Report: Seven teams have shown interest in Michael Johnson

Green Bay Packers v Cincinnati Bengals Getty Images

PFT’s No. 5-ranked free agent doesn’t appear to be lacking for potential suitors.

Seven teams, including the Vikings, have checked in on Bengals defensive end Michael Johnson, Ben Goessling of ESPN.com reported Saturday.

Goessling reports that it has been indicated that Johnson won’t be re-signing with Cincinnati.

The 27-year-old Johnson has notched 26.5 sacks in regular season play in five NFL campaigns. His most productive pass rushing season was in 2012, when he recorded 11.5 sacks. He had 56 tackles but just 3.5 sacks in 2013.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Report: Seven teams have shown interest in Michael Johnson”
  1. jacobslatter says: Mar 8, 2014 7:04 PM

The Devil went down to Georgia he was lookin’ for a soul to steal… a return down south, Dirty Bird style. Pair with the pay cut takin’ Osi Umenyiora for pass rush elegance.

2. freddypatsfan says: Mar 8, 2014 7:14 PM

Come to New England!

3. imnotsorryisaidthat says: Mar 8, 2014 7:14 PM

The Eagles are showing some interest in Cincinnati free agent Michael Johnson…per Birds 24/7

4. thepftpoet says: Mar 8, 2014 7:17 PM

The only spot Michael Johnson will even consider joining is the Minnesota Vikings.

He’s loyal to his ex-defensive coordinator and soon to be head coach Mike Zimmer.

We will have a top 5 defense under Zimmer next year.

5. haraldsigurdson says: Mar 8, 2014 7:24 PM

I’m interested in whether Oakland has inquired? Their payroll is only something like half of the total cap this year, so they have virtually unlimited bucks to spend.

6. kev86 says: Mar 8, 2014 7:24 PM

JPP and MJ

7. djlexluger says: Mar 8, 2014 7:29 PM

What are these Viking fans smoking?

8. ajgreenhof says: Mar 8, 2014 7:29 PM

The Bengals would be losing a good defensive end in Michael Johnson but with Hunt and Gilberry I think the defense will continue to roll.

I think the Bengals lost him as soon a Zimmer got the Minnesota job.

9. cougar69rt03 says: Mar 8, 2014 7:32 PM

sign him vikes

10. ariani1985 says: Mar 8, 2014 7:33 PM

Come to green bay, no pressure to perform from this defense!

#clownmusic

11. bonniebengal says: Mar 8, 2014 7:46 PM

Zimmer will get him. I love my Bengals but I wish Zimmer all the best. He’s a great coach. I’ll be pulling for him.

12. gojetsgo33 says: Mar 8, 2014 7:55 PM

Vikings will have Everson Griffen and Michael Johnson off the edge next year. Go Vikes.

13. gloomysmitty says: Mar 8, 2014 7:56 PM

If he goes the Vikings that just tells me it’s all about the money and not about winning

14. therooneyskilledwebster says: Mar 8, 2014 8:28 PM

The Providence Steam Roller has more NFL titles than the Minnesota Vikings.

15. chubrock50 says: Mar 8, 2014 8:30 PM

gloomysmitty says: Mar 8, 2014 7:56 PM

No it just means that he is going to play for a coach that he truly likes who has coached him his entire NFL career.

16. tommac65 says: Mar 8, 2014 8:34 PM

Gee he had 11.5 sacks in 2012 and 3.5 in 2013…. Just so happens to be playing next to Geno Atkins in 2012, not in 2013…. Just saying

17. axespray says: Mar 8, 2014 8:40 PM

Does he bring Geno Atkins with him?

18. norwegianwud says: Mar 8, 2014 8:48 PM

Would love to see him opposite of Brian Robison. If we can keep Everson Griffin, he can play in anything Zim will throw at him, 3-4, 4-3, or hybrid, and do it well. Should be an interesting FA period and draft for MN. I’m on the edge of my seat! Bummer we’ll lose Allen. So fun to watch and loyal guy. All good things must come to an end. No pun intended.

19. johnnyb1976 says: Mar 8, 2014 8:50 PM

I love MJ but I’m interested to see how he does without the Geno Atkins factor

20. tommac65 says: Mar 8, 2014 8:58 PM

He played without Atkins already in 2013, 3.5 sacks

21. 92nick182govikings says: Mar 8, 2014 9:53 PM

Vikings need to land michael johnson! The vikes always know how to replace players that are leaving the team. With zim as head coach the vikings got to be the number 1 landing spot for johnson.

22. raiderapologist says: Mar 8, 2014 9:58 PM

johnnyb1976 says: Mar 8, 2014 8:50 PM

I love MJ but I’m interested to see how he does without the Geno Atkins factor
    ————
    You already saw it last season.

23. banlarson says: Mar 8, 2014 10:01 PM

Welcome to MN Mr. Johnson. He’ll get the money he deserves and be reunited with his DC, plus help MN forget about Jarred Allen and his 2013 $17 million cap number.

24. taintedsaints2009 says: Mar 8, 2014 10:14 PM

Why hasn’t Griffen been resigned? He is an amazing defensive end and would be much cheaper

25. realskipbayless says: Mar 8, 2014 10:19 PM

Please come back to Cincy. I said please!!

26. haraldsigurdson says: Mar 8, 2014 10:30 PM

Atkins played 9 games last year. For those equating MJ’s drop off in sacks to Atkins, I don’t think that adequately explains it.

27. norwegianwud says: Mar 8, 2014 10:37 PM

Griffen doesn’t have to put his hand in the dirt to be effective. Big plus for a Zimmer D in my opinion. Easy 3-4 transition, if he flexes the line. Pay him up and keep him, regardless of Johnson. LB or DE he gets to QB.

28. whatjusthapped says: Mar 9, 2014 9:05 AM

One thing about the Vikings, they have proven that they are willing to pay huge money for very little production from the DE spot. Jared Allen made $17 mil last year and what did he do? Well, he helped them finish in last place, the same place Johnson will be if he chooses to throw away any chance of winning by signing with the Vikings.

29. knew8411 says: Mar 10, 2014 6:51 PM

The Providence Steam Roller has more NFL titles than the Minnesota Vikings.

Ummmmmno they dont….even if they had an NFL franchise. I dont ever recall seeing the Steamrollers win a Super Bowl.