Vince Wilfork is happy again, after contract extension

Patriots Vince Wilfork shares a laugh with quarterback Tom Brady as they watch their team play the New York Giants Reuters

Maybe Vince Wilfork had to act mad to get happy.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the veteran defensive tackle has restructured his contract with the Patriots, which will now pay him $22.5 million over the next three years.

Wilfork tweeted out a conciliatory message moments ago, saying he was closer to his goal of retiring a Patriot.

It was a far cry from reports that he cleaned out his locker and tore down his nameplate recently, after asking for his release.

He was supposed to make $7.5 million this year, the last year of his contract. But the Patriots were likely hoping for less than that, since he’s 31 and coming off a torn Achilles. While the average suggests the same annual rate per year, it will certainly comes with a significant reduction in cap hit.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
50 Responses to “Vince Wilfork is happy again, after contract extension”
  1. logast says: Mar 27, 2014 5:39 PM

Awesome news!!! Very happy to see Big Vince stay a Patriot!

2. zombiepatriot says: Mar 27, 2014 5:40 PM

So they most likely lowered his number for salary cap reasons, spread out the charge over three years and if he doesn’t come back to form they can cut him without immediate dead money on the cap.

At least I can still wear my jersey!

3. grimreaper12 says: Mar 27, 2014 5:40 PM

Not sure how I feel about this.
    Vince has been a great Patriot, but he’s 31 coming off a serious injury. Still, even if he’s back to being 50% of what he use to it’s an upgrade on Chris Jones and Joey ” Ice skates ” Vellano.
    #gopats

4. thepftpoet says: Mar 27, 2014 5:41 PM

Vinc

5. thepftpoet says: Mar 27, 2014 5:41 PM

Spygate.
    Injury gate.

This franchise cheats as much as the PEDhawks.

6. doctorrustbelt says: Mar 27, 2014 5:42 PM

Great off-season theater by Vince Wilfork.

7. pone27 says: Mar 27, 2014 5:43 PM

As much as I was mentally prepared and thought Vince should go with his contract, I am honestly escatic that he stays.

8. sportsnut101 says: Mar 27, 2014 5:47 PM

Whats the guranteed money. This makes no sense pats asked for paycut n now will extend him hope he is getting more money guarantee

9. fissels says: Mar 27, 2014 5:47 PM

Now he has to step up and play

10. sportsnut101 says: Mar 27, 2014 5:49 PM

Reports are 3.5 only guranteed. Well I hope signing bonus is 10 mill otherwise he will be cut next yr

11. strokinmyego says: Mar 27, 2014 5:49 PM

Sentimentally it’s nice to have Vince Wilfork remaining a Patriot but in reality I’m not sure how much he has left in the tank and wouldn’t be surprised if he started to really decline this year.

I hope he can rebound but it shouldn’t stop the Patriots from drafting an interior lineman early this year. Maybe Armstead will be that missing piece though.

Since Belichick said “I think you should verify that” regarding Wilfork’s demand for release I wonder if he ever really demanded it at all. The Herald of course said he tore his nameplate down too but when is the Herald accurate about anything Patriots related anyways?

12. robert831 says: Mar 27, 2014 5:50 PM

LOL, Like I said numerous times and was crucified by Pats fans, they would be stupid to cut him. Pay the man, he is your best defensive player! Defensive fronts make good secondaries. Your team only goes as far as Vince on the defensive side of the ball.

13. spoilerfutbol says: Mar 27, 2014 5:51 PM

Only 3M in guaranteed money, great deal for both sides

14. Patskrieg dot com says: Mar 27, 2014 5:59 PM

Believe in the big man!

15. patriotslove12 says: Mar 27, 2014 6:00 PM

Welcome back big man, didn’t want to see you go! Now, I feel MUCH better about the pats’ defensive line this year, as long as we get at least one more, blue chip pass rusher before the season starts (I.e. a first or second round pick or through trade). It’s going to be an exciting season!

16. mikep363839 says: Mar 27, 2014 6:03 PM

That’s how you negotiate with class so many players take it personally big Vince called the bluff and said ok release me then… Not personal! Just negotiation!

17. objectivenflfan says: Mar 27, 2014 6:04 PM

Right. 2 weeks ago all Pats fans were like “Coming off an achilles, 33, sorry but this is the Patriot Way and Bill always makes the right decisions.”

On top of that, the whole “we won FA because of Revis” ???? What happens when he goes All-Pro this year (which he probably will) and he wants 17 million annually? Then who will have won FA? You also have to play 4 games w/o multi-suspended CB Browner, who is a good player but not close to great.

Also, how are you going to stop the run????

18. frankyvito says: Mar 27, 2014 6:08 PM

Contracts. In the NFL. Mean nothing.

19. sclazo says: Mar 27, 2014 6:13 PM

They are just going to trade you next season.

20. thealmightybigblue says: Mar 27, 2014 6:14 PM

Zero rings since spygate.

21. ravenswhat says: Mar 27, 2014 6:15 PM

In before the pats fans furiously backpedal on their dismissive statements on Vince.

22. patfanken says: Mar 27, 2014 6:16 PM

Or maybe, just maybe, Vince wasn’t upset at all and the entire thing was ANOTHER made up story by the Herald, which was pounced on by the rest of the mediots in the feeding frenzy. What a shock

23. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 27, 2014 6:19 PM

Glad to see big Vince back in the fold.

Now he’s really gotta go to work on his rehab if he wants to return to form. Not gonna be easy for a big man who put on extra weight like he did and he’s unlikely to be at full strength this year no matter what.

Hopefully he can manage not to re-injure the same leg and make it back to full form for the following season or if we’re lucky late this season.

24. beachsidejames says: Mar 27, 2014 6:19 PM

Coming off a torn achilles at 33 for a guy thats just under 1000 pounds sounds like a solid plan. He makes Shaq look line a runway bikini model. Better draft somebody at NT.

25. lovetbrady says: Mar 27, 2014 6:20 PM

This news makes me very happy.To all the nay Sayers about how effective he will be ,I’m pretty sure the Pats did their due diligence about his health.The man has only missed ahandful of games ( before last season) so let’s give him the be filet of the doubt. Frankly I am more concerned about Gronk being able to play through the season. Welcome home Big Vince,glad to see you are staying where you belong.

26. tindeaux says: Mar 27, 2014 6:22 PM

gotta keep the big guy happy.

27. patriotsarespygaters says: Mar 27, 2014 6:24 PM

Glad for Big vince to have the oppurtunity to retire as a patriot with Brady aswell…The Patriots are the most recent dynasty in The NFL…Spygate is way overrated and the haters know it…Haters are jealous because they wished their team could honestly say they can win the chip every year…..Brady is 40-11 vs NFC in his career 80% win pct

28. revren10 says: Mar 27, 2014 6:29 PM

Good to see Vince stay at least he didn’t go to a hopeless franchise like the Vikings. Now he can keep experiencing playoff football

29. surfinbird1 says: Mar 27, 2014 6:41 PM

Vince will never play like the old Vince. Hope he can stay healthy for 16 games and more but it would have been hard to replace his leadership/locker room presence.

30. bradygirl12 says: Mar 27, 2014 6:48 PM

I’m really glad to see this. Even though he’s 31 and a bit slower coming off a torn achilles,he is a great locker room presence and someone for the younger guys to learn from. I think he’s still got some gas left in the tank.

31. dwhcic says: Mar 27, 2014 6:50 PM

Glad to see he’s back. Tom and Gisele need another ring.

32. ijahru says: Mar 27, 2014 6:58 PM

The Patriots have a CAP issue with an aging cornerstone of their defense, Mr Kraft intervenes and Vince stays a Patriot. The Cowboys have a CAP issue with an aging cornerstone of their defense, Mr Jones intervenes and DeMarcus is a Bronco

33. igotgamenj says: Mar 27, 2014 6:58 PM

18-1

34. patsfan1820 says: Mar 27, 2014 6:58 PM

Didn’t think he’d do it. Nice to see him back but to be honest I want to see how much he has left before jumping up and down for joy.

35. jdphx says: Mar 27, 2014 7:03 PM

Don’t like the Pats.. but I DO like Vince Wilfork.

But Vince. You’ve GOTTA see this coming. NE gets
    you signed to a deal you will never be allowed to finish.

That’s today’s reality. Sad.

36. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 27, 2014 7:06 PM

Good job Vince. Just goes to show you that sometimes to get things done and succeed you have to huff and puff and shout at the top of your lungs. Some people just need to wake up and the volume control can in fact help with that if you use it tactfully.

37. shine94 says: Mar 27, 2014 7:23 PM

Wilfork wasn’t resigned JUST for his on field play … he has a huge influence on the sideline as well … what this team needs are veteran players to mentor the younger ones … even injured, Wilfork was on the sidelines talking to players

38. taintedsaints2009 says: Mar 27, 2014 7:32 PM

2014 AFC Championship: Denver @ New England.

39. tbmoe1 says: Mar 27, 2014 7:34 PM

Wonder what will happen if I clean out my desk at work and ask my boss for a raise. Maybe I should contact my agent….”honey, let me run something past you”. Lol

40. fdugrad says: Mar 27, 2014 7:35 PM

It is great to see one of the good guys have a favorable outcome. I still have NO idea how anyone as heavy as VW can come back from such an injury. I surely wish him well in his quest.

41. annes22 says: Mar 27, 2014 7:41 PM

I thought he cleaned his locker out, to leave the PATRIOTS.

42. Shinnbone says: Mar 27, 2014 8:32 PM

Every Deli owner in Boston just breathed a BIG sigh of relief.

43. ragnarthegreat says: Mar 27, 2014 8:57 PM

well after I bad mouthed the patriots for discarding people like trash, this happens. I guess I was full of it. Good move Patriots, he’s a solid player and a solid team mate. Glad I was wrong.

44. bigbamboom1 says: Mar 27, 2014 9:12 PM

Tremendous News! the anchor, soul and spirit of that defense is back. I bet Brady had a hidden hand in this. Because Big Vince is his defensive soul mate. And the friendship & respect between those 2 are thick. If the big guy can give us even situational play against guys like Peyton Manning, he will create the big push up the middle. The kind that stuffs runs and give Peyton and the like “happy feet”. And it will unleash those fast young linebackers and new ball sharks in the secondary. Great Stuff. This allows the Pats to go deep and long in the draft with linemen on both sides of the ball. The 2014 Patriots are shaping up to be ‘epic’ if they can avoid the catastrophic injury bug.

45. charliebarley72 says: Mar 27, 2014 9:20 PM

igotgamenj says:
    Mar 27, 2014 6:58 PM
    18-1

———————————

So, how many seasons did your team hit that mark?

46. drakost says: Mar 27, 2014 9:32 PM

ijahru says: Mar 27, 2014 6:58 PM

Thanks for reminding me. Is there any way a fan base can overthrow the owner of a team. Please?

47. chiadam says: Mar 27, 2014 10:20 PM

He’ll be cut after a year.

48. kurtg928 says: Mar 28, 2014 8:05 AM

signing bonus to cover his last year’s remaining $on old contract + incentives to pay him close to what he made before the injury (or even more!), low guaranteed/yearly salary, everybody wins. Low risk – Pats can cut him if he doesn’t perform with, spreads out the cap hit if he does, Vince can prove he can still dominate the front…solid restructure happy the captain is back at the helm.

49. weepingjebus says: Mar 28, 2014 12:16 PM

Called it. All those press articles about “drama” and “cleaning out his locker” were BS. Now you know why Belichick acts like a robot powered by sarcasm when he meets with the press.

50. nofaceangler718 says: Mar 28, 2014 1:50 PM

“After things came to a head, Patriots owner Robert Kraft stressed that he wanted to get things worked out, and apparently, he did.”

Kraft= class

unlike my jets

Woody Johnson=boring rich scum with no morals who is only after getting his name in the papers and knows nothing about the game!

gee I wonder why my jets are a joke and disgust me