Alterraun Verner on free agency: You have to take advantage when you can

a98b74eb6ab950ae4cfcccf3a3876853 AP

The Titans re-signed safety Bernard Pollard on Monday, allowing them to keep him off the market and avoid the risk of losing him to another team as a free agent.

It doesn’t look like things will play out that way with cornerback Alterraun Verner. The team did not use the franchise tag on Verner before Monday’s deadline and all signs are pointing toward Verner remaining unsigned when he’s allowed to start talking to other teams on Saturday. The Titans and Verner will talk until then, but he didn’t sound inclined to accept an offer or hometown discount from the Titans until seeing what the rest of the league might offer him.

“I guess you could say [a hometown discount] exists, and it doesn’t exist. I love being here, I love my teammates and I love Tennessee. When it comes to the money, it is not like I need to be paid super high,” Verner said, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “But I am not going to be a fool and take anything that is super small. From a business standpoint, you don’t know how long you are going to play in this league, so you have to take advantage when you can.”

Brent Grimes signed a four-year, $32 million contract with Miami that has $16 million in guarantees. At 25, Verner is five years younger than Grimes and will likely be shooting for a deal that reflects the fact that whoever signs him will be paying for the prime years rather than the back end of his career. That price may be too rich for a Titans team with plenty of other work to do this offseason.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Alterraun Verner on free agency: You have to take advantage when you can”
  1. billyjaguar says: Mar 4, 2014 7:04 AM

$ign with Jacksonville!

2. remyje says: Mar 4, 2014 7:05 AM

I don’t blame him.. There’s always going to be fans, that haven’t even sniffed the team facilities, crying about players not being team players

3. oldbyrd says: Mar 4, 2014 7:56 AM

Philadelphia Eagles say ” come on down, Alterraum Verner”

4. razorbyrd says: Mar 4, 2014 8:01 AM

I hope Howie Roseman gets his agent on the phone on Day 1 of Free Agency… AV would look real good in Midnight Green!!!

5. titansbro says: Mar 4, 2014 8:30 AM

I think he’s a very good player & I would love to have him back. But I cannot agree more with him. If some team is willing to give him more money than the Titans can then I would have no problem with him taking it. If they hadn’t already gave McCourty a new contract they would probably pony up for him. And let’s be real, McCourty is the better player, although it may be close.

With all that said, the Titans have some good young depth at DB behind him & I think he will wind up getting more from another DB-needy team than the Titans should be willing to pay him. But I would love to keep that McCourty, Verner, Griffin, Pollard secondary together a little longer if possible.

6. kd75 says: Mar 4, 2014 8:35 AM

His parents must be big Star Wars fans…

7. rhcpvikings says: Mar 4, 2014 8:47 AM

Vikes would be a great fit. We got Zimmer running the Defense and Verner’s old Defensive Coordinator as Defensive Backs coach.

8. packerfansarefat says: Mar 4, 2014 8:54 AM

“super high”…..”super low”…..well spoken Mr. V

9. drsummeroff says: Mar 4, 2014 9:12 AM

“From a business standpoint, you don’t know how long you are going to play in this league, so you have to take advantage when you can.”

——————————————

Well you know the Teams will drop you like a cheap suit as soon as it benefits them. GO get paid man while there is still time.

10. pillowporkers says: Mar 4, 2014 9:36 AM

The Vikings almost seem too perfect.

Defensive minded HC
    Vikings have a ton of cap room
    New scheme under Zim that would allow more man coverage than the prehistoric Cover 2, making good cover corners more valuable.
    The old TEN DC is the Vikings secondary coach.
    Oh yeah, the Vikings secondary was brutal last year.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see several teams trying to benefit from his services, but I’m sure the Vikings will be attempting to talk to Verner at the very least. Verner, Rhodes, and Smith would pose a more talented secondary than I can ever remember the Vikings having.

11. belgaron says: Mar 4, 2014 9:38 AM

Alterraun = the man

Alderaan = the star wars planet

12. battlelyon1976 says: Mar 4, 2014 9:39 AM

He will look great in Horns.

13. rdrrandyrocker43 says: Mar 4, 2014 9:42 AM

The Raiders need talent and have lots of money>He needs lots of money and has talent.Enough said.

14. whatnojets says: Mar 4, 2014 9:51 AM

This is one smart football player:

“An excellent student, Verner held a 4.17 GPA and achieved a 1740 SAT score”

15. bizieman says: Mar 4, 2014 10:06 AM

I hope he signs on with Denver. One side DRC and he would be on the other side. Then you add Byrd to lurk the middle. Go Broncos! SB Bound.

16. realnflmaster says: Mar 4, 2014 10:08 AM

Miami gave Grimes that much money? What a joke of a franchise.

17. gmfw7 says: Mar 4, 2014 10:13 AM

howie roseman keeps talking about how he isn’t going to spend huge money on FAs so guys like ward and byrd most likely aren’t going to be eagles. but we can’t fix the secondary strictly through the draft, so i would love to see this guy in philly.

18. starchybunker says: Mar 4, 2014 10:23 AM

someone will very likely massively over-pay him, but hey, that’s not his fault…best of luck to one of the smartest/classiest players in the league…

19. CKL says: Mar 4, 2014 10:31 AM

whatnojets says:
    Mar 4, 2014 9:51 AM
    This is one smart football player:

“An excellent student, Verner held a 4.17 GPA and achieved a 1740 SAT score”
    _________________________________
    I was watching a Titans game last year and they said what Verner’s major was in college and I had no clue what it even encompassed. Something with math. Applied mathematics or something. Dude won’t be hurting when his playing career is over, that’s for sure.

20. fballguy says: Mar 4, 2014 11:00 AM

If things go according to plan, he’ll be lining up opposite Janoris Jenkins this fall.

21. tennesseetitan78 says: Mar 4, 2014 11:12 AM

The titans are not gonna break the bank on Verner. With quality DB backups and with them having paid big contracts to Mcournty and Griffin, plus they will need to make a decision on J.Casey at some point I see the titans letting him walk. I really hate it, I really liked Verner, he’s young, very smart (has a degree in mathematics) starting to turn out to b really decent, but I’m just not sure if he’s worth $10 mil or more a yr.

22. tennesseetitan78 says: Mar 4, 2014 11:20 AM

But the way the NFL works.. I can’t honestly blame him for trying to get all that he can. This could b the only big contract that he gets. So my advice would b get all u can get. But I wish Verner the best, rather that’s in a titans uniform or someone’s else’s. I’ll still b a fan.

23. reesesteel23 says: Mar 4, 2014 1:14 PM

This is football….Never understand the “He’s really smart, has a degree in Mathematics….” blah blah blah…it doesnt translate

Ponder got his Master Degree in 2 years!!!!!

Yea….exactly…Ponder that

24. taintedsaints2009 says: Mar 4, 2014 1:35 PM

Elway is going to throw $10-13 million at him, just watch.

25. broncosllbuckya says: Mar 4, 2014 2:07 PM

Go Broncos!!

26. laxcoach37 says: Mar 4, 2014 10:42 PM

@realnflmaster

Obviously you either Hate the Dolphins or are just outright Stupid. Brent Grimes was selected to the Pro- Bowl and is the 3rd ranked CB in the NFL. He gave up ZERO TD’s last year. His contract is for about $8M a year. The Franchise Tag for a mediocre CB is $9.38M. I say the Dolphins look like Genuises ! Go on Hating, but you only embarrass yourself… I am betting your a Jets Fan?