Johnny Manziel at Pro Day: “I can make any throw”

manziel AP

Former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel threw the ball well at his Pro Day workout today, and he said afterward that he believes he proved he can make every throw an NFL quarterback needs to make.

“I can make any throw on the field and hopefully compete with anybody,” Manziel said on NFL Network.

Manziel did his Pro Day work in a helmet and shoulder pads, a rare choice that may have had something to do with the fact that Nike has just unveiled a new line of Manziel Pro Day apparel. But Manziel said the only business he’s thinking about is playing quarterback, and he hopes NFL coaches know that about him.

“I just wanted these guys to know that my focus is football. This is my life, this is what I want to do, and I’ve never been more dedicated or more committed in my entire life. I understand the challenge,” Manziel said.

Manziel isn’t the prototypical NFL pocket passer, but some NFL team is likely convinced that he can make every throw, and in May he’s likely to be a first-round draft pick, anointed some team’s franchise quarterback.

Permalink 91 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
91 Responses to “Johnny Manziel at Pro Day: “I can make any throw””
  1. baltimorons says: Mar 27, 2014 12:58 PM

2. goldrush49ers says: Mar 27, 2014 1:01 PM

“I can make every throw a QB in the NFL needs to make too.”

~ Tim Tebow
    ~ Jamarcus Russell
    ~ Ryan Leaf

3. glennsyank13 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:01 PM

“Don’t care what the pundits say….he’ll be a good one. You can’t underestimate the value of the “it” factor.”

What it factor did he have this year in leading his team?

4. seabrawk12 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:04 PM

Okay, I MIGHT take him as a backup QB in fantasy. Perhaps a 16th or 17th rounder. Whether you like the guy or not, he’s got everyone curious.

5. whosgotitbetterthanruss says: Mar 27, 2014 1:04 PM

Johnny is a winner. He’d make a great third-stringer on my Hawks. We’ll nab him if the nay-sayers pass on a great prospect.

Go hawks.

#DYNASTY

6. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Mar 27, 2014 1:05 PM

If the Vikings could trade down from 8 to around 18 and pick up an extra 2nd-round pick, I’d love to take him if he’s still there.

7. macneil4025 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:05 PM

Please be there when the Vikings pick!! Skol Vikes

8. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 27, 2014 1:05 PM

He looked really good and had a really solid interview. I’m pretty sure this is the guy that Josh Gordon has been talking to Ray Farmer about. Nice try keeping that one a secret. If you want Manziel then you have to trade ahead of the Browns.

9. detectivejimmymcnulty says: Mar 27, 2014 1:05 PM

I think his handsize is as important as his height. He has big hands which allows him to grip the football well.

This is tbe first pro day I’ve ever watched. It’s easy to see how you can fall in love with a quarterback from just watching the workout. He made great throws on deep balls and had a lot of zip on his passes, but then you remember the setting he was throwing in.

10. coonsqualler says: Mar 27, 2014 1:06 PM

I will buy this guys jersey. As long as it’s not a Pittspuke or Ratbird!!!!! :-)

Just Sayin’…Go Brownies!!

11. bucrightoff says: Mar 27, 2014 1:06 PM

Ahh the old “it” factor. How did that work out for Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow?

12. broncfanor says: Mar 27, 2014 1:07 PM

He’s the next Tebow, overhyped and overrated.

13. drgreenstreak says: Mar 27, 2014 1:08 PM

A N D . . . . . he wears pull-ups!

14. deflateddome says: Mar 27, 2014 1:08 PM

To be successful in the NFL as a QB, you have to be disciplined in the pocket. He will find a little harder to bail and run after the first read in the NFL. It might work for a while, but the defensive film will tell the tale eventually…

And at 207 pounds, he will get creamed. RG is 215 and look how he is ragdolled…Bridgewater is too small too

15. billco6192013 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:08 PM

Giants need to take this guy to start grooming him behind eli

16. drgreenstreak says: Mar 27, 2014 1:09 PM

Johnny is the most obnoxious human in any social setting…

17. God Waves His Terrible Towel™ says: Mar 27, 2014 1:12 PM

He’s nothing like Tebow.

18. tvjules says: Mar 27, 2014 1:12 PM

Can he make any throw after he runs out of the pocket and gets nailed by, oh, let’s say Robert Mathis?

19. camdenyard says: Mar 27, 2014 1:14 PM

…said every quarterback that ever played.

Even when they can’t.

20. radrntn says: Mar 27, 2014 1:15 PM

all you have to do is watch both games vs alabama in 2012, and 2013….he threw for 5 tds, and 464 yards in one of those, and 253 , and 2 tds in the other won that he won. he rushed for over 90 yards in both of those games as well, against the #1 d . Say what you want but the kid is a play maker.

21. qdog112 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:16 PM

The GM who risks a 1st round pick for Johnny Wildcat must have a death wish. Not a safe pick at any round, but one you can’t pass up in the 3rd or 4th.

When asked about his bad game against LSU, Johnny said “I don’t have any excuses” and the next thing out of his mouth was, you guessed it, an excuse about the weather. But then he repeated, I don’t make excuses, all while making an excuse.

I watched Johnny throw and he hit his receivers in stride on his short passes on sprint outs. He threw deep, letting his receivers run under the ball, which is easy, when your guy just has to catch a “fly ball” with no defender. I can’t understand why Warner and Mayock were so impressed with an uncontested deep ball, but they were.

They were also impressed with arm strength. The pass Johnny avoided, is the intermediate 20 yard throws, that require arm strength and accuracy. What Johhny lacks in skill, he more than makes up for in his confidence.

He’d be a great salesman, something he may be better at than an NFL QB.

22. uglydingo says: Mar 27, 2014 1:18 PM

He just needs to improve his self confidence.

23. grogansheroes says: Mar 27, 2014 1:18 PM

He may be able to make any throw, BUT, can he make every read? I think not. If he goes to a good team, he has a chance. If he goes to Cleveland, he will be an epic fail, as are all QB’s that go there.

24. jacunn2000 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:19 PM

I want this guy on my team.

25. aaronfraudgers says: Mar 27, 2014 1:20 PM

“He has the it factor” = “I have no clue how to evaluate QBs, so I’ll just assume it’s his personality”

26. tennesseeoilers says: Mar 27, 2014 1:22 PM

“I can make any throw on the field.”

Why do so many aspiring NFL QBs (and their fans) continue to throw this out like it merits high praise or confidence? Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young and countless other failures could accurately make this claim. This ability doesn’t set you apart from any other franchise QBs or even most standard starting QBs.

As a Titans fan, I’ve always appreciated how Jake Locker downplays the importance this badge (which scouts and his fans have long pinned on him). It means jack. Jake knows that to be successful, he will have to continue growing in his accuracy, decision making (including daringly risking his body), and knowledge of the game.

27. icematrix69 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:23 PM

Reminds me of another Texas QB with the “it” factor. Ironically, that QB was also drafted by the Browns and hailed as the savior by the fans…. ;)

28. greenbleeder says: Mar 27, 2014 1:23 PM

Hey Foles, don’t be surprised to see him join the Birds at 22.

29. packfanaj12 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:23 PM

The Diva of the draft, the ones that talk big never seem to live up to their draft pick.

30. craniator says: Mar 27, 2014 1:23 PM

Never underestimate anybody who’s from the state of Texas.

31. holdsteady76 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:24 PM

That’s nice John but how well do you do calling your own protections, reading defenses, and getting through your progressions? This attitude of yours, do you think it translates to that character it takes to be a leader of men?

32. goldrush49ers says: Mar 27, 2014 1:27 PM

“Of course I can make every throw. My best receiver is the turf!”

33. realdealsteel says: Mar 27, 2014 1:34 PM

Whoever drafts him and thinks he’s a starter, I can immediately put an “X” through that team in regards to competing for a Super Bowl anytime soon. So please draft him high.

34. fleaman1381 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:37 PM

Manziel is wild card, in my opinion. I really don’t know if he will be any good or not. But I can’t deny the fact he carried that A&M team. He put up good numbers both years, but noticeably threw better and ran less in year 2. I’d personally like to see him play one more year in college, but I don’t blame him for going pro now.

I just hope this maturity and focus thing he’s showing right now isn’t what I truly believe it to be… an act to get drafted higher.

35. j0esixpack says: Mar 27, 2014 1:38 PM

I’m sure he CAN make every throw.

Now he just needs to go up against an NFL team with a DL that averages 5 foot 9

36. nflcommissioner says: Mar 27, 2014 1:40 PM

Nothing wrong with confidence as long as you can back it up. Good luck to the next Joe Namath.

37. ecupatsfan12 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:40 PM

I watched the pro day. He threw the ball very well, he has a very good arm. Much stronger than I anticipated, and throws the ball with good torque and spin and patterns. I dont put too much stock in pro days- but he looked a 100x better than Bridgewater. If I have to take a QB- I take him. Bortles is very very inconsistent and had one standout year. He seems to be attempting to mature and be a professional- and if his heart is in the right place than he will be a heck of a QB. If he wants to be like Stafford and drink on boats and do kegstands- he’ll flame out. The only person that will be responsible for Johnny’s success of lack of success in the NFL is himself.

38. kastout11 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:41 PM

Being able to make any throw will not prevent him from getting injured when he leaves the pocket trying to make a play. RG III is bigger and faster then him, and look what happened to him. I don’t think he will ever get back to the level he was at before the injury. Bottom line, he is too small and will get crushed.

39. bobzilla1001 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:42 PM

This is the time of year when high-profile, ESPN-hyped college QBs become street-corner panhandlers: begging for rich contracts…
    Here’s all you need to know about Johnny Manziel: Skip Bayless is his most ardent and vocal fan.
    Skip was so right about Vince Young and Tim Tebow…

40. realfootballfan says: Mar 27, 2014 1:43 PM

I don’t get why people root so hard against these players before they play a down. In this new flag football version of the NFL, he has a chance. Would I take him in the first round, no, but Blaine freaking Gabbert was heralded as a first pick a couple of years ago.

41. billco6192013 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:43 PM

jonny football and victor cruz together wow

42. chillyball says: Mar 27, 2014 1:43 PM

Vikings pick up Johnny Football, he goes on to a 24 year career, breaking a ton of records, including many Favre longevity records, and has a career 550 touchdowns thrown.

43. goldrush49ers says: Mar 27, 2014 1:45 PM

It looks great in a controlled environment throwing to people he’s practiced the exact routes with hundreds of times. Let’s see him go again DB’s who are taller than him and faster than him. Let’s see him try to out run a DL who weights 100 pounds more than him and can run just as fast.

44. tved12 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:46 PM

What I see here on the forums is if you don’t like him, pro days are worthless.

If you do like him, his pro day was amazing.

45. pacodawg says: Mar 27, 2014 1:47 PM

Throw a dart, nobody knows. I suck at projecting football players. This peanut gallery does too.

46. corkspop says: Mar 27, 2014 1:47 PM

He’ll be a winner. I bet the Cowboys trade up to get him.

47. ghost26 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:48 PM

I can’t wait to see this kid get pounded in the NFL. He better hope he slides to the bottom of the first round b/c if he goes to a bad team he’s going to get killed.

48. natepalmer1 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:58 PM

Easy to say when you don’t have and NFL defense coming at you…

49. r8rsfan says: Mar 27, 2014 1:59 PM

If a team has 2 1st rounders (Hello Cleveland) and you really like Manziel, do you consider taking Mike Evans with the other pick? The 2 of them are dynamic together.

50. mnsadsportsfan says: Mar 27, 2014 2:01 PM

What comedy. I can’t believe all of the hype. Now if he does the pistol celebration move and it is at all in the direction of bush sr. will the secret service storm the field?

51. ubepunkedagain says: Mar 27, 2014 2:03 PM

Maybe the Cowboys will trade their 2nd round pick and next years 1st and 2nd to move up to #4 for him.

52. theclink12 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:04 PM

“I can make any throw”

Duh

Somebody please name 1 potential NFL quarterback that hasn’t said this.

53. bearshaterseverywhere says: Mar 27, 2014 2:05 PM

incomplete sentence

…at the collegiate level.

Don’t write checks that you have zero experience at cashing, Tebow Jr.!

54. kev86 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:06 PM

Seems like a kid worth taking a chance on if you need a QB. I would be surprised if he gets past Cleveland at 4.

55. perspective2424 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:16 PM

Tim tebow had the “it factor” too.

56. sportsfan18 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:20 PM

glennsyank13 says:
    Mar 27, 2014 1:01 PM

What it factor did he have this year in leading his team?

57 129
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Not a Johnny fan, went to a Big Ten school and root for them, NOT the SEC.

But, you ask about his “it” factor.

Here are the points he and the Aggies scored by game this past season…

So, two clunkers. One loss was bad, to LSU.

3 of the other 4 losses were by 7 points, 4 points and 7 points.

The Aggies had NO defense this past season.

The team, everyone knew it was on Johnny and the offense to score enough to win.

Even in three of their losses, it was close, exciting and he lead them to a lot of points.

I’d say he did OK leading them and he had a lot of swagger and “it” factor when he played, when they had the ball etc…

57. raiderufan says: Mar 27, 2014 2:21 PM

One thing you can’t see in a pro day is pocket presence and Mr. Football has literally none. He makes Romo look like Montana.

Just look at the “great play” from this years bowl game….literally none of what he did needed to happen. None of it. He should have stepped into the pocket (like he’ll have to in the NFL) and uncorked a pass to the WIDE OPEN wr in the back of the end zone….instead he leaves a perfectly clean pocket, jumps into the back of linemen, lands on his feet and throws it to the guy that was open the whole time anyway.

He would be laid out flat on the field pulling anything close to that in the NFL…and that’s far from the only example.

58. drsummeroff says: Mar 27, 2014 2:25 PM

“whosgotitbetterthanruss says: Mar 27, 2014 1:04 PM

Go hawks.

#DYNASTY”
    ————————————————-

Nothing worse than a big headed SeaHawks fan. Things were so much better when Rick Mirer was there and we didn’t have to hear from them.

59. pantherfan40 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:28 PM

Johnny boy did great hes deff underated

60. bullcharger says: Mar 27, 2014 2:34 PM

bucrightoff says:Mar 27, 2014 1:06 PM

Ahh the old “it” factor. How did that work out for Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow?

—————-

Sanchez went to back to back AFC championship games. That’s not such a bad career. Tebow couldn’t throw at all. Never had any accuracy at all.

Manziel is an actual good player. He throws well on the run and has great accuracy. Those are two important points for an NFL QB that none of the flops really ever had. He also runs well, but I think he’ll be dead if he does that in the NFL. He needs to work in and around the pocket and run for first downs and slide or go to the sideline like Wilson. Then his speed will be an advantage. I think he has a great chance.

61. jpiro says: Mar 27, 2014 2:34 PM

He’s a lot more like Mike Vick than he is like Tim Tebow…except that Vick was better at everything than Johnny is.

Slightly taller, MUCH quicker, MUCH faster top-end speed, MUCH stronger arm.

Manziel is destined to fail in the NFL. (So I guess he does have that in common with Tebow.)

62. trollaikman8 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:41 PM

“….clear over them hills”

He just lacks confidence.

63. thefox61 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:43 PM

But can he read an NFL defense?

64. tennesseeoilers says: Mar 27, 2014 2:46 PM

Amusing to see people compare Tebow to Manziel. They couldn’t be more different. One was a pure leadership/high character/disciplined player with extremely limited QB skills and the other has natural QB talent out the wazoo but is vacuous when it comes to leadership, character and discipline.

65. 8to80texansblog says: Mar 27, 2014 2:48 PM

j0esixpack says:
    Mar 27, 2014 1:38 PM

I’m sure he CAN make every throw.

Now he just needs to go up against an NFL team with a DL that averages 5 foot 9
    ___________________________

That is a great point… I mean going against the midgets they call D Lineman in the SEC each week has no where near prepared him to deal with NFL sized lineman…. :rolleyes:

There are definitely arguments as to why Manziel might fail…. mechanics, attitude, reading defenses, but tall lineman in the NFL shouldn’t be one of them.

66. crewchief15 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:49 PM

I use to live in Seattle and some what rooted for them last year, but after winning “1″ SB they talk like they’ve won 5 or 6. As much as I do not like the niners, I think their a better team. I even think AZ could give them trouble next year.

67. ericintheburgh says: Mar 27, 2014 2:50 PM

Whatever team drafts this bum will make the biggest mistake in the draft! Hope the Browns draft him though so their pathetic franchise remains irrelevant for another 5 years. He’ll be hurt before the halfway point

68. mightyminer says: Mar 27, 2014 2:58 PM

It’s easy to look good, scoring 6TDs when you’re playing…UTEP.

69. brgndyngold says: Mar 27, 2014 3:00 PM

-Johnny Football just improved his stock. The GM who doesn’t pick Manziel will most def regret it.

-The reason Warner and Mayock were so impressed (if you were watching) is bcs unlike the other QB pro days they’ve witnessed this spring, Johnny was the only one in full armor to include rib guards (which he never wears but realizes he’ll more than likely need in the NFL) to show realistic throwing capabilities and performed far better than Bridgewater and Bortles.

-Not sure you really watched his pro day at all. He threw plenty of “intermediate 20 yrd throws,” to include side line throws and across the middle. He’s confident because he IS skilled. The ONLY thing he lacks is size, but that’s never been a problem for Drew Brees or Russel Wilson.

He’d be a great salesman, something he may be better at than an NFL QB.
    -You shouldn’t write anymore post. You make no sense. He’s an unproven QB in the NFL, but lets give the kid credit, he’s the best Quarterback in this draft.

70. bradkaz96 says: Mar 27, 2014 3:03 PM

I love how we’re this close to the draft and nobody knows if he will go 1st overall or drop back into the 3rd round.

Like him or not, the last QB that had this kind number of questions around him going into the draft was Tebow. Im not saying they are similar, in fact one could argue they are opposites in both personality and playstyle but you have to love the drama and hype involved. The NFL is one of the biggest crap chutes there is. Nobody truly knows whats going to happen.

They don’t call him Johnny ‘Football” for nothing. He will be just fine in the NFL provided he can stay healthy. That really is the only concern I would have.

71. vikingworldorder says: Mar 27, 2014 3:12 PM

Minimum 3 Super Bowl rings before this man retires

72. discountdoublecheck says: Mar 27, 2014 3:28 PM

baltimorons says: Mar 27, 2014 12:58 PM

Don’t care what the pundits say….he’ll be a good one.
    =================================

Well I’m convinced.

73. discountdoublecheck says: Mar 27, 2014 3:30 PM

crewchief15 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:49 PM

==================================

What in the hell does this have to do with this article?

74. skololvikings says: Mar 27, 2014 3:30 PM

bullcharger says: Mar 27, 2014 2:34 PM
    —————–

——————

Where exactly do you get that Manziel has “great accuracy?” Scouts have generally rated his accuracy as “mediocre.”

Tebow’s accuracy in college was pretty much exactly as good as Manziel’s. I believe Tebow has the second highest career passer rating in the history of the NCAA, and the highest of all time in the SEC. And then he got to the NFL, and everyone could see that he didn’t have what it takes to make it outside of college.

Manziel is Tebow 2.0. Inaccurate passer, can’t read defenses or go through progressions, his instinct to run kicks in even before he is under real pressure,….. and with the added bonuses that he doesn’t have Tebow’s size to take the pounding that comes with his style of play, and throws Farve-level, inexplicable interceptions..

The fact that the Vikings apparently love Manziel should tell you everything you need to know.

75. leagueobservr says: Mar 27, 2014 3:32 PM

trollaikman8 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:41 PM

“….clear over them hills”

He just lacks confidence.

LOL! +1 :-D

76. qdog112 says: Mar 27, 2014 3:32 PM

Hey, brgndyngold I did watch his entire display today and I was fair in my assessment. I gave him credit when warranted.

Both Mayock and Kurt Warner agrees with me that he avoided 20 yard throws. Not sure what you were watching. That point was emphasized by both analysts.

Overall, his day was not bad, but the arm strength raved about, is debatable and I repeat, he is not NFL starter material. Johnny Wildcat is a sideshow, who will get a GM fired.

Floating uncontested deep balls against air, does not a QB make. You saw the game tape. His biggest plays were body twisting jump balls that were caught by one of the biggest and fastest WRs in the draft. Ask yourself this, who made who look good?(Evans or Wildcat Manziel)

77. broncfanor says: Mar 27, 2014 3:36 PM

Tebow, Tebow, Tebow, ooops I mean Johnny, Johnny, Johnny.

78. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Mar 27, 2014 3:42 PM

He is “Jonny Football” and you better believe he can make every throw in full uniform too.

79. packersarethebest says: Mar 27, 2014 4:06 PM

Still a bust.

80. chillyball says: Mar 27, 2014 4:26 PM

We would have won State for sure if Coach had put me in.

81. deflateddome says: Mar 27, 2014 4:26 PM

He can make every throw?..OK Can he survive every hit at 207?

82. bigmarv77 says: Mar 27, 2014 4:29 PM

He threw no digs or deep comebacks…..both of these throws outside the numbers 25yards downfield is the test of arm strength….he did look good on the other throws…..wish he would have gone thru the entire route tree,

83. crewchief15 says: Mar 27, 2014 4:49 PM

discodoubledodo, I adding to a earlier comment from drsummeroff, what do you give a rats butt what I post. Did I step on a seachick claw?

84. sopadegato says: Mar 27, 2014 5:01 PM

I love how people keep using QB “busts” that have other problems (personal issues, drugs, a terrible team and no support, literally no weapons whatsoever) to compare Manziel against.

As far as Tebow, Tebow was never regarded in the same fashion as Manziel, and even his biggest supporter admits that he only worked in a system that catered to his strengths – not to a typical NFL offensive scheme. He also didn’t have Manziel’s drive to improve, as can be seen by comparing Tebow’s Combine performance – in which he showed a lot of improvement and adhering toward more “typical” style – and promptly backslid immediately afterward. Manziel can throw in the pocket as well as anyone, and his accuracy is just behind Bridgewater, even with the injury to his thumb this year.

A lot of Manziel’s insanity also has to do with the fact his team was regularly down by twenty or thirty at the least, and if he didn’t score every time A&M had the ball, they were going to job pretty hard. With the NFL this wouldn’t be so much of an issue, particularly in a team like Houston.

I’d also like to point out that the same pundits blasting Manziel also hailed Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, and Alex Smith as sure-fire stars. Yeah.

85. dolphanindallas says: Mar 27, 2014 5:23 PM

Pat White is sending his “Hello from Edmonton, It’s a beautiful place to play football once you get destroyed in the NFL” Postcard to Johnny today.

86. okeedokeesmokee says: Mar 27, 2014 5:41 PM

JAGUAR JOHNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!

87. trollaikman8 says: Mar 27, 2014 5:58 PM

Well it looks like ESPN-Disney/NFL Network have found their Tebow 2.0.

88. conormacleod says: Mar 27, 2014 6:00 PM

I just go against what the majority of rubes here think. It’s as close to a guarantee as I have found.

89. leevi98 says: Mar 27, 2014 6:24 PM

Dude is too small for the NFL in terms of his style of play. He is gonna get hurt.

90. leevi98 says: Mar 27, 2014 6:27 PM

Is it me or have the Seahawks fans become a bit obnoxious and talking a lot of junk since winning ONE Superbowl? Yes the Seahawks won one but where is all this dynasty talk from? Enjoy it while it lasts!

91. nomoreseasontix says: Mar 27, 2014 8:10 PM

The kid is growing on me. I like quarterbacks than can, you know, throw.
    They’re getting to be scarce. Everyone’s in love with quarterbacks who can run. Throwing is optional.