Brian Orakpo fine with tag, for now, wants long-term deal

Orakpo Getty Images

Surprise, Brian Orakpo wants a long-term contract rather than the franchise tag.

That was the message the Redskins pass-rusher conveyed to ESPN’s Josina Anderson, telling her he was fine with the tag, for now.

“I’m excited to continue to play football. I’m glad we’ve made the first step, but hopefully we can still get things done in the long run,” he said. “I don’t have a problem with the decision [the Redskins] made, but I still want a long-term deal. This is new to me. I’m just letting this play out to the end.

“I’m excited to be with the Redskins as of right now, but now we will go from here. It’s always good to try and finish up with the team that drafted you. However, it is a business and I understand the business. If it works out then it works out. At the very least I’m happy they took this step forward.”

Orakpo wouldn’t comment on whether he thought he should be tagged as a linebacker or a defensive end (and the $1.6 million difference therein), which he probably doesn’t need to.

Having that gray area in his back pocket will only help Orakpo at the bargaining table, when the two sides talk again about that long-term deal he wants. The Redskins have until July 15 to negotiate, now that they’ve secured his rights.

On whether he should be tagged as a LB or DE?

“I can’t really comment on that right now.”

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
13 Responses to “Brian Orakpo fine with tag, for now, wants long-term deal”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Mar 3, 2014 2:39 PM

No Linebacker duo out there is better than Orakpo and Kerrigan period. #OnceyouGoBurgundyandGoldyounevergoback

2. thepftpoet says: Mar 3, 2014 2:41 PM

Brian Orakpo is a better actor than football player.

3. pattunya says: Mar 3, 2014 3:36 PM

Number of Redskins superbowls since spygate, zero.

4. seatownballers says: Mar 3, 2014 3:38 PM

What are the Redskins gonna do with the #2 pick?

5. seatownballers says: Mar 3, 2014 3:39 PM

The Geico caveman is a better linebacker then anyone on the Vikings. Stats don’t lie

6. jetnotjets says: Mar 3, 2014 3:41 PM

I’m all for a player who is unquestionable Top 3 in his position getting a high dollar, long term extension. But too many guys who are on the cusp of greatness are cashing in on contracts that I don’t feel comfortable with. I think the Redskins did the right thing here by making Orakpo prove his skill and health are deserving of a big contract, and I think the 49ers should do the same thing with Kaepernick. Better to pay him 20 million for one year to see if he’s worthy of the franchise QB contract, then to commit 18 million a year for the next 4-5 years only to find out he’s not going to break through to that upper echelon. I’m happy to see Orakpo back this year with the Skins, and I hope he has his best year ever and cashes in long term next year. HTTR!

7. schmitty2 says: Mar 3, 2014 3:58 PM

\
    Wow,what a ringing endorsment to stay with the team.

8. matt4477 says: Mar 3, 2014 7:30 PM

He wants 17 sack money, but the fact is he at best can get 10 or 11, and only has 1 move. Over rated

9. joparks2012 says: Mar 3, 2014 8:42 PM

For all of those that hate this move and feel that Orakpo over-rated, he accumulated 10+ sacks last year on a defense where he rushed the passer less than he had in previous (full) seasons. Also, he had Josh Wilson on the field so anytime he got close, there was always someone for the QB to find open. If the Skins tighten up that coverage and actually get some safeties that can play, those numbers from Orakpo should improve

10. losntina69 says: Mar 4, 2014 10:20 AM

Hey Rak the Skins should pay you $5 million a year for every rushing move that you have. Best deal ever.

11. losntina69 says: Mar 4, 2014 10:22 AM

joparks2012 says: Mar 3, 2014 8:42 PM

***********************************************
    So did Shaun Phillips, Calvin Pace, and Jerry Hughes. they are much cheaper then Rak would have cost the skins. Rak isn’t muhc of a game changer, he is good but not a game changer.

12. xcler8n says: Mar 4, 2014 4:53 PM

We need to hold on to Orakpo this year and hopefully many years to come. His only downside has been his pectoral muscle’s ability to stay attached. He has be great at his position. I’ve seen many comments about him not getting a sack on Romo, but how many holding calls has he generated against the Cowboys? There was one big Cowboys game where the held him on 3 straight plays. The other plus to having Orakpo is he makes Kerrigan that much better. Kerrigan is good in his own right but when a defense has to focus on Orakpo it opens things up for Kerrigan.

13. billco6192013 says: Mar 8, 2014 8:36 PM

When GLASSAPO shatters in 3 pieces by week 9 from all that juice taken ,you skin fans will wake up