Justin Blackmon cited for Jacksonville crash

Jacksonville Jaguars v Denver Broncos Getty Images

Jaguars receiver Justin Blackmon wasn’t able to dodge a guardrail.  But he nevertheless dodged a bullet.

According to Chris Parenteau of WJXT in Jacksonville, Blackmon has been cited for careless driving after a one-vehicle incident.  His SUV struck a guardrail and landed in a ditch after blowing out a tire.

The good news for Blackmon is that police concluded there were no signs of alcohol in connection with the crash.

Blackmon currently is suspended by the NFL for multiple violations of the substance-abuse policy.  He’s eligible to apply for reinstatement before the 2014 regular season.  Any further violations would extend his absence even longer.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Justin Blackmon cited for Jacksonville crash”
  1. arwiv says: Mar 15, 2014 12:21 PM

Unless the cop was behind him, how the heck does he cite Blackmon with careless driving? The guy blows a tire and crashes, winds up in a ditch….AND gets a ticket?
    As a 22 year vet of a REAL police department (Newark NJ) I say that cops need to calm down. Whether its a football player or John Q Public…..people who have just gone through a lousy experience don’t need their lives made even more difficult by getting a stupid ticket.

2. lightcleric says: Mar 15, 2014 12:25 PM

I’m confused how you get cited for careless driving if, as the tweet says, he had a tire blow out. Is that his fault?

3. mthor24 says: Mar 15, 2014 12:27 PM

“Dodged a bullet”, he was just driving like any other person and his tire blew out yet you feel the need to make this sensationalistic article pointing out he’s had substance abuse issues in the past like it’s somehow relevant to a traffic incident.

All in the name of more clicks.

4. ttommytom says: Mar 15, 2014 12:35 PM

Florida has some odd rules.

WHY does a cop need to assign blame in a ONE car accident? You’re only helping the insurance companies. You’re also often speculating without experience or proof.

So he was careless for having a bad tire?

PS

I’m a retired cop, so I am NOT anti-cop. I’m just anti-stupid and anti-insurance companies.

5. Obama's Ballsack says: Mar 15, 2014 12:38 PM

Trade him to the Pats.

6. 78jaguar says: Mar 15, 2014 12:38 PM

Thank GOODNESS Blackmon is safe and CLEAN. We have the beginnings of something good being built in Jacksonville, and having JB on board would be a major plus!

7. shackdelrio says: Mar 15, 2014 12:39 PM

Such a talented player. But clearly this guy is a bonehead.

8. gbpackman says: Mar 15, 2014 12:45 PM

Since when is blowing a tire and losing control “careless driving”?

9. rynjny says: Mar 15, 2014 12:55 PM

How is he a bonehead for having a blown tire? grow up people and don’t act like you never been out driving at 3:30am. come on now

10. helixir1 says: Mar 15, 2014 12:56 PM

Maybe their was alcohol involved. The police officer may have given him a break by offering a careless driving.

11. squibkicker says: Mar 15, 2014 1:34 PM

From a traffic cop I’m sure that there were witnesses and contributing factors such as erratic driving & speed. Not to mention the possibility of skid marks stretching hundreds of feet. Thus a traffic summons issued. Any rookie cop would know these basics.

12. braceyourselffor12 says: Mar 15, 2014 1:36 PM

Florida.

13. revren10 says: Mar 15, 2014 1:43 PM

To bad he’s such a knuckle head kid could’ve been great, hope he finally defeats his demons. This cop was probably pissed because he’s been a bust as a pic

14. dollarbill247 says: Mar 15, 2014 1:50 PM

This has texting written all over it.

15. bigdawg61009 says: Mar 15, 2014 1:59 PM

I guess cops in other places like to judge what another cop does without having all the facts…. For all we know there could have been witnesses that said he was speeding or was driving aggressive resulting in him hitting the guardrail… Or he could have admitted to driving fast or texting on his phone but I guess it’s better to say the officer was an idiot… We don’t know the facts and without them is it really wise to blame the officer?

16. sincejumpstreet says: Mar 15, 2014 2:03 PM

Thank you squib kicker. Geez people, just because he had a flat tire doesn’t mean the flat caused the damn accident. The accident could have caused the freaking flat.

17. sneadon says: Mar 15, 2014 2:04 PM

I believe he received a ticket because he hit a guardrail, which is State property.

When I hit one, I called and waited for the cops to arrive. When he came, he told me I might as well go, because if he wrote a report he would have to give me a ticket for the guardrail. Then again, this was Missouri.

18. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 15, 2014 2:11 PM

Blackmon actually does drive better when he’s drunk. We thought it was just talk.

19. 1rockyracoon says: Mar 15, 2014 2:18 PM

It sounds like he hit the guardrail then his tire blew out and finally he ended up in a ditch.

20. maddenisfordorks says: Mar 15, 2014 2:26 PM

Hope this guy comes back to the Jags soon, clean, and ready to dominate like he was before this suspension.

21. arwiv says: Mar 15, 2014 2:50 PM

For people questioning us cops on our judgment of the ticket which we deem to be possibly unjust….its common practice in many places to just issue the careless driving ticket and let the chips fall where they may without any proof of anything (I got one in way back in 1988 for hitting a parked car when I lost control of my car in the snow, from a cop who obviously wasn’t on the scene when the accident occurred….and I easily beat it in court). If there was evidence of excessive and erratic driving in the story then Im sure our comments would be different.

22. ttommytom says: Mar 15, 2014 2:58 PM

I’m not saying the officer was anything.

Florida rules is what I am referring to. Cops are her to protect people not speculate. Sorry but I couldn’t live in a place like that.

As far as witnesses are concerned:

Any rookie cop will soon find out that for every 4 witnesses there are 5 different accounts for what occurred.

23. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 15, 2014 3:01 PM

In a statement taken at the scene, Justin said he turned to talk to the bridge abuttment in the front seat beside him and lost control of his girlfriend. He was so angry he got out and slapped his pickup around then threw it face down in the ditch.

24. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 15, 2014 3:07 PM

Blackmon dodged a bullet and crashed into a ditch. Has anyone checked if Hernandez is still in custody?

25. jvillenole says: Mar 15, 2014 4:37 PM

The latest update is that the citation was dropped…