Fans donate to help former Oklahoma kicker train for the NFL

patrickohara Getty Images

Former Oklahoma kicker Patrick O’Hara hasn’t played football in more than a year and was never considered a great kicker in college, and so he’s an extreme long shot to make an NFL team. But O’Hara believes he can make it, and some Oklahoma fans believe in him enough that they’re willing to put some money on it.

O’Hara posted a request for donations online, saying that he was hoping to raise $2,000 for travel to a regional combine in Detroit and to a training camp with a kicking specialist in Phoenix. O’Hara also included a personal plea, noting that his family is going through a rough time.

“As many of you know my mother is struggling with stage 4 cancer and money is very tight within my family. I would be beyond appreciative to gain a little bit of help to make the trip to these combines possible,” O’Hara wrote.

It took less than 48 hours for O’Hara to hit the $2,000 he requested, and the donations have still come in beyond that. He has now raised $2,595 from 37 donors. O’Hara told the Oklahoman he was a little reluctant to ask for money and didn’t expect so many people to donate so quickly.

I was hesitant to launch it,” O’Hara said. “My family has been very tight on money and we were talking about flights and how expensive everything would be. I put together a little page and talked about chasing my dreams. I had no clue this would be so successful.”

Whether O’Hara is successful in his quest to make it to the NFL remains to be seen. But the generosity of some Oklahoma fans makes it possible.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Fans donate to help former Oklahoma kicker train for the NFL”
  1. reesesteel23 says: Mar 1, 2014 9:26 AM

Boomer Sooner! Go OU!!

2. mrstinkypants says: Mar 1, 2014 9:28 AM

If he was so concerned about the price of flights from Oklahoma to Detroit why wouldn’t he take a bus? If money is that tight you make sacrifices in life.

3. 1pwrightt says: Mar 1, 2014 9:31 AM

I see nothing wrong in him asking for a little help. I wish him and his family the best.

4. cowboys8819 says: Mar 1, 2014 9:48 AM

Struggles are struggles. At least the kid wants to make something if himself and not be a bum. Good luck O’Hara! Boomer Sooner

5. 4thandlonger says: Mar 1, 2014 10:13 AM

Whilst he wasn’t a huge part of it his play and his team brought in millions for OU. Enough for a plane fare, some nights in a hotel and some coaching is fair enough for him. Good luck to him.

6. SilentMajority says: Mar 1, 2014 10:32 AM

So he’s using his dying mother as a way of promoting his NFL dreams?

7. seattlecvd says: Mar 1, 2014 11:00 AM

As a Texas alum, it is in my nature to root against all things involving Oklahoma football. But, we all deserve the chance to chase our dreams, and I wish this kid the best of luck on his quest.

8. buckybadger says: Mar 1, 2014 11:23 AM

Sounds like such a great thing until you go over the thousands of things these fans could be donating too to help their community. If he was any good at kicking he his agent would flip the bill for him to tryout.

9. thefox61 says: Mar 1, 2014 11:42 AM

Maybe if I post some sob story about how my SUPERSONICS were stolen from me maybe just maybe I might get them back? NOT!
    OKLAHOMA SUCKS !
    What a selfish and arrogant young man. Do you know how many kickers that are BETTER than you that are waiting for their chance to make a team? Dozens, if not hundreds. You have NO chance of making it in the NFL, your Mom is dying and money is tight. Get a JOB! You are a college graduate, maybe if you looked for a REAL job like you beg for money, you might find one and make your Mom really proud.

10. guachosporlife says: Mar 1, 2014 12:44 PM

Take the bus. Is he afraid his feet will fall asleep?

11. luz56 says: Mar 1, 2014 4:48 PM

Get an agent… That’s what they are here for… If your good they will front you the money