Golden Tate says he hasn’t heard much from Seahawks yet

Super Bowl XLVIII - Seattle Seahawks v Denver Broncos Getty Images

Unrestricted free agents-to-be are now less than a week away from being able to sign contracts with new teams. They can even begin negotiating with other teams as early as Saturday.

Wide receiver Golden Tate is one of the bigger names that will hit unrestricted free agency for the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks next week. General manager John Schneider mentioned Tate and defensive end Michael Bennett as the highest priorities for the team to re-sign among their own free agents at the NFL combine.

But while Bennett appears to be in contract with the team, Tate hasn’t heard much as of yet.

Right now it’s been pretty chill. I haven’t heard too much.” Tate said in an interview with Alex Marvez and Bill Polian on Sirius XM NFL Radio. “I’ve kind of just trusted in my agent and him being good at his work. Todd (France) has had some great deals in the past and so I’m letting him handle it. Just trying to stay stress free and really enjoying being a Super Bowl champ.”

Bennett clearly appears to be the top priority for Seattle. The team released defensive end Red Bryant and receiver Sidney Rice to free up additional cap space this offseason in hopes of bringing Bennett back, and still have funds to potentially give extensions to Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman.

That leaves Tate having to wait his turn. The Philadelphia Eagles re-signed Riley Cooper to a five-year, $25 million deal that could help set the market for receivers. Tate has been more productive than Cooper throughout each of their four years in the league and would likely command more on the open market.

But for Tate, he says the hard work is in the past.

“At the end of the day, I did my job,” Tate said. “I performed on the field. I made plays. I helped my team win, At this point, I’m just thinking everything is going to work out. It’s going to work out the way it should work out regardless of whether it’s in Seattle or elsewhere. Obviously, I would like to be in Seattle but the hard part is over. I did my job, I handled my business. I stayed healthy and was reliable all year. Each year I’ve shown to be better than the last.

“With that being said, I’ve done my part so I can’t really worry about it.”

Tate caught 64 passes for 898 yards last season – both career-highs –  and five touchdowns for Seattle. He also had 51 punt returns for 585 yards on the year.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
30 Responses to “Golden Tate says he hasn’t heard much from Seahawks yet”
  1. ibrandon360 says: Mar 5, 2014 2:28 AM

I’m torn on Golden Tate. Part of me wants him back because how much of a playmaker he’s become and also because Percy is still untrusted health wise. But the other half of me just doesn’t know if the Hawks need to invest between $15-20M in two WRs for the next five years, especially with our offensive scheme. I love Tate’s versatility, grit, toughness, and reliability … I just don’t know if he’s worth keeping with our cornerstones needing to be resigned soon.

#GoHawks

2. meatcarroll says: Mar 5, 2014 5:50 AM

Why do jealous peasants refer to it as the “Fail Mary”? Looked pretty successful to me!

3. omeimontis says: Mar 5, 2014 6:15 AM

Tate is their number one receiver. If they don’t re-sign him, their offense can be in serious trouble. If they give him $5 mil a year, they won’t have money to bring back Tony McDaniel (DT), Walter Thurmond (CB), Doug Baldwin (WR), and Michael Robinson(FB). They only have 7 draft picks, so they cannot even plug the holes they have through the draft. They may have to rely on undrafted players to fill out their roster.

4. thevikesarebest says: Mar 5, 2014 6:56 AM

That’s probaly a good thing for him.get out why you can.

5. anonymous135 says: Mar 5, 2014 6:59 AM

He can make up the difference in doughnut sponsorship money if he stay’s in Seattle…

6. firedup1 says: Mar 5, 2014 7:05 AM

Over rated. He is not worth the big money.

7. chargrz says: Mar 5, 2014 7:25 AM

Like the song says ” Hit the Road Jack” i mean Golden. Plenty of donuts elsewhere. What has this guy done?

8. stevincinci says: Mar 5, 2014 7:45 AM

He’s not a top 10 receiver. Get over yourself, golden guy.

9. russellwilsonismymvp says: Mar 5, 2014 7:46 AM

I was hoping to get Tate back, but with the depth at WR in the draft and that being a cheaper option and potential upgrade, maybe not. I thought Tate did everything they asked him too. I think he’d do very well in a high volume passing game like DET, GB, NE, DEN, CHI, IND, SD, ECT…he could really flourish.

10. pantherfan40 says: Mar 5, 2014 7:55 AM

come to the panthers

11. whatjusthapped says: Mar 5, 2014 8:20 AM

However, the donut shop owners in the greater Seattle area are hoping another franchise signs him and soon.

12. unbridledsexy says: Mar 5, 2014 8:35 AM

The guy if tough as nails. Id like to see him remain in Seattle. He stepped up to the plate this year with Harvin out.

13. athwartships says: Mar 5, 2014 9:31 AM

They’ll sign him.

And I love all the haters. It’s easy to take shots from the cheap seats when your team isn’t the best in the league.

14. trollhammer20 says: Mar 5, 2014 10:14 AM

“What has he ever done?”

There’s about a five minute highlight reel of his plays from this last season, and if you saw the reel, you would want this guy on your team. He is one of the leading RAC guys in the league, and leads all WRs in broken tackles over the past two seasons. WR in the route who reverts to high high-school tailback form after the grab Very rarely drops a pass, and often comes up with the spectacular.

Oh, and he’s a helluva blocker, too.

If this guy plays in a pass-happy offense, he could put up the kind of numbers that might impress more fantasy-oriented football fans who make ignorant comments like “what has he ever done”. Fans of real football know this guy can play.

15. beastmode5150 says: Mar 5, 2014 10:20 AM

He will be re-signed. 5/22

16. digitalsasquatch says: Mar 5, 2014 10:26 AM

Tate and Baldwin are both number-two receivers who fought well above their weight-class last season…Tate in particular has grown a lot since his rookie year–when, after the regrettable doughnut caper, I thought for sure he’d end up on PFT’s Turd List regularly–and seemed to take a big step toward on-field maturity this season after getting called for taunting on the national stage.

He’s hard-nosed, annoying, and he’s become dependable…I’d love to see him–and Angry Doug Baldwin–stick with the Hawks for their careers, but we all know that the cap causes casualties in the NFL.

17. omeimontis says: Mar 5, 2014 10:57 AM

Funny, seahawks rqnw brag about Tate during the 2013 season, not they think their leading receiver is a bum because Seattle may not have enough cap space to keep him. Red Bryant is a bum too, and so are all the free agents Seattle is about to lose. Tony McDaniel, Michael Robinson, Walter Thurmond, and Doug Baldwin are all bums.

18. chargrz says: Mar 5, 2014 12:10 PM

Mediocre Receiver, Mediocre!

19. irvfin3 says: Mar 5, 2014 1:17 PM

Jets please sign him no other team is in desperate need at WR like us!!!!! Tate is tough! Make it happen!

20. dukeearl says: Mar 5, 2014 1:29 PM

Funny how opposing fans want so desperately for any Seahawk to leave…
    Maybe because they know their team has no chance otherwise.
    Pretty sure Tate will be signed. If not, it will be because Seahawks management has an idea to replace his production.
    I wouldn’t look for the Seahawks to lose too many key players.

21. connertiland says: Mar 5, 2014 2:35 PM

People need to realize that the hawks can afford to bring back every free agent this year. Cap increase of 9+ mil, plus the release of Bryant and rice =well over 20 mil. I expect them to use all but 1 to 2 mil to save, or they spend that 1-2 mil on one year deals for a couple role players. By the time Wilson contracts expires, lynch will be gone. Tough but true. But by that time lynch will be 30 and past his prime.when people say we have too many stars to afford to keep, I say look at the nature of the nfl. Most contracts are <3 years. A lot of money frees up fast.

22. jprcox says: Mar 5, 2014 2:54 PM

I don’t see Seattle paying him $25-30m considering all the other players we have to sign in the next 1-3 years. I certainly see the silence from Seattle being indicative of their priorities NOT being signing Tate.

23. dangerussforyou says: Mar 6, 2014 3:55 AM

Think the Panthers would rather have him than Steve Smith?

24. debntoby says: Mar 6, 2014 3:11 PM

Hopefully we can rresign tater to a decent deal. He lleaves it all on the field every game. Hes the next hHines ward and we will regret seeing him somewhere else. Go hawks and tater

25. benj227 says: Mar 6, 2014 4:28 PM

“I dunno what you talkin bout”

26. benj227 says: Mar 6, 2014 4:34 PM

Lots of “We”s and “us”s being thrown around in here kids….

27. nineball26 says: Mar 6, 2014 4:47 PM

I expect that core to be back, however sluggish and unimpressie their numbers appeared to be they were the core that got the W’s, tate, kearse, balwin, harvin…

the fantastic 4…

you heard it here first, Hawks make a another run at the bowl and win it in another fine fashion…

28. nineball26 says: Mar 6, 2014 4:49 PM

oh and tate is going to have top take a pay cut to keep the team together, simple as that, being superstar status mid season his endorsements will surpass his salary..

got to think big to be a big player, otherwise you might end up with the raiders and never be heard from again…

all about choice

29. usdcoyotesfan says: Mar 7, 2014 12:55 AM

After Packers game last year:

Tate: I know I had the ball.
    ESPN reporter: Did you push off?
    Tate: I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Go shoplift a Dunkin’ Donuts, Golden.

30. ccrisp31 says: Mar 10, 2014 3:48 PM

I tell you what. He is MOORE then welcome in Chicago. The damage we could do!…Let Seattle mess this one up, go right ahead!…