Owners may voluntarily participate in the league’s drug testing program

Drugs Getty Images

As NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell deals with the unprecedented (for him) issue of potentially imposing discipline on one of the 32 people who employ him, plenty of new things will be learned about the relationship between the league and those who own the teams that are the league.

For example, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells PFT that owners may voluntarily participate in the league’s drug testing program.

“I believe some do it,” Aiello added.

He explained that Goodell and NFL senior V.P. of labor law and policy Adolpho Birch voluntarily submit to the program “so that they know first-hand what the experience is for the players.”

Goodell recently acknowledged publicly that he’s tested; “I’m happy to say I’m clean,” he said.

Regardless of the number of owners who voluntarily submit to testing, maybe they all should.  If the picture painted by Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star regarding Colts owner Jim Irsay, mandatory drug testing could be the only thing to bust through the atmosphere of enabling that easily can emerge around a billionaire.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Owners may voluntarily participate in the league’s drug testing program”
  1. jaxbeachjagfan says: Mar 17, 2014 1:25 PM

I have way too much trouble believing Goodell’s or any other owner’s participation in testing resemble what players go through. No way some clerk is going to watch over Goodell’s or an owner’s shoulder to make sure they’re not cheating or show up unannounced with a cup in their hand.

C’mon now.

2. h8glazersgobucs says: Mar 17, 2014 1:35 PM

There is no way some of those Glazers are clean.

3. dedicatedhawkfan says: Mar 17, 2014 1:44 PM

It is voluntary? C’mon how many people, players, owners, coaches….HUMANS, will voluntarily take a drug test if they are doing drugs? Ridiculous

4. ken0west says: Mar 17, 2014 1:56 PM

I would love to know the pass/fail % of NFL ownership groups, including minority owners like children or whatever.

5. jchipwood says: Mar 17, 2014 2:09 PM

What happens if they fail? They going to kick them out of the league and theres no way they kick the team out. So it would be pointless.

6. mightyminer says: Mar 17, 2014 2:16 PM

Jerry Jones would fail b/c he’s obviously on SOMETHING.

7. daltonsdumptruck says: Mar 17, 2014 2:33 PM

I wonder if Ralph Wilson would fail

8. arrowdead says: Mar 17, 2014 2:46 PM

and if they fail? quite frankly if it was just weed i wouldn’t care; what billionaire wouldn’t want to get a little happy and watch his team from the best seat in the house….and count all the paid tickets too. seems they earned that.

9. 8to80texansblog says: Mar 17, 2014 2:49 PM

I still don’t understand why this is a bigger issue for Goodell than the Haslem issue?

10. blackqbwhiterb says: Mar 17, 2014 3:02 PM

I would never submit to the test as an owner-I’m clean, but I’d have to make a point- I’m the billionaire owner, I don’t work for Roger or any of the other bozos, they work for me, so yes, the rules for me ARE different.

Then again, I’m not an owner with a bazillion bucks, so I guess it’s just me pretending to know what I’d do if I was in that position……Like everyone else posting their brilliance on PFT

11. joe400e says: Mar 17, 2014 3:32 PM

So Goodell is going to suspend or take some kind of disciplinary action against one of the people that just gave him 44M? Yeah right!

12. atthemurph says: Mar 17, 2014 3:50 PM

This Packers owner ain’t volunteering for nothing!

13. vegasjss says: Mar 17, 2014 4:08 PM

Let’s round up all the Packer’s owners and see what’s what!

14. ghostrider25 says: Mar 17, 2014 4:27 PM

Test him again. It’s pretty clear that Goodell has been roiding.