Josh Gordon is “pretty sure” Browns will draft a QB at No. 4

joshgordon AP

Browns General Manager Ray Farmer is keeping everyone guessing about whether Cleveland will take a quarterback with the fourth overall pick in the draft. But Browns receiver Josh Gordon says he has talked to Farmer and believes he knows what the team is doing.

“There’s no telling,” Gordon told ESPN. “I talked with Ray, I talked with [owner Jimmy Haslam]. The choice is really up in the air right now. I’m pretty sure it’s a quarterback and I just really can’t say which one. I’m not real sure.”

Gordon named two quarterbacks in particular that he thinks might be throwing him passes this year.

“There’s plenty of guys on the list right now,” Gordon said. “Blake Bortles is definitely one of those guys that just may do it for us. Teddy Bridgewater is a great talent. But there’s no telling.”

We’ll find out for sure six weeks from tonight.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Josh Gordon is “pretty sure” Browns will draft a QB at No. 4”
  1. primenumber19 says: Mar 27, 2014 12:12 PM

This is the nfl, so while fans and media appreciate him for his candor the org will prob sit him down and lecture him for talking out of turn.

2. cuttyplease says: Mar 27, 2014 12:16 PM

I am sure Farmer appreciates his comments…

3. lightcleric says: Mar 27, 2014 12:17 PM

If I’m a Browns fan I’m real happy he didn’t mention Manziel.

4. dtownsportslions says: Mar 27, 2014 12:20 PM

This guy is a stud. Cleveland is lucky Banner and Lombardi didn’t pull the trigger on trading him. That probably got them fired.

5. 80sbroncofan says: Mar 27, 2014 12:21 PM

I think they almost HAVE to draft a quarterback.

6. packfntk says: Mar 27, 2014 12:31 PM

If I owned a business and my employee was telling my competitors about a new product I was rolling out to get a competitive edge on them I would be upset.

7. coltzfan166 says: Mar 27, 2014 12:40 PM

I’m pretty sure he’s right.

8. nahcouldntbethat says: Mar 27, 2014 12:40 PM

Out of left field is out of left field.

9. donmcg2012 says: Mar 27, 2014 12:42 PM

Or they encouraged him to do so in order for the other teams to think Bortles and Bridgewater were their main choices.

10. brunmeister2013 says: Mar 27, 2014 12:46 PM

Looks like Watkins at #4.

11. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 27, 2014 12:46 PM

Well everybody assumes Clowney will be gone in the Top 3, and they have a ton of LBs and Joe Thomas so that cuts out chances for Mack or the top 2 OTs, so if they stay put it’s looking like Watkins if they don’t take a QB. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Gordon would rather have a QB than a WR, I can see why he would be leaning towards that. And Manziel had a pretty interesting Pro Day so he might not want to be too quick to count him out of the shout outs.

Or maybe he did that on purpose hoping to get other teams interested in non-Manziel QBs.

12. jaredl77 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:01 PM

Gordon is flat guessing. No way Ray Farmer is telling a 22 year old wide receiver his draft plans. Josh should be supporting Hoyer until a different starting qb is named.

13. imdey says: Mar 27, 2014 1:02 PM

When did he get promoted to the front office?

14. torpedo8 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:04 PM

Take whoever’s there at 4, if your QB is gone, take the best player on the board. I’d prefer an offensive guard or inside linebacker at that point, but I realize QB is a necessity. Don’t trade up at that point as you don’t want to lose any of the 10 picks because there are still a lot of holes to fill. If they can pick anyone else up at this point, great, but it looks like they’ve left the draft to find the QB (or maybe 2).

15. Big Ant TV says: Mar 27, 2014 1:05 PM

if its a QB i hope its bortles and not manziel or bridgewater

16. willycents says: Mar 27, 2014 1:05 PM

Not a browns fan, but, for all his bad points, it looks like at least Haslam wants to win and is willing to make an effort. Maybe the long run of sandness for the browns is slowly ending.

17. jcmeyer10 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:08 PM

And by pretty sure, he means they better draft a quarterback that can start this year.

18. fwippel says: Mar 27, 2014 1:19 PM

It’s Johnny Football!

19. pftbro says: Mar 27, 2014 1:19 PM

Sounds like he was well-coached by Farmer on what to say…

20. klabuckeye says: Mar 27, 2014 1:24 PM

If you think Gordon is doing this full day ESPN media tour without being prepped by Browns PR folks and maybe even Farmer himself what to comment on the draft, you’re crazy. All smoke.

21. bigblu73 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:27 PM

Blake Bortles = Blaine Gabbert 2.0
    It kinda makes me laugh when I see so many posters say that somehow Gordon is giving other teams “confidential information”!LOL He mentions that he “thinks”(speculation) the Browns will take a QB at 4. Ya think? They cut 2 of the 3 QB’s they had on the roster last season and the only QB they have under contract(Hoyer) has been a career back-up and is coming off a serious injury. I don’t think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that there is a good chance the Browns “May” take a QB with the 4 pick. Him stating that Bortles or Teddy B. “May” fit the bill, once again is not by any stretch of the imagination giving out any information that everybody else doesn’t already know is a consideration!!! Besides that, can anyone realistically picture any NFL team saying, “well the Browns want ‘XYZ’ we better jump on ‘XYZ’”? Because the Browns have been so prolific at assessing QB talent in the past!!!LMAO

22. chrisbermanpleasegoaway says: Mar 27, 2014 1:43 PM

Said the pot smokin’ cough syrup chuggin two strikes already WR.

23. chief0727 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:45 PM

I’m just glad he’s keeping busy doing interviews and not out violating the league’s substance abuse policy again.

24. darksidecowboy says: Mar 27, 2014 1:47 PM

Not a Browns fan, but would love to see Mr. Manziel come out guns a blazing with Gordon and Cameron and roll the AFC Central. That team needs some spark and Johnny Football will set the town ablaze!

25. dws123 says: Mar 27, 2014 1:50 PM

I could have misheard the comments, but I believe the context in his statement were based on personal preference – not necessarily what he expects the Browns to do.

26. goldrush49ers says: Mar 27, 2014 1:59 PM

“Pretty sure they will draft a QB” = “No QB? I’m taking my talents somewhere else!”

27. niko0063 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:05 PM

“Josh, we are planning on taking a QB at 4….pinky swear you wont tell anyone”

Yea, I’m sure that happened

28. believeland2014 says: Mar 27, 2014 2:11 PM

Manziel FTW!

29. rowdymon says: Mar 27, 2014 2:25 PM

WR/OL at 4 and then wait to see where Carr falls. If the Browns get a sense that someone is going to draft Carr ahead of them, they will trade picks to make sure they grab him.

30. youtubeingravenvids says: Mar 27, 2014 2:28 PM

darksidecowboy says:
    Mar 27, 2014 1:47 PM

————————————————————————-

Uhhhh AFC Central? Who’s in THAT division?

31. kosarkid says: Mar 27, 2014 2:32 PM

Because every teams Front Office is as perfectly honest with their players as possible. It’s going to be Mack @ #4 or they trade back.

32. Big Ant TV says: Mar 27, 2014 2:35 PM

so too the fellow commenters
    what makes Blake Bortles so bad not to go at 4 or 26 can somebody please enlighten me?
    from the clips and stuff i see of Bortles he has an NFL arm he’s tall,built like brickhouse and is underrated athlete & can run!!! so whats not too like bout him if he can get him the right protection and get weapons for him and quality depth i ask ya fellow NFL fans
    WHY NOT Blake Bortles at 4 or 26 for the Browns?

33. bohste says: Mar 27, 2014 2:47 PM

Quite honestly, I don’t think that Josh Gordon told the other teams anything. He just added to the confusion about which direct that Ray Farmer and the Browns were going to go. Besides, what GM is going to tell a player what their plans are? The first thing they’d do is tweet it to all their friends and teammates! With that being said, I think the Browns will draft a punter with the #4 pick!

34. davidgroberts86 says: Mar 27, 2014 3:12 PM

No need to worry Josh, He’s a Pro Bowler with Weeden!

35. thatstinks says: Mar 27, 2014 3:15 PM

” He’s pretty sure ” , ” Its up in the air ” , ” There’s no telling ” , ” I’m not real sure .” , There’s plenty of guys on the list .”

LOL . He said nothing . I love Josh Gordon . He won my fantasy league for me . But seriously….He said nothing .

36. sportsnut101 says: Mar 27, 2014 3:18 PM

im pretty sure they will only take johnny football or sammy watkins at 4
    then take a qb in 2nd rd theres plenty of qb depth

37. SAV says: Mar 27, 2014 3:18 PM

Top 5 picks, 4 of which will be quarterbacks

#1-Texans-Manziel
    #2-Rams-Clowney
    #3-Jags-Derek Carr
    #4-Browns-Teddy Bridgewater
    #5-Raiders-Blake Bortles

38. urbusted2 says: Mar 27, 2014 3:32 PM

I think Josh was dealing misinformation. He knows what he can say and can’t. I think they don’t take a QB until 26 at the earliest. I’ll be surprised if they don’t get more picks for the 4 spot. If they stay, it’ll be Watkins if he’s available.

39. nflsecurity862 says: Mar 27, 2014 4:22 PM

I love me a good smokescreen!

40. trezzyt says: Mar 27, 2014 4:36 PM

Josh Gordon is becoming the 3rd or 4th best wideout in the league
    1. Megatron
    2. A. Green
    3. J. Jones
    4. J. Gordon
    5. L. Fitz Idc about his numbers the guy can make any catch possible

41. bensstinkyfingers says: Mar 27, 2014 4:37 PM

The browns picked the best guy for smokescreening. There is no way Gordon is privy to any info on their draft board. Thye are fishing for a possible trade down, or wanna make sure Watkins is there at #4. My prediction like any other draft expert goes #4 – Watkins
    #26 – Carr
    #35 – Shazier
    Go Browns!!!

42. bigblu73 says: Mar 27, 2014 4:43 PM

Big Ant TV says:
    Mar 27, 2014 2:35 PM
    so too the fellow commenters
    WHY NOT Blake Bortles at 4 or 26 for the Browns?
    ————————————————————————————————————–
    Well for starters he is very raw, and he played in one of the weakest Conferences in College Football. He has only played against four ranked opponents these past two seasons. 50 percent of his career interceptions (9) have come in these four games. Showing that most of his “highlights” came against subpar opponents. On first down he completed 70.6 percent of his passes, 75 percent on second down, and 54.3 percent on third down. This reflects a drop of almost 20 percent from second to third down…Russell Wilson, in his lone season at Wisconsin, completed 71.7 percent on first down, 71.8 percent on second down, and 75.3 percent on third down. The great quarterbacks don’t have a significant drop in production and none of them were anywhere close to having a 50 percent completion rate on third down. Bortles’ numbers compare favorably to a couple of other former first round draft picks, Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker. In Gabbert’s final season at Missouri he completed 71 percent on first down, 68 percent on second down, and a dismal 44 percent on third down. In Locker’s final season at Washington, he completed 55 percent on first down, 62 percent on second down, and 51 percent on third down. So do you now see where I’m coming from? The Browns IMO would be much better off drafting a “talented gamer” like Manziel or a guy that produced consistantly over his career like Teddy B. JM2C

43. billsfanaddict says: Mar 27, 2014 4:55 PM

if Blake Bortles fell to #4 they should snatch him up immediately, unless somehow Clowney is there too, then in that case, they should trade down one spot with Oakland, just taking almost whatever extra theyll give ‘em by threatening to take Watkins.

44. avenger9800 says: Mar 27, 2014 5:33 PM

Why is everyone so down on Tanney? Because he didn’t come from one of the BIG time schools? Didn’t get drafted in the first round of the draft? The kid is 6’2″-220 with a great arm. And from what I hear, it was Ray that brought him in from Dallas. Alex, just because I always root for the underdog, I hope you get a fair shot at the starting job. Maybe because I always root for the dog, that’s why I’m a Browns fan!

45. footballtalk1 says: Mar 27, 2014 5:38 PM

With the 4th pick Cleveland selects Derek Carr Fresno State

46. huckleberry1110 says: Mar 27, 2014 9:04 PM

Sam Watkins. The best QB can be had in round 2.

47. oldcracker says: Mar 27, 2014 11:18 PM

I could see the Browns taking Manziel at #4 (although I hope not), and moving up enough to take his WR from T A&M…Evans (?), if he’s available.

Maybe take another QB in a later round to provide some competition and as a backup. (How many years did it take Rich Gannon and Steve Young to get their respective chance?)

I was hoping the Browns would’ve added some O-line help via FA so now, I assume it will have to be addressed in the draft.

48. supergeniusdude1 says: Mar 29, 2014 1:26 AM

The Browns are picking Jake Mathews first. Then the best receiver with the 2nd first round pick. All of the rest will be defense.