You wanted it, you got it: A pre-free agency mock draft

Mock Getty Images

You wanted it.  We didn’t.  You won.

We’ve cobbled together a pre-free agency mock draft.  With the help of a real NFL scout.  Not to be confused with someone who isn’t a real NFL scout but who has picked a Twitter handle that calls himself one.

(That’s one of my favorite things about Twitter.  Pick a name, and that’s what you are.  For my next Twitter account, I’ll be “SpaceShuttlePilotNinja.”)

The reaction has been predictable.  The self-styled draft experts scoff, taking way too seriously a process aimed primarily at framing discussions and thinking creatively.  The self-styled draft experts likewise ignore the massive disconnect between the pre-draft obsession and the post-draft reality of football, where most of the names over which the self-styled draft experts have been pouring for months become forgotten.  Forgotten even by the self-styled draft experts, who quickly start looking toward the next draft.

That’s the beauty of one of the NFL’s biggest cottage industries.  Everyone looks forward.  No one looks backward.

Which is good for the self-styled draft experts.  Otherwise, those who insisted for example that a fourth-round quarterback wouldn’t slide past No. 7 possibly would be exposed.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “You wanted it, you got it: A pre-free agency mock draft”
  1. jacobslatter says: Mar 10, 2014 11:31 PM

For #6 the Falcons even though Khalil Mack looks like a stud & they sure need a pass rusher I don’t think they’d let Jake Matthews go. Matty Ice Breakers was the blow up doll in the jailhouse last season and LT Sam Baker could get injured again or more likely be ineffective.

2. stealthjunk says: Mar 10, 2014 11:31 PM

worst . . . mock draft . . . ever

3. SkeletalDrawing says: Mar 10, 2014 11:37 PM

Are you not entertained?!!

4. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 10, 2014 11:39 PM

It’s actually a pretty neat mock I kinda like it. I’m quite disappointed because I was hoping to find some really horrible things to tear apart but it was original and interesting. I just have a hard time buying that the Texans would stab at Greg Robinson versus trading down and seeing what happens, but it is an option they have to consider. Which is also the reason we need more mocks later and maybe some segments focused on hypothetical trade scenarios. Maybe that could be a daily bit where you invoke a new trade option that shakes up the draft.

5. patriotsarespygaters says: Mar 10, 2014 11:57 PM

Ain’t nobody got time for that

6. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 11, 2014 12:01 AM

It was a decent SpaceShuttlePilotNinja mock draft. That’s all you can ask at this point.

7. clashpoint says: Mar 11, 2014 12:17 AM

I’ll say now what I’ve said elsewhere:

Every year I declare myself eligible and every year they pass me over. Well not this year! This year I’m in shape, focused and ready to start my NFL career. My wonderlic score was 237. Yeah thats right, 237! I took it 10 times, thats my total, and my story, and I’m sticking to it. Ignore me at your peril, NFL.

8. sportsbastard says: Mar 11, 2014 12:29 AM

If anyone in the top 8 is offering, the Rams are moving down.

9. napoleen99 says: Mar 11, 2014 12:36 AM

That draft expert put up a big goose egg in his final mock draft last year

10. cubbybeers41 says: Mar 11, 2014 6:53 AM

I can’t see the Rams taking Sammy Watkins. He is too similar to Tavon Austin. It doesn’t make sense. They should trade back and take Mike Evans. It makes more sense.

11. ravenswhat says: Mar 11, 2014 7:25 AM

Lol at dri archer going 1st rd. oh my!!!

Texans pass on a QB and Clowney for an OL?? Good grief.

12. wyrdawg says: Mar 11, 2014 7:31 AM

Wait… who exactly asked for this?