Chargers find their new backup QB in Kellen Clemens

Kellen Clemens AP

The Chargers were obviously not devastated by the news backup quarterback Charlie Whitehurst was going to Tennessee.

Because within minutes, they had replaced him.

The team announced they had agreed to a two-year deal with Kellen Clemens to be their backup.

The main difference between the two lately is that Clemens has played. He started nine games for the Rams last year.

Clemens has a 68.6-64.6 edge in all-time passer rating, and has a 8-13 record as a starter compared to Whitehurst’s 1-3.

And the reality is, if either of them end up playing a lot, or at all, it’s probably bad news.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams
8 Responses to “Chargers find their new backup QB in Kellen Clemens”
  1. 4allintensivepurposes says: Mar 13, 2014 5:36 PM

I hope you don’t mean BACKUP backup. You mean third string backup………………..right?

2. elliottcovert says: Mar 13, 2014 5:40 PM

I wonder what Bernie Kosar about this.

3. hawksfan4life1001 says: Mar 13, 2014 5:45 PM

Clemens is much better than CBJ. CBJ was terrible when in Seattle.

4. schmitty2 says: Mar 13, 2014 6:05 PM

For all of you complaining about Clemens..he actually wasn’t half bad last year. It could be worse for Charger fans.. at least their back-ups aren’t Mccoy and Gabbert.

5. wnadler says: Mar 13, 2014 10:27 PM

I have a sneaky feeling SD will be the the clowns that reach on Manziel in the 1st. He could sit behind Rivers one year and learn some humility. Clemens isnt a viable BU IMO. He couldnt even beat out Sanchez who is likely out of the league this year. They would have been better off going after Weeden. This could be Rivers last year in SD. His contract only has like 1-2 mil guaranteed next year and he is 33. If they dont trade or cut him I’d honestly be shocked. He is like a 15 mil cap savings next year I believe. I cant see them giving him anther 5 years at 16+ mil and that is what he should be asking for after what Romo got. Stupid Dallas WAY over paid.

6. amusicunlimited says: Mar 13, 2014 10:35 PM

… “at least their back-ups aren’t Mccoy and Gabbert ” or Josh Freeman

7. evansvc says: Mar 14, 2014 5:50 PM

GM/Coach, sit down and talk to this guy…I think he can help…..
    There are a lot worse QBs on NFL rosters that has never had the success Vince Young has had …(NFL Rookie of the Year, 2 Pro Bowls, Playoff experience and Mobility). Vince has a career winning record of 31-19…
    I hope he gets another chance even if it’s third string…

8. natelan69 says: Mar 16, 2014 12:05 PM