Aaron Williams says Jairus Byrd wants to remain in Buffalo

Buffalo Bills v New England Patriots Getty Images

The Buffalo Bills elected not to place the franchise tag on safety Jairus Byrd this season in hopes it could smooth discussions surrounding a long-term contract for Byrd to remain in Western New York.

It shouldn’t hurt that Byrd apparently wants to stick around with the Bills either.

The Bills already signed safety Aaron Williams to a four-year contract extension earlier this week. Byrd, meanwhile, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on Tuesday.

Williams joined Alex Marvez and Phil Savage on Sirius XM NFL Radio on Thursday to discuss his own extension with the Bills and Byrd’s impending free agency. Williams said that Byrd wants to remain in Buffalo.

“I know that they’re still negotiating. I don’t want to speak on their situation because I have no say, nor do I know the full story on it, but I know Jairus does want to come back and wants to be a part of something special. Jairus and I have a great friendship. We communicate non-stop,” Williams said.

“Actually, I had the chance to talk to him last night and I wish him the best regardless of if he stays or doesn’t. We’re always going to have a great relationship with each other and always going to keep in touch. We have a great chemistry together on the field. They know that we’re probably one of the best duos of safeties in the league and I’m pretty sure they want to keep him.”

Byrd has been named an All-Pro three times in five seasons with the Bills including each of the last two seasons. If both sides get their wish, Byrd will have the chance to add more All-Pro selections to his resume in Buffalo.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Aaron Williams says Jairus Byrd wants to remain in Buffalo”
  1. meatcarroll says: Mar 7, 2014 2:18 AM

If Jairus Byrd wants to be a part of something special he’ll sign with the Seahawks at veteran minimum in order to back up Earl Thomas and the Legion of Boom 😂

2. believeland2014 says: Mar 7, 2014 2:35 AM

Why would he want to play for a loser like the bills? When he can play for a winner like the browns.

Hoyer>>>>>>>your QB
    Gordon >>>>> your WR
    Cameron >>>>> your TE

U MAD?

3. robreg22 says: Mar 7, 2014 3:27 AM

For the love of God stick around Byrd!!

4. mjw9326mjw9326 says: Mar 7, 2014 6:41 AM

Don’t bet on it Williams. Now that you just signed for $6.5 million a year for four years, do you think they will sink over ten million a year on Byrd? I doubt it. Hey Byrd, you greedy Ba#@*#d. Don’t let the door hit you in the butt on the way out of town.
    Poor baby. 30 million over three years wasn’t good enough for you? Screw you.

5. toddsage1billsfan says: Mar 7, 2014 6:42 AM

Would be great if the Bills signed Byrd too!…..but tying up ~18 million for the safety position is not wise in the salary cap era. Highly unlikely this happens due to Byrd….o excuse me, Eugene Parker wanting to break the bank.

6. limitfive says: Mar 7, 2014 7:07 AM

It would be nice but I have no faith that it will actually happen.

7. jacksonjames4 says: Mar 7, 2014 7:29 AM

This is THE example of why this franchise hasn’t been a contender. They let the best players they have walk out the door one by one. There’s many very good playmakers , on other teams, that were once a Bill. Lynch was the last now Byrd . They just can’t get it done

8. EJ says: Mar 7, 2014 7:51 AM

Aaron Williams’ move to Safety simply revived his dying Cornerback career and gave Buffalo a much needed piece in their defensive puzzle. It is too bad that after finding one solid DB, another moves on…

9. oldbyrd says: Mar 7, 2014 7:55 AM

Byrd should fly like an Eagle.

10. thebirdsareback says: Mar 7, 2014 8:11 AM

and why the hell would he ever want to do that. I hope the Ravens sign this guy. Him and Elam in the back with Webb, Jimmy Smith, and hopefully Graham. Man that ish would be LOB2.0

11. iloveagoodnap says: Mar 7, 2014 8:29 AM

Okay I know Aaron improved immensely last season after switching from CB to Saftey but he considers hismelf part of the “best duo”?? Lol. Aaron, I wish you the best, but if you were truly that good then your Bills pass D wouldnt have been good for 1-2 50 yard deep ball a game.

I mean, honestly.

12. jeffreyshulenburg says: Mar 7, 2014 8:57 AM

iloveagoodnap says:
    Mar 7, 2014 8:29 AM

I mean, honestly.
    ____________________________________

Do you think that may have been more to do with the first 3 CBs and Byrd sitting out half the season? I mean, Williams is a good player, but he cant cover everyone.

Honestly, Williams is a better fir for the Schwartz system anyway. And Williams stat line last season is fairly comparable to anything Byrd has done since 2010. Now, the question is if they will keep both or just one. March 11th cant come fast enough to end our torture :(

13. exboomer says: Mar 7, 2014 9:12 AM

If Byrd wants to stay a Bill then he needs to make it happen. The team has offered to pay him 10 mil a year with 27 mil guaranteed and he turned it down so his words are meaningless unless he signs the offer.

14. iloveagoodnap says: Mar 7, 2014 9:57 AM

@jeffreyshulenburg, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and though the same thing. But when all their corners were back the same thing still happened. And as you said Williams cant cover to save his life.

Look I like him, glad they resigned him, and think he’s solid. But there’s no world in which he is part 1 of 2 of the best safety duo.

15. bigbadbills says: Mar 7, 2014 9:59 AM

Hoyer>>>>>>>your QB
    Gordon >>>>> your WR
    Cameron >>>>> your TE

U MAD?
    ————————————————————

Mimi is a Cleveland 10

16. Billsweregreatonce says: Mar 7, 2014 10:08 AM

Don’t leave Buffalo, be a part of something special. Go Bills!!!!!!

17. customframingtoyou says: Mar 7, 2014 10:41 AM

believeland, WHAT are you smoking? winners like the Browns??????

18. steveny5 says: Mar 7, 2014 11:56 AM

I thought that Byrd would never leave, now he’s as good as gone.

19. EJ says: Mar 7, 2014 11:57 AM

Stephon Gilmore, Leodis McKelvin, Nickell Robey, Ron Brooks, Duke Williams, DaNorris Searcy, Aaron Williams and ? Byrd coming back would give Buffalo the most stable defensive backfield the team has had since the 1991 season, when Clifford Hicks, Kirby Jackson, Henry Jones, Nate Odomes, Leonard Smith, James Williams and Mark Kelso wore the Red, White and Blue. Though I would love to see Byrd stay with Buffalo, my reasonable side tells me it would be an extremely slim chance it happens.

20. jdreese1 says: Mar 7, 2014 2:33 PM

I hope the Bills and Byrd can get a contract, then start getting ready for the 2014-15 season. Denver released Champ Baily and Byrd would help their defense. But please Buffalo brass find a way of keeping this player in a Bills uniform.

21. djshnooks says: Mar 7, 2014 3:31 PM

Duke Williams will surprise you all.

We don’t need Byrd…he missed 5 games and they seemed to play fine without him.

I’m comfortable with Gilmore – McKelvin – Robey – Duke/Searcy – Aaron Williams…not to mention bringing in a Jimmy Leonhard like last year, or a guy Schwartz knows in Louis Delmas. No need to pay Byrd.

No team in the league tied up more than $6-$7 million in their safeties combined.

Byrd made more last year than Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor combined.

It’s time he/we move on! He can join his dad and family-friend, Lovie, in Tampa.

22. ghostofgilchrist says: Mar 7, 2014 8:51 PM

I would agree with the comments about tying up that much cash on the Safety position, but the Bills aren’t paying $18M to a QB, so until (unless?) EJ gets real good and they have to pay up, there’s room for excess in other places.