Skip to content

Lions release Leroy Harris

Minnesota+Vikings+v+Tennessee+Titans+hs3t8DThd3Cl Getty Images

The Lions have some cap issues to sort out before the start of free agency and they continued the process on Monday by parting ways with offensive lineman Leroy Harris.

Harris signed with Detroit last June after spending six years with the Titans, but played in just one game for the team and only saw action on special teams. Harris, who tore his ACL in 2012, started 42 games in Tennessee.

Harris was set to cost nearly $2 million for the 2014 season, which is more than the Lions are set to pay starting center Dominic Raiola. For a team that needs to find money everywhere, that wasn’t going to work. His departure leaves the team in need of depth on the interior of the offensive line, but that was a need anyway with Raiola approaching the end of the line.

Harris joins wide receiver Nate Burleson and safety Louis Delmas as veterans jettisoned by the Lions as they prepare for the start of free agency.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Lions release Leroy Harris”
  1. doctorrustbelt says: Mar 3, 2014 3:11 PM

    So… Detroit… are you going to spend some money on wide receivers?!?

    You do know that you need more than one wide receiver to be a successful NFL franchise?!?

    You idiots thinks that having the 3rd ranked PASS Offense means you have a balanced passing attack.

    Only 1 wide receiver had more than 2 touchdowns in 2013.

  2. wydok says: Mar 3, 2014 3:20 PM

    LEEEEROY JENKINS!

  3. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 3, 2014 3:24 PM

    Detroit has no significant money to spend, and that’s why they had to cut Burleson, Delmas, and now Harris. There’s 5 other players they could consider cutting in addition to not retaining virtually any of their FAs other than Muhlbach and Raiola. Last year was an expensive lesson and repeat of futility and now there will me major turnover while still having a terrible cap structure for 2015 as well. This is football management at it’s worst and the same old poor team and plan year in and year out. Maybe this year will be different?

  4. doctorrustbelt says: Mar 3, 2014 3:46 PM

    I’m Pro-Underdog … but… Detroit’s front office is T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E.

    They just don’t get it (like Bengals owner mike brown).

  5. lionsmark09 says: Mar 3, 2014 3:56 PM

    thestrategyexpert has no idea what he is talking about. The Lions issues last year came from the Napoleon-Syndrome Schwartz. Everyone they cut is replaceable in the draft this year. Cutting old vets is about more than money. What is thestrategyexpert going to complain about when the Lions get it together this year?

  6. spartyownsyou says: Mar 3, 2014 8:49 PM

    doctorrustbelt says: Mar 3, 2014 3:11 PM
    So… Detroit… are you going to spend some money on wide receivers?!?

    You do know that you need more than one wide receiver to be a successful NFL franchise?!?

    You idiots thinks that having the 3rd ranked PASS Offense means you have a balanced passing attack.

    Only 1 wide receiver had more than 2 touchdowns in 2013.

    Who exactly are you are you talking to? Did someone in these comments say that they thought that having the 3rd ranked pass offense meant that we had a balanced passing attack? You should learn to pick your spots instead of just talking trash on this website all day every day. When all a person does is talk trash no intelligent person takes that person seriously. And by the way we’re going to draft a receiver in the 1st or 2nd round and we already have the best receiver in the league so how about you just worry about your own team? Our passing game will be just fine.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!