8:52 AM

You’re comparing open fire on a crowded street, drug abuse, manslaughter, and punching a woman in the face to being a selfish teammate? I don’t think the scales of justice balance out on that deal.

20. bigjim50010 says: Feb 25, 2014 8:54 AM

His physical aspects were never the question… its his attitude and motivation

21. folkcrusader says: Feb 25, 2014 9:01 AM

I have no doubt the guy can still play, when he was in camp with the ‘hawks two season ago he was running great routes and getting separation in a very fine secondary unit.

There was though a serious problem with his hands…

22. phillyhoosier says: Feb 25, 2014 9:07 AM

1. No, TO hasn’t had any run-ins with the laws, and plenty of players have and haven’t been blackballed from the league as a result. The sad truth is though, that TO’s brand of drama queen antics destroy locker rooms. Arrests really don’t.

2. TO to this day continues to absolve himself of all responsibilty and hold himself blameless for all of the nonsense he’s been involved in. With that being the case, why on earth should a coach or GM assume that pattern won’t continue?

23. JackedUpSports says: Feb 25, 2014 9:08 AM

you know, he just might be on to something…

24. godofwine330 says: Feb 25, 2014 9:25 AM

I would have taken him in Cleveland last year over Devone “The Toker” Bess. He is talented, unfortunately for him his rep follows him, but offering him $1 unguaranteed I would. He is in great physical shape, but his hands are and have always been kind of suspect. Still you couldn’t convince me that there are 30 NFL receivers better than him, even now.

25. EJ says: Feb 25, 2014 9:35 AM

He was a team player while he played in Buffalo, no bs, no controversy. If he is on the same workout regimen that he was a few years back, then I do not doubt that he could still do some damage on the football field. I’m sure he could also give more to most teams than 70% of these receivers that play the game today. I think it would be cool to see him play for 1 or 2 more years.

26. detectivejimmymcnulty says: Feb 25, 2014 9:40 AM

He started to drop passes at a high rate. Wide receivers are supposed to, you know, catch. Now, he’s probably better than someone like Greg Little.

On another note, his Hardee’s commercial is absolutely hilarious. The little kid knocking the food out of his hands and running away makes me laugh everytime.

27. kidsamoa260 says: Feb 25, 2014 9:42 AM

He might still be on the seahawk roster if he didn’t drop a wide open td pass last pre-season.

28. abninf says: Feb 25, 2014 9:54 AM

“You look at the number of dropped balls and the way guys are playing now and you can’t honestly say I can’t do better.”
    ==================================

I actually kind of liked him in Dallas, but he had some mind numbing, drive killing drops here that would make you pull your hair out.

29. edukator4 says: Feb 25, 2014 9:54 AM

his biggest problem was that if he wasn’t on a contender he wanted out. he had no patience to be a leader and help bring a qb along, or wait for other pieces to be put in place. if he had put a commitment into an organization then he would have gotten a commitment back and would probably still be playing.

30. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Feb 25, 2014 9:58 AM

31. melikefootball says: Feb 25, 2014 10:27 AM

Give us all a break!!

32. kcflake says: Feb 25, 2014 10:30 AM

Yes, TO can still play, women into getting married to buy him a big house. As far as playing receiver in the NFL, not so much.

33. bigbosscrispy says: Feb 25, 2014 11:01 AM

Hey T.O.! I can use you on my flag football team here in LA, it’s $10 a game though so hopefully u ain’t broke already….

34. athwartships says: Feb 25, 2014 11:30 AM

He, Tebow and Incognito can start an expansion team of the league’s unwanted.

35. slaugin says: Feb 25, 2014 11:41 AM

If I ran out of Money like T.O. I’d say I can still play too

36. fringetastic says: Feb 25, 2014 11:43 AM

Harrison should be in before T.O. is even considered.

37. cuda1234 says: Feb 25, 2014 3:24 PM

If To and TT both still think they can play, maybe they should start their own league!

38. commandercornpone says: Feb 25, 2014 8:24 PM