Nate Washington wants to stay, but knows cap may force him to go

383023b7275f3c634333163d7f7dce96 Getty Images

Near the end of the regular season, Titans wide receiver Nate Washington faced questions about the possibility that he’d take a pay cut in order to remain with the Titans in 2014.

Washington wasn’t sure how things would play out then and he isn’t sure how they’ll play out now, but knows that he’s excited about the prospect of playing for new head coach Ken Whisenhunt after playing for him in Pittsburgh. Assuming, of course, his $4.8 million salary doesn’t make such a reunion a brief one.

“I think he loves me and I love that guy,” Washington said, via the Tennessean. “But it’s a business. Could he sit here today and tell you he’s going to get rid of me? I’m pretty sure he couldn’t. And I could never sit here and tell you that I’m gone.¬†At the end of the day, I love coach Whisenhunt and I love the Titans. I feel the same amount of love coming back from the Titans and the city. So whatever [the future] brings, it brings. But I will guarantee that my preparation for the city and this season will be there.”

Washington was productive last season, catching 58 passes for 919 yards and three touchdowns. The Titans have added Kendall Wright and Justin Hunter in recent years, though, and may be looking for a cheaper option to complement them next season.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
10 Responses to “Nate Washington wants to stay, but knows cap may force him to go”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 27, 2014 4:10 PM

“This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you, Nate, but…..”.

2. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 27, 2014 4:20 PM

“What’s love got to do with it, do with it?”.

3. tennesseetitans10 says: Feb 27, 2014 4:21 PM

The fact that cutting him and Stewart alone gives us $11m in cap space which could be used to bring in very good players is hard to argue. Fill our needs in free agency and I think everyone would love to see Jordan Matthews a local star drafted in the second a much cheap, better replacement.

4. ichiganian says: Feb 27, 2014 4:34 PM

‘It’s a business’ is the new ‘It is what it is.’

5. titansbro says: Feb 27, 2014 4:41 PM

I do love the guy’s attitude & work ethic but I think $4.5M is probably too much. If he would take a pay cut, even a small one, I’d love to keep him. He’s a great mentor for the young guys the Titans have drafted.

6. dcapettini says: Feb 27, 2014 5:44 PM

There are a lot of guys in the league making the same or more money that did not get close to 58 receptions and 919 yards.

7. green41563 says: Feb 27, 2014 6:01 PM

He’s a better deal than Jeremy Maclin, but as usual, teams will blow it pursuing the more-highly drafted player with hype.

8. 2manyconcussions says: Feb 27, 2014 6:03 PM

You know, contracts are contracts until they’re not. It seems like the players rarely get to break their contract for more money, but the owners seem more than willing to “renegotiate” to save money.

9. jmblosser82 says: Feb 27, 2014 8:06 PM

Would love to have him back in Pittsburgh, I thought it was a mistake letting him go in the first place.

10. titansfan12 says: Feb 27, 2014 9:28 PM

Don’t go anywhere, please stay in Tennessee!!