Adam Carriker still hopeful of sticking with Redskins

Adam Carriker AP

Adam Carriker has felt optimistic before.

But he said this year feels different, and he’s hopeful about playing after missing nearly two full seasons with quadriceps problems.

That might not be enough to keep him in Washington, as his $6.5 million salary cap hit makes him likely to either take a pay cut or be cut.

“I run into people in the hall and talk, but nothing has been brought up [about his contract],” Carriker said, via John Keim of ESPN.com. “I understand how the NFL works. [But] there’s no doubt in my mind they want me around. They like a lot of things about me. They know I can play. They know I know the defense very well. Even if you bring a guy in, unless you see him in your exact scheme it’s hard to know if a guy will work. They know I can do it. Plus I’ve been battling every day for a year and a half. I think they like and respect that. They’ve also seen the progress.

“It’s just a matter of me getting back to full speed and getting 100 percent back to normal. Without a doubt they want me back.”

The veteran defensive end, 29, has missed the last 30 regular season games with the recurring injury. He’s had three surgeries, and hasn’t played since the second week of 2012.

His familiarity should help, and he sounds like a guy realistic about the economics of the situation. But the Redskins have more pressing needs (such as locking up outside linebacker Brian Orakpo), and might not be as patient with his rehab.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
9 Responses to “Adam Carriker still hopeful of sticking with Redskins”
  1. jackburton77 says: Feb 26, 2014 10:19 AM

League minimum. Can’t count on him.

2. discountdoublecheck says: Feb 26, 2014 10:26 AM

Overpaid, injury prone…bust.

3. norseyapper says: Feb 26, 2014 10:32 AM

He’s right, they want him back, but they want the guy who was 26 and not injured. Now, they’d be idiots not to cut him and then perhaps resign him to an incentive laden contract with a vet minimum starting point.

4. hendawg21 says: Feb 26, 2014 11:06 AM

Well Adam for what you’re getting paid and the lack of production/being on the field, if you want to stay you’d better expect a serious pay cut…btw if it were me i’d have cut you 2 years ago! One of the D-line issues are injury and lack of speed on the ends…and to me no matter how much you break down the pocket if you can get after the QB once you’ve broken down the pocket then you serve very little purpose.

The problem with the ends the Skins have is they would be great if playing a 4-3, however, in a 3-4 your ends need to be more athletic and faster.

5. humpofdc says: Feb 26, 2014 11:20 AM

Out of sight…..out of mind!!! What have you do for us lately? Time to move on.

6. rg3sus says: Feb 26, 2014 11:50 AM

When healthy he’s a beast. On ESPN the other day Chris Cooley said Carriker has seriously lost a step. Apparently that happens being away from the game so long. Moreover, rumor is he juiced and this is what happens when you stop. Personally I am pulling for the guy and hope he comes back on a one year prove it contract. He could be a real asset and to the guy who said he’s ideal for a 4/3, what are you smoking? Skins brought him in when we switched TO the 3/4

7. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 26, 2014 12:15 PM

This guy is still playing?! I remember watching him on Webster when I was a kid.

8. dirtydrynn27 says: Feb 26, 2014 1:07 PM

Goodbye Adam!

9. whosgotitbetterthanruss says: Feb 26, 2014 1:47 PM

Carriker will be a Seahawk for CHEAP. Just more depth to our pass rush.