Skip to content

Bears will release Michael Bush

31b8d3983c91eb64dbfa02efe1a92825 Getty Images

All around the league, teams are getting their houses in order ahead of Tuesday’s start of free agency by releasing players to gain more cap space.

The Bears are no exception. PFT has learned via a league source that the Bears will release running back Michael Bush.

Bush played 28 games for the Bears over the last two seasons as a backup to Matt Forte and ran for 608 yards on 177 carries. He ran for just 197 of those yards (at 3.1 yards a pop) last season, however, and was set to make $2.85 million in 2014. Replicating that at a cheaper price would be easy, but the Bears should be able to do better than that whether they find another back to complement Forte in free agency or the draft.

Bush, meanwhile, turns 30 in June and his tepid performance in Chicago isn’t likely to inspire a parade of bidders right out of the gate. His more successful run with the Raiders should get him a look somewhere eventually, though.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Bears will release Michael Bush”
  1. r8dernation says: Mar 10, 2014 6:00 PM

    Come back to Oakland, we still love ya!

  2. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 10, 2014 6:03 PM

    Or some teams like the Lions won’t ever get their house in order and just move along the best they can regardless of their shapes.

  3. rl7911 says: Mar 10, 2014 6:10 PM

    The Bears overpaid for Bush like they do with every FA.

  4. juliuspeppersandonions says: Mar 10, 2014 6:10 PM

    Soft as butter. Can never get a 4 and 1…

  5. lalder95 says: Mar 10, 2014 6:11 PM

    Good riddance. I liked what I saw from rookie Michael Ford last year anyway. Free up that $!

  6. meatcarroll says: Mar 10, 2014 6:24 PM

    Still better than George Bush.

  7. 4allintensivepurposes says: Mar 10, 2014 6:33 PM

    Well, they just threw away their chances of going 7-9 this year.

  8. wjarvis says: Mar 10, 2014 6:47 PM

    Bears fans should also remember that 40 of those yards were a 40 yard garbage time run against the browns where giving up a first down meant they were guaranteed to lose the game. So really his ypc is around 2.5, which is horrible when you consider he struggled in short yardage situations too. It’s been clear that he was going to be cut for quite a while, I’m surprised it took this long.

  9. pioniere says: Mar 10, 2014 6:50 PM

    Never the same player after he hurt his knee at Louisville.

  10. kane337 says: Mar 10, 2014 7:18 PM

    Future Falcon right here.

  11. phuriousjorge says: Mar 10, 2014 7:22 PM

    Agree with above that we overpay these backups, but we also have been using these guys wrong. Tice and Martz, etc…

  12. alshonbrandontandem says: Mar 10, 2014 7:38 PM

    Now use the $ to resign Melton. And go get Whitner.

  13. kabasaman says: Mar 10, 2014 8:09 PM

    I couldn’t believe they kept him around last season. Waaaaaaay Overpaid

  14. metalhead65 says: Mar 10, 2014 9:07 PM

    good move by the bears now they get a cheaper player to be stuffed on the same dive play they ran for him on short yardage plays that everyone knew was coming. his misuse was the only bad thing about the bears offense lst year. at the end of the season they called a couple of different plays for him and he ripped some big runs.

  15. zo121179 says: Mar 10, 2014 10:28 PM

    It’s too bad this didn’t work out. I really liked the signing a few years back.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!