Eric Winston: No 18-game season on my watch

ericwinston AP

Shortly after he was elected president of the players’ union, Eric Winston made clear that he’ll never accept an 18-game season.

Asked about expanding the schedule from 16 games to 18 games, Winston said that isn’t even something the NFL Players Association is willing to entertain.

“I can tell you 16 to 18’s dead in the water. I won’t let it happen. I don’t think any of these other guys are going to let it happen. It’s a safety issue,” Winston told USA Today.

Under the old Collective Bargaining Agreement, the owners had the unilateral authority to expand the regular season without the players’ consent. But under the new CBA established after the lockout of 2011, the players won the authority to reject any expansion of the regular season. And the players plan to exercise that.

The owners, however, are widely expected to expand the playoffs following the 2015 regular season, and Winston indicated that the players can accept that. If the NFL is going to add games, it’s going to add two playoff games. Not 32 regular-season games.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Eric Winston: No 18-game season on my watch”
  1. phillyshouldsignmaclin says: Mar 20, 2014 6:28 AM

NFL can return to two byes per season to nearly accomplish their same goal.

2. deanvernonwormer says: Mar 20, 2014 6:35 AM

Every season this becomes a faster, more dangerous and violent game (which is why we love it). 16 games is enough. We just need the teams to stop ripping off the season ticket holders by forcing them to purchase the garbage meaningless pre season games like the NY Jets and Giants do.

3. saintsfan26 says: Mar 20, 2014 6:47 AM

Read my lips, no new games.

4. gbp4ever says: Mar 20, 2014 6:52 AM

Of course they will accept expanded playoffs because that puts more money into the players pockets but expanded regular season does not so they won’t agree to it. It’s not about safety it’s all about money.

5. tatatoothy says: Mar 20, 2014 7:26 AM

Winston and Goodell should fight it out in a cage match … winner becomes commissioner.

6. pleasefiregoodell says: Mar 20, 2014 8:29 AM

I like this Winston guy. I like anyone who stands up to Goodell

7. johnnycash19 says: Mar 20, 2014 9:28 AM

I like this guy.

8. mikesonline says: Mar 20, 2014 10:08 AM

They should eliminate 2 of the preseason games!

9. 90lions81 says: Mar 20, 2014 10:25 AM

If you like your 16 game schedule, you can keep it.

10. eagles512 says: Mar 20, 2014 10:56 AM

Good to hear

11. granadafan says: Mar 20, 2014 11:40 AM

Good for you, Winston!

12. upperdecker19 says: Mar 20, 2014 12:09 PM

Eliminate the stupid London games and you have my vote for man of the year

13. stanmrak says: Mar 20, 2014 12:52 PM

Expanding playoffs means that the regular season is even more meaningless, which it already is anyway. When you can lose 6 times and still make the super bowl? The reg season is the new exhibition season.

It’s all about the money.

14. penvik says: Mar 20, 2014 1:38 PM

More football can’t be a bad thing. I wish they wouldn’t bring up safety issues, give me a break. Football is game where guys get hurt, it’s going to happen. 16 games is hardly enough for a major sport. Hockey plays 82 games and I would argue that it’s just as tough as football. Expand the playoffs and add more regular season games. Lost all credit for Winston after this nonsense. Leave us fans, who pay out the hoop year after year and watch guys pull in multimillions to play only 16 games?? I feel robbed of half a season. NFL should start in late July early august. I would stop at 18 games, should be more like 20 games, and 2 preseason games. That would be nothing but a success for fans of football. If you guys don’t want this to happen then your obviously not very big football fans.

15. penvik says: Mar 20, 2014 1:44 PM

It’s all about getting into the dance. Teams will have ups and downs during a season and shouldn’t be punished by bit having enough games to fix the issues. Or looking at it the other way, I’ve seen teams start the season hot and it’s enough to make the playoffs, when they have no business being there. Another four game set would allow those teams that deserve to get in to make it. More is ALWAYS better.

16. allidoiswin55 says: Mar 20, 2014 3:33 PM

Knowing a few friends who are in the league the universal outlook on expansion is that it provides extremely more risk compared to reward . Most of them see this as the nfl attempting a money grab and that money doesn’t trickle down to the players . Adding games to them is completely against the stance of making the game safer . It shows the hypocrisy of what they are saying publicly .

How can you endanger players with kickoff and helmet shots amongst other things the NFL is claiming but they want to march those same players out their for more contact ..