The Jets left the door open a crack to a possible return from cornerback Antonio Cromartie when they cut him on Sunday, something that appeared to be of interest to Cromartie earlier in the offseason when discussing the possibility that he and his $9.5 million cap charge would be thrown overboard.
On Monday, Cromartie said that he’s not ruling out re-signing with the Jets after they made what he called “a business decision” after a less than “ideal season” in terms of performance and health. He’s not just going to wait for the Jets to call him back, however.
“The door’s still open,” Cromartie said on ESPN Radio, via the New York Daily News. “But I’m going to test the market, see where my numbers are.”
Wherever he winds up, Cromartie promised that the league would see the Cromartie of old rather than the one that struggled through the 2013 season with a bad hip. With the Jets reportedly showing interest in corners like Alterraun Verner and Captain Munnerlyn and Cromartie saying they didn’t attempt to adjust his contract, that may well prove to be in another uniform.