Veldheer disputes McKenzie’s claim he didn’t want to be a Raider

Jared Veldheer AP

Raiders General Manager Reggie McKenzie was stung by the decision of left tackle Jared Veldheer to leave in free agency, saying: “The kid didn’t want to play for the Raiders anymore, and I struggled with that.”

Veldheer, as you might imagine, had a different version of events.

“I appreciate everything that Oakland did for me over the last four years, we just couldn’t get [a contract] done,” the now-Cardinals left tackle told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. “It wasn’t that I didn’t want to be there, because I know that’s been said recently. That just wasn’t the case. Things were unable to get done at the table and that led to free agency and now I looking forward to Arizona and looking to what the future has here.”

Veldheer also said things started moving quickly when Cardinals G.M. Steve Keim started the process of pursuing him.

The team’s better, the stadium’s nicer, and even though the Cardinals aren’t a model of traditional stability, they’re moving in the right direction at the moment.

So to be honest, it’s hard to figure why Veldheer’s fighting it.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Veldheer disputes McKenzie’s claim he didn’t want to be a Raider”
  1. nflfolly says: Mar 26, 2014 8:54 PM

McKenzie is full of it. He will fired soon and thank god.

2. barsfordays says: Mar 26, 2014 8:54 PM

Oakland would make a big mistake by trading/cutting Terrelle Pryor.

3. astrategyexpert says: Mar 26, 2014 8:55 PM

The GM shouldn’t be admitting that he struggled with the fact that this guy didn’t want to be on his team. You need to keep your weaknesses hidden. Other GM’s will know your weaknesses and target them and use them to your advantage.

4. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 26, 2014 9:02 PM

This is exactly what I said yesterday, that I called BS on Reggie cause I think he just didn’t have the pitch to sell him on wanting to be a Raider. He was making an excuse for why he wasn’t able to make the sale.

5. meatcarroll says: Mar 26, 2014 9:33 PM

I feel bad for Raiders fans.

6. raidersfourlife says: Mar 26, 2014 9:39 PM

Nothing to worry about with him on the Cardinals. Raiders picked up a better LT anyway. JV is a good tackle so he will definitely improve Carson Palmers time in the pocket, but Palmer throws too the wrong team most of the time anyways so it doesn’t matter.

7. misterdreamer119 says: Mar 26, 2014 11:46 PM

Jedi minds tricks.

8. azjam says: Mar 27, 2014 8:04 AM

Reggie is trying to save face. He blew it.

9. MDRaider says: Mar 27, 2014 8:09 AM

I don’t doubt that JVD wanted to stay in Oakland. However his agent might be another matter…

10. crewchief15 says: Mar 27, 2014 8:47 AM

He would be a Brown if the money was right, but really, if the money is equal I’d leave Oakland for Glendale any day. Isn’t CA one of the most taxed states, and he can buy 5x the house in AZ as CA, smart move.

11. MostlyRight says: Mar 27, 2014 10:11 AM

Leaving Oakland for AZ was pretty much a no brainer. Veldheer’s agent mentioned salary being equal playing in CA would cost a half million more in taxes and cost of living. Plus…Oakland.

12. cjas9298 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:00 PM

McKenie’s comments were unprofessional–dumb to open this discussion.

13. badmoonrison says: Mar 27, 2014 2:06 PM

Veldeer has been known to get injured regularly. His upside isnt all that.

14. rajbais says: Mar 27, 2014 2:37 PM

Reggie McKenzie found talent in the past but he’s bad at business.

He’s no Thomas Dimitroff.

15. 1madr8r says: Mar 27, 2014 4:04 PM

——
    I’d rather rent a 2 bedroom tool shed in Cali, then live anywhere near the 7th circle of hell, that is AZ…9 months out of the year!

16. raidermick3sb3rings says: Mar 27, 2014 4:05 PM

Wait a minute!!

How did Veldheer achieve the tag “raiders best player”… the guy missed the first nine weeks of the past season and quite frankly, we were better with out him. We lost 6 in a row when he returned.

People will say to me, “But Mick, he was a young 26 year old with a bright future.”

here’s a fact…there is another 26 year old on the Raiders who is way more talented, valuable and dedicated than Veldheer…His name is Darren McFadden!

Now you want to tell me Veldheer is better than DMAC?

LMFAO!!

Late..

17. redbirdsrising says: Mar 27, 2014 6:06 PM

“And to be frank, even if the money was equal, it’s hard to argue that being a Raider is a better deal than being a Cardinal in any respect.”

As a Cardinals fan, this made me smile.

18. charger383 says: Mar 27, 2014 9:46 PM