Bridgewater explains decision to shed glove for Pro Day workout

Bridgewater AP

Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater has been wearing a glove during most games for the past couple of years.  For his Pro Day workout on Monday, he shed the glove.

Shaun King asked Bridgewater about the decision during an interview that will are on Monday’s edition of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN.

“Well, when I was training down in Florida you know its 80 degree weather, sunny every day,” Bridgewater said.  “So I was out there throwing without the glove and just letting it rip, so I felt confident coming into this process, coming today that I trained without the glove so I could throw on Pro Day without the glove. So that was the biggest thing that led to that decision.”

Bridgewater also explained that doesn’t emulate any one quarterback.  Instead, he tries to incorporate some of what each of them does best.

“I try to pattern my game after all them because each guy brings something different to the table,” Bridgewater said.  “Peyton Manning, he’s quick with the football, he’s very smart.  Tom Brady, he’s a winner, a competitor.  Aaron Rodgers, he’s a big arm, could throw on the run, he’s mobile.  Drew Brees, decisiveness. The list goes on and on but that’s just a sample of what I try to take away from each guy.”

To hear all of the interview, including Bridgewater’s pitch for being the first pick in the draft, dial up NBCSN at 5:30 p.m. ET.

And if you won’t be home by 5:30 p.m. ET, set your DVR.  And while you’re at it, set your DVR to record the show every day.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
49 Responses to “Bridgewater explains decision to shed glove for Pro Day workout”
  1. realnflmaster says: Mar 17, 2014 4:29 PM

The team who foolishly takes Teddy Bustwater will regret it for years to come.

2. FlashPatterson says: Mar 17, 2014 4:30 PM

“I try to pattern my game after all them because each guy brings something different to the table,” Bridgewater said. “Peyton Manning, he’s quick with the football, he’s very smart. Tom Brady, he’s a winner, a competitor. Aaron Rodgers, he’s a big arm, could throw on the run, he’s mobile. Drew Brees, decisiveness. The list goes on and on but that’s just a sample of what I try to take away from each guy.”

This whole paragraph is a bunch of BS.. Interviews like this are useless. How exactly do you incorporate being a winner, a competitor into your game Geno?.. oops sorry Teddy.

3. 12thlegion says: Mar 17, 2014 4:31 PM

Maybe his pro day problem was a result of that funky grip on the ball in the picture, and not the lack of a glove.

4. ccjcsr says: Mar 17, 2014 4:31 PM

Should have thrown at the combine…who’s advising this kid?

5. ✦ Pittsburgh is the City of Champions ✦ says: Mar 17, 2014 4:32 PM

Bust.

6. chad504boy says: Mar 17, 2014 4:32 PM

Teddy should try losing the watch as well as the gloves.

7. imbetteratlifethanyou says: Mar 17, 2014 4:34 PM

He’s already better than RGMe and anything the vikings have ever had in their pathetic, do-nothing history.

8. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 17, 2014 4:37 PM

He cut the list a little short, I was wondering if he was going to name a QB that is known for rushing yardage and going to include that in his pitch to be #1 that he is going to be more aggressive in trying to pick up yards on the ground. I guess I’ll have to watch the interview and find out if he has a good case to make to be that pick. I’m a tough sell though so good luck with your presentation!

9. jcb6427 says: Mar 17, 2014 4:39 PM

So he talks a good game but can he play at the NFL level? The Raiders better be sure before investing a #1 pick on him. We already got screwed badly by our last #1 pick QB – JaLoser Russell. We don’t need another turkey.

10. psly2124 says: Mar 17, 2014 4:39 PM

Looks eerily similar to geno smith. Both put up gaudy numbers against inferior competition. Bridgewater is a 3rd rounder. He will get a coach and gm fired within 2 years

11. jagsfan1 says: Mar 17, 2014 4:41 PM

Jags fan here – want nothing to do with him.
    He looks like he is still in High School – absolutely NOT a franchise qb.

Not sold on Clowney either…I would go with Sammy Watkins…dude will ALWAYS get open…I know we need a qb but not willing to bet the farm on Bridgewater…Bortles is another flavor of the month project and while I love Manziel – he will get crushed with his style….and is too short.

Sammy and then load up on badass OL in draft and FA over next year or 2…and get a better than avg qb that we can protect who can get the ball out.

Peace

12. magicmtndan says: Mar 17, 2014 4:42 PM

Teddy needed to “wow” the coaches and scouts at his pro day today and instead he “bow wowed” them.

Look out below – that’s Teddy Bridgewater falling in the draft!

13. DrSteveBrule says: Mar 17, 2014 4:45 PM

Poor guy might slip in the draft and go to good team.

14. lilpuppy says: Mar 17, 2014 4:47 PM

watched his pro day…any team who thinks he can help right away is fooling themselves.No equipment on , no pass rush and lineman in his face and his throws were off and weak..no arm strentgh nor accuracy..maybe in 3-4 years he will be good but no way is he first round material

15. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 17, 2014 5:02 PM

Bridgewater and Bortles are as bland as boiled potatoes. In a pot in the fridge.

16. handsatlanta says: Mar 17, 2014 5:05 PM

I wonder who taught him how to throw up that choke sign at his opponent at the end of his last bowl game.

17. ratbastardshanahandjob says: Mar 17, 2014 5:10 PM

Long suffering Raider fan. So I just know Reggie will draft this noodle arm, can’t throw on the run, gets nervous at his pro day Bust in waiting…..

I am gonna schedule a ER visit ahead of time for the aneurysm I will be having when his name is called…..

18. mogogo1 says: Mar 17, 2014 5:12 PM

I’m certainly not an NFL personnel director but Bridgewater reminds me of Geno Smith except he didn’t have quite as good a numbers and played worse competition. And Bortles didn’t exactly wow me any game I saw him.

Huge, gigantic, maybe-too-big-to-look-past question marks on Manziel but I’d give him a better chance of hitting it big over either of those guys.

19. kash71 says: Mar 17, 2014 5:13 PM

He may get picked in the 1st round because of a lot of teams are desperate.

Problem is this whole draft is lackluster when it comes to quarterbacks.

20. squishman says: Mar 17, 2014 5:16 PM

Today is not even talk like a pirate day.

21. r8rsfan says: Mar 17, 2014 5:17 PM

His quotes are like double-speak. And he looks 15 years old. Did he throw in a hoodie?

22. alphadux2u says: Mar 17, 2014 5:20 PM

Air

23. bamboozle99 says: Mar 17, 2014 5:27 PM

Ya’ all know what they say about having small hands…

24. vietnambob2473 says: Mar 17, 2014 5:37 PM

On a side note, Shaun King has turn into JaMarcus Russel without the height. Dude is huge

25. jagtiger says: Mar 17, 2014 5:45 PM

I’m no expert, but he shows me nothing!

26. 1509lucky says: Mar 17, 2014 5:51 PM

Gotta Love how you keyboard scouts instantly compare him to Geno Smith(sic) could you be more obvious? Anyone who’s ever seen this kid play can see that he’s the best pure Pocket Passer in the Draft.

27. upperdecker19 says: Mar 17, 2014 5:54 PM

Wearing a glove is never a bad move….

Regards,
    O.J.

28. donjuan1906 says: Mar 17, 2014 5:55 PM

I like Teddy B as a person – kid has outstanding character. He has a heck of a story.

But as a Cleveland Brown fan, I just think his frame and body is not built for the rigors of the AFC North.

We’ve had more quarterbacks knocked out of games by the Pittsburgh Steelers, than quarterbacks total during the NFL season.

I would rather the Browns take Watkins at #4, if he is available, than Teddy B if both are there.

29. whatjusthapped says: Mar 17, 2014 6:23 PM

If the guy is destined to be a bust like most people say, for sure the Vikings will draft him. After that, its as good as a guarantee that he will be a bust.

30. condor75 says: Mar 17, 2014 6:27 PM

watched his pro day…any team who thinks he can help right away is fooling themselves.No equipment on , no pass rush and lineman in his face and his throws were off and weak..no arm strength nor accuracy..maybe in 3-4 years he will be good but no way is he first round materialSo all those years at UL was strictly smoke and mirrors? love to see your “game” film, Johnny Puffball

31. realdealsteel says: Mar 17, 2014 6:28 PM

I believe what game films shows me. Not what a one day Pro work out shows me.

And what I see on game day is the most accurate QB in the draft.

Yeah, go ahead and let Bridgewater slide and the GM’s on teams that needed a QB in this draft will be fired in a three year period because of it.

32. gbpxlvi says: Mar 17, 2014 6:35 PM

Next Kordell Stewart you watch

33. 11inthebox says: Mar 17, 2014 6:47 PM

Wow. It seems like a lot of people here are hoping this kid will be a bust? Why is that? I mean, he didn’t rape anyone or do anything to shame his university. He’s been a good player and a good guy. But you people seem to really hate him.

34. raiderapologist says: Mar 17, 2014 7:04 PM

It’s a tough year for QB needy teams. Bortles scares me more than Bridgewater, and Manziel is scarier yet. It’s going to take stones to pass on some of the tackles or pass rushers available for any of those guys.

35. shlort says: Mar 17, 2014 7:29 PM

Drafting a QB is a coin flip wherever he is taken.

I have watched Bridgewater play and he is impresive on the field. It is college fotball though. The NFL is a different story and it is all about adjusting to the pro game.

Bridgewater will go early and he might be pushed too fast. If that happens, he needs to adjust quick or forever be ruined. That is how I have seen in play out many times.

36. 1509lucky says: Mar 17, 2014 7:44 PM

You know who had a GREAT Pro Day? JaMarcus Russell.

37. mattyork1972 says: Mar 17, 2014 7:51 PM

Teddy screams to me the second coming of Alkli Smith. Has anyone else noticed how skinny his legs are? Dude must not do any squats. Those calves are smallest I think I’ve ever seen on a football player.

38. canadianbucsfan says: Mar 17, 2014 8:01 PM

Watching his pro day live on NFL network, it was concerning to see how many throws were off target, and by a lot. Then when he got interviewed by Mayock and Warner, he said he thought he had a great day and was accurate.. very weird. I still think he’s the most NFL ready QB in this draft, but it goes to show how weak of a QB class this is overall. Hoping my bucs don’t plan on drafting any of these guys, hoping for either Mack or Watkins.

39. filthymcnasty1 says: Mar 17, 2014 8:11 PM

Aren’t the Vikings due to reach for another QB bust?

40. admiralgeneralaladeen says: Mar 17, 2014 8:18 PM

Hey everyone, nice job forming your opinions on him as a player after watching him at his pro day. Not like he played at a high level for the last 3 years, or reads defenses better than anyone in this draft. Nah, he had a bad pro day! Better not pick him before the 3rd round!

41. tjacks7 says: Mar 17, 2014 8:36 PM

This is music to my ears? Tape don’t lie. Bridgewater is leaps and bounds ahead of any QB in this class mentally. Only QB with complete responsibility at the line of scrimmage and presnap. Only QB that’s responsible for reading the entire field instead of half. Only QB to waive the punt team off the field while standing on his own 40 yard line. Wear the glove on game days. Hope he falls to number eight.

42. richardernsberger says: Mar 17, 2014 8:38 PM

Little Johnnie Football will be the biggest bust in this draft–no size, mediocre arm. He can run around a lot, but he won’t be a stout team like wilson.

43. steelerbrau says: Mar 17, 2014 9:38 PM

Ok Cyber Scouts LOL!!

Rogers 24th overall pic, yup Scouts nailed that one. Brady? Bullseye! Romo, undrafted. Kurt Warner? Hey let’s give the bag boy a shoot, what the hey!! Brees? Too short, weak arm.

I don’t think I need to go on…..

44. deflateddome says: Mar 17, 2014 10:05 PM

During the Combine he weighed 214, today he was 208, and Ross Tucker said he played as allow as 190 last year…

No way would I draft this guy…

45. irishfan82 says: Mar 17, 2014 10:40 PM

Hope he tanked the workout so he could fall to the Vikes. Basing everything on the pro day is just dumb. Jamarcus Russell was awesome in his pro day workout. How did that work out? Too much is put into measurables

46. okeedokeesmokee says: Mar 18, 2014 7:15 AM

Jags fans and team management are hoping for de/leo Khalil Mack wr-Sammy Watkins or dropping back into top ten 1st round and take qb-Johnny Manziel if hes still there if not the best skill player available. Rumor has it Jags owner is very interested in the Johnny Jaguar experiment, hince the comment a few months ago….”were def takin a qb in the draft maybe two!” Id like to see Johnny in a Jag uniform. See how lil spoiled rich kid likes playing for a losing franchise. Burst that ego bubble he has on his neck. Who knows maybe hes the love child of Fran Tarkenton and Brett Favre?.lol

47. 8to80texansblog says: Mar 18, 2014 12:14 PM

I’d take Johnny Football over all of em….

48. fmc651 says: Mar 18, 2014 10:37 PM

What had happened was… Teddy is this year’s TJack.

49. okemon says: Mar 19, 2014 9:49 PM