Jadeveon Clowney’s trainer talks up his work ethic

Capital One Bowl - Wisconsin v South Carolina Getty Images

In the continuing debate about whether or not South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney has the kind of work ethic NFL teams want, a personal trainer who helped Clowney prepare for the Combine is vouching for him.

Anthony Hobgood, who trained Clowney and other draft prospects, told Tom Pelissero of USA Today that Clowney was “actually one of the best guys in our whole combine class.”

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier has sounded less than enthusiastic about Clowney’s work ethic, but Hobgood saw nothing to complain about.

“He’d be the first guy to show up in the morning. He’d be the first guy to breakfast,” Hobgood said. “He got some bad media coverage this past year, and I honestly think he’s very misunderstood. He listened. He knew what we asked him to do. He worked hard.”

Just because a player works hard when training for the Combine doesn’t mean there will be no questions about his work ethic in the NFL. But Clowney sure looked in Indianapolis like a guy who had been working hard.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Jadeveon Clowney’s trainer talks up his work ethic”
  1. jacobslatter says: Mar 2, 2014 7:14 PM

BEAST.

2. pftfollower says: Mar 2, 2014 7:17 PM

How would it look if the trainer Clowney is paying to push him, a guy who gets paid to push others to get harder, admits that he can’t get Clowney to work hard? Let alone bad mouthing a current client?

This to me about equals “his mom says he’s a great guy”. Take it with a grain of salt and a spoonful of sugar. He will produce or he won’t, time will tell. How about we let the guy prove it one way or the other.

3. mitybuc says: Mar 2, 2014 7:23 PM

There appears to be risk…but he won’t get past #2.

4. Gordon says: Mar 2, 2014 7:26 PM

First guy to get breakfast? Wow, what a ringing endorsement!

5. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 2, 2014 7:29 PM

So if you draft him just make sure you have an omelette chef on staff.

6. idoubtiwillbother says: Mar 2, 2014 7:34 PM

The negative comments about his work ethic have all been aimed directly at his brain and classroom work ethic, not his physical get up and go.

7. wtfchiefs says: Mar 2, 2014 7:39 PM

I see Clowney having a career similar to Albert Haynesworth. He’s probably going to go nuts and play out of his mind until he hits a big payday in his second contract and throw away all effort after that, leaving some team with buyers remorse.

8. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 2, 2014 7:46 PM

Just from hobnobbing with Hobgood, everything sounds great.

9. paoconno says: Mar 2, 2014 7:49 PM

I think this year, Clowney had offenses game plan to stop him, and he didn’t put in the film room time to adjust to that. That’s why the Texans would be a great fit. He will be surrounded by strong work ethic guys like Watt and Cushing, who won’t let him slack in the film room. And teams won’t be able to game plan against him with Watt on the field.
    Clowney came out of high school the number one player in the country and exceeded expectations, I think he’s proven he can handle the spotlight

10. craniator says: Mar 2, 2014 8:16 PM

I like this kid . . . that’s not to say that there’s no risk involved in drafting him , but if I’m a GM coming up to bat anywhere in round one , I probably pick him.

11. captainwisdom8888 says: Mar 2, 2014 8:32 PM

I think it is just natural for questions of work ethic to surface for a player who the game comes so very easily to. Jadeveon Clowney is one of those gifted athletes that might not have to rely upon a legendary work ethic to ensure success…he is just that good. This doesn’t necessarily mean that he isn’t willing to put the work in, and one thing I am certain of is the fact that his future NFL coaches will surely sculpt him into an even more dangerous player from and physical and mental standpoint. One aspect of a good work ethic that is often overlooked is the willingness to hit the playbook and learn the schematics of the offense/defense through and through. We’ll see if Clowney commits himself to the classroom…

12. 1oldpro says: Mar 2, 2014 9:08 PM

You know what? My team was just too smart to draft a guy with a work effort like Vontaze Burfict. Now my team sucks at linebacker and just about every other position and has the 1.1 draft pick. So, I throw this “work effort” crap out with the garbage.

13. htowntexan says: Mar 2, 2014 9:43 PM

This guy is a bust. Please don’t draft him Texans.

14. abninf says: Mar 2, 2014 10:11 PM

The coach’s opinion is the only one that would matter to me. Not his buddies or a personal trainer.

15. bigblu73 says: Mar 2, 2014 11:33 PM

If any team by passes drafting Clowney due to this preposterous “lack of effort” shenanigans they will deserve exactly what they get. History has proven over and over again that God given talent will trump “high effort” every day of the week, and twice on Sundays!!! LOL Just in recent times we have seen the draft stock of several highly touted, extremely gifted and talented players besmirched by this type of nonsense!!! Due the names Vontaze Burfct, Tyrann Mathieu, Janoris Jenkins mean anything to you? My God, LT(Lawrence Taylor) used to show up to practice when he felt like it, hung out at night clubs till all times of the night and teams still couldn’t do nothing with him on Sundays!!! Why, because of undeniable and unfathomable natural ability and desire!!! Does anyone honestly believe that Clowney was the #1 high school player in the country by not putting forth an immense amount of effort along with an abundance of God given talent? The beauty of the new CBA is that nobody gets to “break the bank”(ala Sam Bradford) without atleast proving there worth for 4 years. So what possible benefit would it be for Clowney to get drafted #1 then stink the joint up? Everyone that enters the league since the new CBA are playing for the big 2nd contract so I think its safe to say that Clowney will be extremely motivated to earn the biggest 2nd contract possible. Defense wins championships, just look at the Seahawks! If the Texans were smart there’s no way they pass up having a tandem of Watt and Clowney!!! And please I don’t wanna hear about how Clowney’s not a 3-4 End. Players like that can be successful no matter what. Andy Luck will have sleepless nights thinking about facing that duo twice a year. When you have a phenomenal lights out defense with a solid run game Ala Seahawks, you can win a Super Bowl with a 3rd round draft pick QB over a team led by a HOF #1 overall pick and make it look like assault and battery!!!! My point is the Texans should unashamedly draft Clowney and create one of the premiere Dlines in the NFL, add that with “juice man Cush” and thats the beginning of a damn good defense. You still have Arian Foster to tote the rock as well as the rejuvenated Andre Johnson along with the youngster DeAndre Hopkins. With that much talent you don’t have to have a Manziel or Bridgewater. JM2C….

16. bigblu73 says: Mar 2, 2014 11:40 PM

*Do

17. granadafan says: Mar 3, 2014 12:54 AM

Boom or bust

18. afcdomination says: Mar 3, 2014 7:01 AM

the trainer is paid by the player. the trainer gets more recognition for having his name attached to clowney’s. if clowney fails, he will simply get credit for raising his combine numbers. so really, he is the last person to listen to

19. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Mar 3, 2014 12:11 PM

Clowney’s peeps are coming out and trying to convince everyone that he has a great work ethic now. Nice try and I understand why you’re doing it but his coach called it like it is.

20. harveyredman says: Mar 3, 2014 2:03 PM

@bigblu73 says: Mar 2, 2014 11:33 PM
    ____________________________

Did I write this in my dreams and change my handle to bigblue73 and then forget it?!

I swear, this is exactly what I think too. Spot On! Overpaid Bradford, “juice man” Cushing…. Classic.

Dude, I think you’re my new best friend.