Agent blasts report of Browner deal in New England

Hockey Getty Images

Just as the evening was beginning to slow down, it has picked up.  In a big way.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reported via Twitter that the Patriots agreed to terms with free-agent cornerback Brandon Browner.  Browner’s agent begs to differ.  In a very unique way.

“It’s 100 percent untrue,” agent Peter Schaffer told PFT by phone, moments after the report landed on Twitter.  “I’ve got four teams to negotiate with.  I’ve got irresponsible journalists who don’t check their facts putting this stuff out there, and my phone is blowing up when I’m trying to play hockey.”

Schaffer plays in a recreational hockey league in Denver.

“I’ve got very little patience for irresponsible journalists who put this stuff out and ruin my night,” Schaffer said.  “My phone is going nuts.  I just wanna play hockey.”

All Browner wants to do is play football.  Schaffer has made it clear that Browner has not yet picked a team, in one of the most colorful ways we can recall.

Permalink 89 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
89 Responses to “Agent blasts report of Browner deal in New England”
  1. jjrs89 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:30 PM

Well, that’s Ian Rappaport alright

2. sixchr says: Mar 13, 2014 10:31 PM

Sounds like Browner is telling his family/friends he’s picking New England and his agent is mad about losing the leverage over the other teams.

3. newenglandsports11 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:31 PM

But Revis’ agent literally said the exact same thing last night…

4. clemsonfanjt says: Mar 13, 2014 10:31 PM

In a rush to be first too may times we are fed WRONG Info……Poor Ian

5. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:32 PM

So the guy wants time off at what has to be one of the busiest times of his work year ?

Oh waaaaaaaaa

6. 216orangeandbrown says: Mar 13, 2014 10:32 PM

Whiney little overpaid bitch.

7. taintedsaints2009 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:32 PM

i bet this guy introduces himself as an alpha male. and is serious.

8. thepftpoet says: Mar 13, 2014 10:32 PM

Brandon Browner’s NFL career:

From the CFL

To PED central.

To the home of video taping other teams.

9. elwaysagenius says: Mar 13, 2014 10:32 PM

Rapoport says that Browner is telling people close to him he’s a Patriot. WHAT DO WE BELIEVE?

10. sdisme says: Mar 13, 2014 10:34 PM

Peter Schaffer > Revis Business Manager?

11. jdphx says: Mar 13, 2014 10:34 PM

NFL agent = Job
    Hockey = Hobby

You have a job that is sometimes 24/7. (like when
    the guy who pays you is seeking work)

Please re-examine your priorities Mr. Agent.
    Perhaps your client/clients will think this too…

12. aleksbrock says: Mar 13, 2014 10:34 PM

Great to see rec league hockey is more important than his client! Do your job bro.

13. Steeley McBeam says: Mar 13, 2014 10:35 PM

Not the first time with Rapoport, Ben Rothelisberger feels your pain.

14. bennyb82 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:36 PM

Probably not safe to text/talk and skate.

15. djshnooks says: Mar 13, 2014 10:36 PM

Awesome…Stupid media/journalists.

Hockey rules!

16. crik911 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:36 PM

I’m not choosing sides here, but can he sue for missing playoff time? He was re-instated after all.

17. jsho55 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:36 PM

That’s a good agent right there…..the biggest week for your client, and supposedly negotiating with 4 parties…..and your biggest worry is yourself playing hockey.

18. charmcitychampions says: Mar 13, 2014 10:37 PM

Well don’t let your job get in the way of playing hockey with your buddies. By all means….

19. bostonian13 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:38 PM

GET THIS DONE PATRIOTS!!!!

20. prideof10000lakes says: Mar 13, 2014 10:38 PM

Obviously his agent has better things to do then negotiate million dollar contracts.

Hit me up Brandon.

21. mutohasaposse says: Mar 13, 2014 10:38 PM

Not a way to attract future clients. “I won’t go the extra mile for my clients during the most crucial times when I am busy engaging in a hobby.”

On the flip side though, loved that he ripped irresponsible journalism.

22. buffalodiehard says: Mar 13, 2014 10:39 PM

“I just wanna play hockey!”

I’m using that in my next argument with my girlfriend!

23. mataug says: Mar 13, 2014 10:39 PM

Isn’t this the time the guy should be working on getting his client a new deal instead of playing hockey ? There have been many late deals in the past couple of days.

24. bobbygray999 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:39 PM

LOL – I hope he’s a better agent than hockey player

25. tomhagen1 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:39 PM

“I’ve got no patience for irresponsible journalists putting stuff out about my irresponsible client.”

26. rg3enoughsaid says: Mar 13, 2014 10:39 PM

lol… jesus, this guy loves his hockey, eh?

27. logicalvoicesays says: Mar 13, 2014 10:40 PM

Browner doesn’t want to play for the Spygate Patriots he wants to don the historic Burgundy and Gold and WIN LEGIT SUPERBOWLS! #TheRedskinsdothingstheRIGHTWAY

28. vaphinfan says: Mar 13, 2014 10:41 PM

Never can believe anything out of new england. Something funny is ALWAYS going on there. Just like yesterday when it was reported one year deal for revis now its two. And im sure their 8 – 0 record at home had nothing to do with refs or cheating especially when they were 4 – 4 on the road.

29. audge86 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:42 PM

Just let the man play hockey!

30. wvujess20 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:42 PM

I’m not sure how you nominate agent of the year, but he has my vote!!! He will clear $100k+ when Browner signs, as he should, the guy has always put his clients first!

31. slippery1 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:43 PM

To save everyone all the time in typing, I’ll do it for you. “You’d sure look good in a (insert your team here ) uniform.”

32. missthemexpos says: Mar 13, 2014 10:43 PM

Had a WTF moment when I saw the picture before reading the story!

33. wideright91 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:43 PM

New England is cheaters paradise.

34. jake6881 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:44 PM

Whaaaaaaaaa
    WhAAAAAAAAAAAAA

35. belichickdominatedjoemontana says: Mar 13, 2014 10:44 PM

“I’ve got very little patience for irresponsible journalists who put this stuff out and ruin my night,” Schaffer said. “My phone is going nuts. I just wanna play hockey.”

Brandon, time to get a new agent.

36. chip56 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:45 PM

It does point out the downside of instant media. Journalists used to care about being right, now they just want to be first.

37. chawk12thman says: Mar 13, 2014 10:45 PM

Funny; Reporting the information in a “scoop” type of venue is the goal. It has problems when taken without any confirmation source. That is todays’ blog world……. Just going to have to deal with it.

38. campcouch says: Mar 13, 2014 10:45 PM

boo hoo.

39. flogginthelog says: Mar 13, 2014 10:45 PM

no one wants a cheater.

40. kuranda84 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:46 PM

That’s an awesome reply to the media.

41. anthonykornheiser says: Mar 13, 2014 10:46 PM

What’s with the bruins and Canadiens pic?

42. purple1967 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:47 PM

Is this dude playing hockey with his phone on his hip??

43. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 13, 2014 10:47 PM

As a football agent how much you care to play hockey isn’t of any consequence to getting the job done which should be the focus. So leave those details out of it since nobody cares and it’s not relevant to the business at hand. Chalk it up to one of the inconveniences of having the unique job that you have, that kind of stuff comes with the territory and shouldn’t be factored in or cited if it can affect the perception of the quality and integrity of your client’s business representatives, cause that could cost him some money and your job is supposed to be to maximize his position, not minimize it.

44. marima07 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:48 PM

That’s pretty funny. As a positive hockey-sign, the Boston Bruins won tonight, so I’m going with the Browner to the Patriots report as true.

45. flacconation says: Mar 13, 2014 10:51 PM

Why is he playing Hockey when he has 4 teams to negotiate with?!?!?

46. billybone says: Mar 13, 2014 10:51 PM

This agent kicks a$$.

47. patriotsdefense says: Mar 13, 2014 10:52 PM

If he could translate to SS, then this is great signing. While he serves this suspension those young kids can get playing time; Harmon&Wilson&Ebner

48. hansenbrothers says: Mar 13, 2014 10:52 PM

I’ve long maintained that Ian just makes stuff up.

49. bucrightoff says: Mar 13, 2014 10:53 PM

He knows hockey is awesome so he wants to get back to it. Respect.

50. titansbro says: Mar 13, 2014 10:54 PM

Lol, I love this guy. Dude is awesome.

51. nflfan22 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:55 PM

Ian CrapReport is developing quite a reputation.

52. Patskrieg dot com says: Mar 13, 2014 10:55 PM

For gods sake just let him play NHLPA 94!!

53. dlk47823 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:57 PM

This dude is suspended for the first 4 games and is nothing without the juice!

54. southpaw79 says: Mar 13, 2014 10:59 PM

The secret is out. Some one should of told the agent the Browner is known for holding receivers, not secrets.

55. Revis and Buttfumble says: Mar 13, 2014 11:00 PM

Sorry, but if he is playing hockey in Denver, who the hell is negotiating Browners deal in New England???

56. thraiderskin says: Mar 13, 2014 11:01 PM

Anyone else notice that logical voice always complains about spygaye/cheating, then pftpoet makes a comment in this article in the exact manner?

57. bigdaddy44 says: Mar 13, 2014 11:04 PM

If this report ends up coming true, or if Bill signs another quality corner, Pats fans should love it football wise. Revis and Browner would show a true shift in Belichick’s approach. Spending for top flight DB talent, instead of instead of relying on lesser talent and fitting them into their system, is a huge step in the right direction. It’s a pass first league now, and strong coverage is the right place to start. With a solid linebacking core already, it would be time to rebuild the line with more of an emphasis on pass rush, which has been almost nonexistent in recent years.

58. thenewguy12 says: Mar 13, 2014 11:10 PM

LOL at this agent, the busiest time of year for his profession and his waffles are soggy because work is cutting into his happy fun time? Yeah, this sort of excellent dedication and work ethic would really want to make me hire him.

59. atwatercrushesokoye says: Mar 13, 2014 11:10 PM

To those saying “why is he playing hockey when he should be negotiating?” maybe it’s because Browner hasn’t picked a team yet so there’s no need to negotiate?

There’s no need for him to be negotiating if Browner decided to take more visits or wants to sleep on it tonight before deciding.

As everyone is pointing out this is his busiest time of the year which is why he’s probably upset at not being able to enjoy some of the few down minutes he has.

60. bradyisbest says: Mar 13, 2014 11:13 PM

if I was browner,i would let him know he has one less client! and then throw in a hockey puck for his trouble!

61. seahawksbmx says: Mar 13, 2014 11:14 PM

Heard Schaffer in an extended radio interview last week. That dude is a textbook bulldog lawyer.

62. themagicman1223 says: Mar 13, 2014 11:23 PM

Schaefer**** And yes I had to google it.

63. zimaman says: Mar 13, 2014 11:25 PM

If I was Browner I would fire this guys BUTT. The Hockey game is more important than a multi million dollar client? Where is your priorities?

Get your butt off the ice and on the phone or your fired.

64. salscobrakai says: Mar 13, 2014 11:30 PM

I don’t believe anything until Adam Schefter tweets it.

65. turfczar57 says: Mar 13, 2014 11:46 PM

“I just want to play hockey”
    I said the same thing to my boss….anyone know someone who’s hiring?

66. raidermanrock says: Mar 13, 2014 11:50 PM

He will sign with the raiders bank on it .go raiders

67. hawksforlife says: Mar 14, 2014 12:18 AM

Funny how everyone was saying all seahawks are ped users but as soon as their team offers an ex Seahawk they want them on their team. All I can say is HYPOCRYTES.

68. gregbeau says: Mar 14, 2014 12:24 AM

Patriots need to be signing quality receivers instead of corners.

69. chawk12thman says: Mar 14, 2014 12:28 AM

The agent says he has 4 teams to negotiate with……..so do it already and stop playing Hockey…….If I was Browner I might wonder what priority I am to may agent. Time is money.

70. patriotinvasion says: Mar 14, 2014 12:37 AM

Sherman already congratulated Browner on Twitter and Ian says he tweeted that because of sources close to Browner said he would choose New England. Sorry haters…get ready for more Patriots. Until Brady and Belichick hang up the cleats you will have to endure our wrath.

71. andreboy1 says: Mar 14, 2014 12:39 AM

I wouldn’t want my client associated with the Patriots, either.

72. upperdecker19 says: Mar 14, 2014 1:19 AM

Jeez, I hope the agent’s CPA takes April 15th off to play golf

73. canhawk says: Mar 14, 2014 1:38 AM

Can anyone actually read with comprehension anymore? He is mad about the calls about the false media report – not about calls about deals for his client. The instant media with little fact checking is fed by the instant readers with little comprehensive abilities who want instant gratification for little mental effort. Just saying.

74. cnote82 says: Mar 14, 2014 2:10 AM

New England can sign all the CBs they want, they arent winning another Superbowl until they hire a new cameraman.

Must suck for Pats fans to know that pretty much no one outside of the Pats fanbase respects their Superbowls. They will always be tainted titles. They couldnt win without cheating. Disgraceful.

75. mdd913 says: Mar 14, 2014 2:13 AM

FYI if this is “the” Peter Schaefer, he’s a former NHLer. Pretty decent one too.

76. weaponxdawk says: Mar 14, 2014 2:16 AM

His agent’s quotes are amazing btw “I just wanna play hockey”

77. sarobs06 says: Mar 14, 2014 2:23 AM

I think this guy also represented Oggie Ogelthorpe

78. coachglove says: Mar 14, 2014 2:24 AM

I’m with you atwater…I mean hell…most of those teams might be east coast and the people he’d be negotiating with might be either a) sleeping or b) working on other things as well. Folks on here acting all foolish like maybe the agent talked to his client who said he wanted to think about all the potential offers and they’d talk in the morning. Or any of 10983882082 possible statements all ending in the agent not needing, nor expecting to need to be on the phone for that 1.5 hours.

79. afcdomination says: Mar 14, 2014 2:42 AM

that is just amazing to me. see at my job, when we have a huge deal on the line, I cannot just step away, or I could as I am my own boss, but why would I do that?

this man represents athletes in the NFL who have a pretty small signing window. one would think you would be playing those 4 teams on the phone against each other, not hockey.

80. afcdomination says: Mar 14, 2014 2:44 AM

down time? how about all season when his NFL athletes are playing. he could go play hockey weeks 1-17.

I think some of us, who work real jobs, are just somewhat perplexed by the timing of taking time off. do you take time off in what is by far the most important and busiest time of the year?

I’d get a new agent.

81. garrison1981 says: Mar 14, 2014 2:53 AM

Another guy that would love to have in Det

82. revskip says: Mar 14, 2014 2:53 AM

I love the misdirected anger at the agent who is doing his job while glossing over the fact that “journalists” are making up reports to hit their bylines.

Pretty sure that the agent isn’t slacking off on negotiations to play recreational hockey during working hours (which is why this “story” was posted after 10pm) and equally sure that the 24 hour news cycle ensures that many “journalists” make things up in order to continue having jobs.

83. anygivensundayfan says: Mar 14, 2014 3:33 AM

Browner is one toke away from a year-long suspension. Good luck with that.

84. mpingersoll says: Mar 14, 2014 4:01 AM

P.S….. Just because some other idiots are spreading rumors instantly proves he isn’t doing his job?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA… Maybe that’s why you pull in 30k a year, shut your mouth and just cheer your team on. You have NO IDEA what the hell you are talking about. And I promise you everyone one you idolize in professional sorts would laugh at you too

85. patpatriot7 says: Mar 14, 2014 7:08 AM

Funny, but both local papers this morning reported that Browner’s agent was upset that it was the Browns who had signed his client. As the articles went, he was in the middle of playing a hockey game om Denver and was upset that his cell phone was being inundated with calls to that affect.

It’s unlikely that any such report would have leaked out of Foxborough as it is easier to pry information from the Pentagon than the Patriots!

86. Noel Thomas says: Mar 14, 2014 7:17 AM

How dare people in the media create a buzz about my out-of-work and needing-a-job client!!!

So what if the first couple of days of free agency is when all the big deals get done? As soon as I play some hockey, shoot some hoops, watch all the back episodes of Arrow on Netflix…maybe I’ll get back to the team that just paid $12 mil for a CB.

In the menatime, stop bugging me with all this signing talk.

87. jimmyt says: Mar 14, 2014 8:13 AM

Most of you totally miss the point.

88. touchdownroddywhite says: Mar 14, 2014 8:24 AM

Has it occurred to anybody that maybe he had finished his current round of talks with the team and is pissed because they were only calling to see if the report about signing with the Pats was true? I’m sure he wouldn’t have pitched a fit if these teams were calling to make or discuss offers…

89. 2013 NFC East Champs says: Mar 14, 2014 10:32 AM

Didn’t Rappaport explain to the agent . . I have an un-named source ?