Cousins: A trade would be great, but backing up RG3 is great too

Cousins Getty Images

Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins wants to make clear that he’ll be a happy camper no matter where he is in 2014.

Asked about talk that he could be traded to a team that would let him compete for the starting job, Cousins told MLive.com that he would love to be a starter — but he also enjoys being the backup to Robert Griffin III.

I feel it’s a win-win for me,” Cousins said. “If I were to get traded and get an opportunity to start somewhere, that’d be a great thing for me. But if I’m back with the Redskins, I enjoy it in D.C., I enjoy the fan base and the organization and I love my teammates.”

Cousins believes there was “Some good, some bad” during the 2013 season, when he started three games after Griffin was shut down and completed 81 of 155 passes for 854 yards, with four touchdowns and seven interceptions.

“I feel good about it,” Cousins said. “More than anything, it gave me confidence that I can play at this level, and I gained a lot of experience, and I got better. That’s all I was hoping for.”

It’s possible that some team will ship a draft pick to Washington and give Cousins a chance to start, but it’s much more likely that if Cousins is starting in 2014, it will be in Washington, after a Griffin injury.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
27 Responses to “Cousins: A trade would be great, but backing up RG3 is great too”
  1. blue18hutthutt says: Feb 28, 2014 2:08 PM

Of course backing up RG3 is great – it means you get plenty of opportunities to play

2. suckleague says: Feb 28, 2014 2:08 PM

Translation: all the crazy string holding his knees together will fail soon enough, I’ll be the starter shortly.

3. Soulman45 says: Feb 28, 2014 2:18 PM

Cousins can make a lot of money join the 2 t0 3 mill club and get very little wear and tear on his body and have a long career while getting ready for his second career.
    In good health.

4. athwartships says: Feb 28, 2014 2:28 PM

Best move he could make is to stay put and be the starting QB beginning around game 3 of the pre-season.

5. joemammy says: Feb 28, 2014 2:28 PM

Boy…those Redskins sure put one over on the Cleveland Browns, didn’t they?

Yeah. People all around northeastern Ohio are still in tears over the RG3 thing.

6. backdapack4evr says: Feb 28, 2014 2:35 PM

Hang in their Kirk
    By the end of next season you will be starting again!
    Rg3 = overrated

7. weepingjebus says: Feb 28, 2014 2:36 PM

I think the redskins will be decent this year. I live in the area and it’s fun watching the annual 12-4 predictions blow up immediately. But they have some new, young coaches, some talent, and a weak division. 10-6 is in the cards.

8. tinbender2000 says: Feb 28, 2014 2:40 PM

Four touchdowns and seven picks? Sounds like they have two RGlll’s.

9. drwbrsdmndsnxplntn says: Feb 28, 2014 2:51 PM

That’s great! Everything’s just, great!

10. tennesseeoilers says: Feb 28, 2014 2:54 PM

“Lobster tails are great. But clam chowder’s great too.”

11. kosarkid says: Feb 28, 2014 3:00 PM

Being back up to RGKnee is great because you’ll be the starter soon enough.

12. taylor69togataylor69toga says: Feb 28, 2014 3:03 PM

perfect, collect big money for sending in signals waiting for the knee to pop. probablyt cringes everytime he runs

13. nagaswan says: Feb 28, 2014 3:07 PM

So awesome when Cleveland tries to make fun of DC

14. spartyownsyou says: Feb 28, 2014 3:13 PM

As a huge Spartan fan who watched every game Cousins played in college I really don’t get where this idea that he could be an NFL starter right now comes from. He played respectably in the games where he filled in for RG3-13 but not well enough to warrant a starting position for any team in the league. I’m not ruling it out sometime in the future after he has some more time to develop but right now he’s definitely not one of the best 32 quarterbacks in the league.

15. chargrz says: Feb 28, 2014 3:16 PM

The Skins are trying to trade the wrong QB.

16. thefox61 says: Feb 28, 2014 3:58 PM

RG3 is a Russell Wilson wannabe

Go Hawks!

17. naes says: Feb 28, 2014 4:00 PM

The best thing for Cousins is to stay in DC until his rookie deal is up then cash in with another team.

If he gets traded now he has two years left on the rookie deal. He’ll get exposed while starting and be out of the league or a bottom tier backup.

18. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 28, 2014 4:01 PM

RGIII(b)

19. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 28, 2014 4:13 PM

Should trade Cousins for a secondary.

20. sportsfan18 says: Feb 28, 2014 4:29 PM

Kirk is still thought of as a good young QB with at least some potential…

But he needs to produce the times he does make the field this season.

I know he’s played very little overall in his two seasons, but his numbers are as follows and he needs to move the needle up on his production and numbers before he’s thought of as only a backup and then thought of as only a 3rd string QB.

Career completion %56.2

Mike inaccurate Vick’s career passing percentage is… you guessed it, 56.2% too.

Cousins has thrown 8 TD’s and 10 INT’s.

Not a good thing to be upside down in…

Cousins QB rating is a very low 68.6

His yards per attempt is only 6.5 yards.

Again, he has potential… but when Cousins hits the field this season, he needs to make these numbers go up… or he won’t be long for the league…

21. antoni27 says: Feb 28, 2014 4:32 PM

Still hating on Rg3 COMPARE THE NUMBERS HE PUT UP COMPARED TO QUARTER BACKS IN THE LEAGE AND HE IS STILL TOP 10 IN LEAGE

22. garyhd01 says: Feb 28, 2014 5:02 PM

seems like a fit in stl for a chance to compete for the starting job with bradford but washington will not trade with the rams again until at leas 2019 after the rg3 deal. which btw will most likely be 2 more gms and 3 more coaches down the trail.

23. wayneflores says: Feb 28, 2014 6:00 PM

Cousins should go elsewhere. He would be an immediate starter. If he stays in D.C. he will just be waiting for RGIII to go down. Even when he does take his place to finish out games, when RGIII gets well the job goes back to him. Time to move on while still young and productive.
    Raiders will take him!

24. rickyrios1877 says: Feb 28, 2014 11:28 PM

I love the fact that people forget RG3 was busy rehabbing his knee last off season. He did not have the opportunity to work on his fundamentals, strengths or weaknesses. He’ll be back to his rookie form this year. As for Kirk, there will be a team out there willing to take a chance on the kid. Remember when Seattle picked up “Clipboard Jesus”??

25. mythaimyke says: Mar 1, 2014 9:32 AM

Should be the starter over RgKnee! The Bust! But the Deadskins gave up too much for the want-to-be! They will figure it out after no wins and no playoffs! When? Who knows!!

26. wildbill1952 says: Mar 1, 2014 12:53 PM

I could just say “Wheeden” to the Cleveland fans, but I always feel sorry for a team whose center is more talented than their QB. As far as not being in the top 32, I’d put Cousins above both Wheeden and Sanchez, as well as about a half dozen other QB’s in the league.

With the lack of pass protection the Skins OL provided (43 sacks, 96 QB hits), with TE Reed gone from the lineup when Cousins was playing, and with Garcon being the only top-tier WR on the team (with lots of double coverage), it’s not surprising that Cousins didn’t shine at the end of the season. As a Skins fan, I am glad Cousins is here, even as a backup.

27. jadmakaveli says: Mar 3, 2014 9:56 AM

The hate for RG3 on here is real lol, non-redskins fan will come on here to comment to try to bash RG3 to hate on him for what? what has he done to you? the team had a bad year last year as a whole.