Report: Ben Tate’s deal with the Browns expected today

Ben Tate AP

The Browns appears to have a lead back again, one who has proved his toughness over the years.

According to Fox 8 in Cleveland, via the Cleveland Plain Dealer, former Texans back Ben Tate is expected to sign with the Browns today.

Tate’s been hanging around Cleveland since Thursday, and has been tweeting out skyline photos, so it’s not a surprise he’s hanging around. The deal is pending a physical.

Tate played through broken ribs last year with the Texans, so there’s a good chance he’ll pass.

He gives the Browns a tough, dependable and productive back (4.7 yards per carry), with a chance to prove himself in a full-time role after backing up Arian Foster.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
47 Responses to “Report: Ben Tate’s deal with the Browns expected today”
  1. cb924257 says: Mar 15, 2014 10:42 AM

Tough and durable are not the right words.

he has never played a full season nor a been a full time starter.
    He didnt finish the season last year so il be suprised if he hast past pre season

2. thevikesarebest says: Mar 15, 2014 10:44 AM

He’s doing a deal with the BROWNS,aka he’s ready to throw his career away.meanwhile my Vikes got the best RB in the game.
    SKOL

3. brownsbacker1979 says: Mar 15, 2014 10:47 AM

Love the move.

4. believeland1954 says: Mar 15, 2014 10:48 AM

It appears that Farmer is doing well. Upgrading positions and creating a lot of flexibility for the draft. Still looking for another signing or two for depth.

5. bettis3636 says: Mar 15, 2014 10:53 AM

I knew this deal was gonna happen.. Pretty funny that Benny knew last season that he would be a Brown this upcoming season… weird

6. bigdaddy44 says: Mar 15, 2014 10:58 AM

Always liked this guy. After getting burned by Trent Richardson, looks like they’ve found a number 1 back.

7. texansfalcons says: Mar 15, 2014 11:01 AM

You guys will like him. He’s a tough runner and did great when he filled in for Arian.

8. j0esixpack says: Mar 15, 2014 11:03 AM

Now they’re a running joke – and their fans have been jerked around for the last 20 years by heartless or incompetent owner after owner.

This, however, is a solid move, and it would be nice to at least see this storied franchise return to some degree of respectability

9. realdealsteel says: Mar 15, 2014 11:07 AM

This signing means that the Browns want to use the first round pick on offense (QB) and then go defense. The Browns seem to have a plan and that is get as defensive as they can in a tough division.

10. peytonsneck18 says: Mar 15, 2014 11:09 AM

LOL, this guy isnt better than trent richardson, doesnt have good hands out of the backfield, doesnt run hard, and his stats are inflated cause the Texans had a great zone blocking offensive line. this guys isnt the best pass protecting running back either, but Browns keep telling yourselves that, trent is better than Tate, plus tate was a backup but was always hurt

11. ajgreenhof says: Mar 15, 2014 11:10 AM

“I’m not even a Browns fan but can remember when the Browns were a respected, even feared NFL team.”

Geeze how old are you?

12. chrisbermanpleasegoaway says: Mar 15, 2014 11:10 AM

I hope he fails the physical, it’s a bad move and Farmer did not do his homework. Tate is a fumbler and nothing loses games more than turnovers.

13. blackngold4life says: Mar 15, 2014 11:19 AM

Damn..how much did they pay this dude!? No QB and could Barely find a head coach..

14. brownoholic says: Mar 15, 2014 11:24 AM

Thank the LORD it will be performance based. His injury history is glaring. Hopefully it’ll be OK w Dion Lewis coming back. And I still hope we draft a guy.

15. dawgnme says: Mar 15, 2014 11:48 AM

You mean ” proved his toughness over the ‘year’”. Tate was a glass man until his contract year. Good riddance.

16. bennyb82 says: Mar 15, 2014 11:55 AM

The Browns are just a QB and WR2 and/or WR3 away from being a team to watch out for. I am not a Browns fan but can respect them for making solid moves and improving. It is always better when there are more competitive teams, at least from a fans perspective.

17. kwjsb says: Mar 15, 2014 11:56 AM

Now just sign a fullback to go with him.

18. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Mar 15, 2014 12:21 PM

Excited to see my Brownies making good moves! I was 1 year-old when The Drive happened… I deserve some victories!

19. scmems07 says: Mar 15, 2014 12:25 PM

it’s the browns, something is bound to go wrong.

good moves so far, except for the whitner contract. should have kept ward for that much.

20. clebrowns216 says: Mar 15, 2014 12:26 PM

I like that we got a ‘somewhat’ proven NFL back who has had success in our OC’s system.

These singing give us a lot of flexibility in the draft. Including TRADING UP if necessary. Don’t be afraid Brownies that’s why we accumulated all these “assets” right?

Take the best QB in the draft aka Teddy or Johnny (please don’t tell me about Brian Hoyer that’s a losers mentality, come on) a #2 WR, and a corner and the Browns may actually be goin somewhere.

21. eastofmissball says: Mar 15, 2014 12:28 PM

Texans,, so dam dumb. Again watching talent walk out the door. I can’t think why you would let this guy go?? Foster, prone to injury. Tate, plays w/ broken ribs & shows he can be a team changing RB.

22. bigtimetexanfan says: Mar 15, 2014 12:39 PM

Durable Really?

Missed his entire rookie season with a broken ankle. He has missed 26 games out of a possible 64 regular season games, and did not play due to coaches decision another 8 for a total of 34. So he played sparingly for 25 games and started for 5 games. When he was not fumbling he was a tough runner and a nice change from Arian. Not a good receiver or a good blocker. I guess you will bring in Schaub to go with Tate and Chris Simms bff. Good luck with all of that !!

23. supermanwearsbrownandorange says: Mar 15, 2014 12:44 PM

Sign Alex Mack .

24. kosarkid says: Mar 15, 2014 12:46 PM

Great move for my Brownies if it happens. It’s rumored to be a performance based contract, which is awesome. This move would be even better if we pick up a fullback to help pave the way to the endzone, and another RB in the draft.

25. urbusted2 says: Mar 15, 2014 12:48 PM

This will cap a good free agency off season for the Browns. I don’t think they’ll take a QB with the 4th pick however. They seem to want Hoyer to show what he’s got. They’ll pick up a QB later in the draft. They’ll take Watkins at 4 if he’s available. If not, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them trade out of that pick to acquire more picks. Farmer looks like he learned well under Newsome.

26. bigbenownsthenfl says: Mar 15, 2014 12:54 PM

they still haven’t figured out the key to success!!!! hey brownie clowns as a steeler fan I will let you in on a lil secret….sssshhhhhh don’t tell anyone but…….you need a franchise QB to win in the nfl!!!!! you can get all the other players you want. got no franchise QB…Got no shot!!!! same ol clowns!!! dumb dumb dumb!!!

27. bigbenownsthenfl says: Mar 15, 2014 12:55 PM

28. jbeatty1940 says: Mar 15, 2014 1:06 PM

I don’t know if Tate will be an answer or a liability. However, being a browns fan since the last time they won a championship, (that’s a long time) I am encouraged the with Farmer they are at least trying and seem to have a plan. The last 4 or 5 drafts they didn’t seem to have much plan other than build through the draft. They are picking up pieces and at least giving the impression to other free agents that we are trying to move in a positive direction. I would still love to see Carlos Hyde come here. I hope they pick Sammy Watkins with their 1st round pick to pair with Gordon and Cameron. Then have Tate and Hyde in the backfield. I would love them to go for McCarron in either 2nd or 3rd rd. I don’t think he will last to the 3rd though. Pick up one of the FA qbs to back up Hoyer and develop McCarron. I think McCarron could be a Brady like steal in the draft. However, having been a browns fan for all these years I also realize the the whole thing could blow up and once again the mantra will be “maybe next year”. But, this is the best time of the year for browns fans, right now we have hope, and usually after September, we haven’t had much hope. Keep up the good work Farmer!

29. billytodd2013blbaad says: Mar 15, 2014 1:09 PM

Looks like the Browns actually have a plan this off season which is a first, to bad that come next season their still gonna be the Browns LOL..

30. rohlo says: Mar 15, 2014 1:09 PM

i like tate,but he has never been healthy for a full season as the 2nd string rb..imagine him as a starter getting more hits on him.i will garantee he doesnt play all 16 games in 2014…hes not durable enough to carry the full load…watch!

31. tanstewie says: Mar 15, 2014 1:20 PM

Now draft watkins, then carr, then LB, corner and guard in some order over next 3 picks.

32. clebrowns216 says: Mar 15, 2014 1:39 PM

Hate to say it but but the Steelers fan up there is right. And it’s what I’ve been screaming for years and all this offseason. All these moves are meaningless until we get a GOOD quarterback. Not a decent quarterback. Not a serviceable quarterback. Not Brian Hoyer. An actual GOOD quarterback.

Every time I hear someone say “let’s just stick with Brian Hoyer” I remember why the Browns are the Browns. That is such a typical Browns move. The type of move that this franchise needs to get away from desperately if they want to have any success.

Sometimes I wonder if all this losing has turned a GREAT fan base delusional. I can’t otherwise explain everyone’s infatuation with a journeyman QB who won 2 games, one in which he threw 3 INTs against the leagues 32nd ranked Defense and one in which our defense held the opposing team to a measly 6 points. Apparently that’s what people want from our franchise QB. Count me out…

Just because he looked amazing compared to Brandon Weeden doesn’t mean he’s a franchise QB.

33. blackngold4life says: Mar 15, 2014 1:46 PM

Browns are just a few parts away from being real contenders in the North..They probably have the best Defense already..YES BETTER THEN THE STEELERS AND RATBIRD RAVENS..question is that front office..they’ve had a top 5 draft pick the last 10 years or probably longer..with no results

34. browns4ever says: Mar 15, 2014 1:57 PM

Seems a lot of whiny naysayers are becoming quite nervous about my Browns. Remember he who laughs last laughs BEST. I can’t wait to watch you all eat HUMBLE PIE

35. sportsbastard says: Mar 15, 2014 2:14 PM

I like Tate, but he’s gonna have a tough time finding running room without a QB and behind that garbage OL.

36. jerruhjones says: Mar 15, 2014 2:24 PM

All the Browns haters keep talking about the QB….we have 10 picks. TEN!

We now have a front office with a clue as well…

Go Browns!!!

37. tcstunner says: Mar 15, 2014 2:31 PM

So basically the Browns traded Richardson for a 1st round pick and replaced him with a better RB in Tate. Maybe the Factory of Sadness isn’t so sad anymore!

38. joemammy says: Mar 15, 2014 3:00 PM

Steelers, Ravens and Bengals fans all sounding a little nervous these days.

Love it…

39. oldcracker says: Mar 15, 2014 3:12 PM

I like the signing but, his history of injuries does give me some concern. The Browns need either to sign another RB or draft one to share the duties. I would love to see RB Peyton Hillis back, bulldozing his way through the line for someone like Tate.

A legitimate FB is still needed, and we still need some beef at the Guard positions. Can we move RT Schwartz to RG? Then we still need another RT.

The skill positions will be addressed via the draft. In Ray we trust.

40. bigbenownsthenfl says: Mar 15, 2014 3:38 PM

let me tell you im sure dick lebeau will be super nervous of a QB that you get in the draft!! LOL. silly clowns..might wanna look up steelers record vs rookie Qbs…. but I will say this if you get a chance to take manziel. as a steeler fan I may actually be a little nervous!! just a little though..but with big ben I still think it will be another clean sweep!!! focus browns focus… franchise QB is/has/ and will always be the key to success!!!! get one first. then we will talk!! go steelers!!! #classoftheafcnorth

41. blackngold4life says: Mar 15, 2014 3:57 PM

Winning can make fans delusional too LOL o see gota all the time with SteelerNation

42. coachbeck says: Mar 15, 2014 4:08 PM

when you are unable to draft quality players you sign loads of free agents in the hope that other teams were right/.

43. coachbeck says: Mar 15, 2014 4:09 PM

Tate is gonna have a hard time running in this division. Defenses he will see 6 times a year are some of the leagues best

44. stevekilla420 says: Mar 15, 2014 4:45 PM

Man u guys are nuts talkin bad about hoyer when yall were 4-0 with him as a starter he may not be a franchise guy for years to come but hes was the only reason yall were ever relevant last season even if it didnt last long and I def say yes to drafting a qb to develop behind hoyer (no johnny football please god that guy shouldnt br near the ,1st rd) but hoyer gives u a chance to win he did it with no run game at all and 1 wr granted he had a good te but still I think if he stays healthy browns can have a winning record at worst 8-8

45. stevekilla420 says: Mar 15, 2014 4:48 PM

Oh and to the steelers fan talkin smack like big ben just won this past superbowl… Pfft please the last time ur team was in the playoffs yall got torched by TIM TEEBOOOO

46. tcarden398tcarden398 says: Mar 15, 2014 5:37 PM

Now sign the best right tackle FA left and draft AJ McCarron in the 2nd round. Take a WR with the top pic and draft a couple of guards and Cleveland might be ok.

47. mjr53 says: Mar 15, 2014 6:29 PM

The Browns have had like 20 starting QBs since 99.
    It’s not like they aren’t trying but through bad luck and incompetence they have failed miserably.
    The Colts go from the playoffs to can’t win a game, get no brainer QB Andrew Luck and back to the playoffs.
    Tates better than what the Browns have and he doesn’t cost a draft pick. Better to try to develop a QB with a veteran RB than a rookie. Browns fans who witnessed Jerome Harrison wiffing on blitz pickups know what I mean.