Brandon Marshall has no intention to leave Chicago

2014 Pro Bowl Getty Images

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler got his long-term deal, then restructured it to make room for more help.

But those cap proceeds turned into defensive end Jared Allen, rather than an extension for wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

But Marshall’s not sweating, happy to enter the final year of his contract, with no plans to leave Chicago.

“I have another year left on my contract. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn’t, I’m glad to be a Bear for another year and I’m going to force them to sign me after next year,” Marshall told ESPN Chicago 1000. “One way or another, they’re going to get the deal done.

“But if it comes down to next year, I’ll be picketing outside of Halas Hall for a new deal, a new contract, because I’m not going anyplace.”

As well as he’s performed, he’s not looking for leverage, however, as he said repeatedly he didn’t want to leave.

“I’m not going anywhere, man,” Marshall said. “The guys that are out there now like Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald they’re making $16 million, $15 million a year, and I’m not looking for anything like that. A lot of that money goes to the quarterback position and rightfully so.

“For me, we do want to sign guys like Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston and we got Martellus [Bennett] last year and have Matt Forte. I do want to be in a good position, but at the same time I definitely am not trying to be in the $15 million range. I get a year to deal with that, and right now I’m focusing on how to be a better teammate. How can I grow as a receiver, as a man, as a leader on this team and also in the community. How can our foundation do bigger things? That stuff is going to take care of itself. We have all year to figure that out and I believe we’ll get it done before the end of the season and I’m going to be happy when we do. “

That sounds good to Bears fans, for sure, and Cutler. In fact, the only person that probably doesn’t want to hear it is his agent.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
44 Responses to “Brandon Marshall has no intention to leave Chicago”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 28, 2014 9:40 AM

That all sounds wonderful. Except for one thing…

“How can our foundation do bigger things? That stuff is going to take care of itself.”

2. wiskybuck says: Mar 28, 2014 9:40 AM

That’s very noble of a guy to stay committed to a team, rare now. Too bad he wants to remain on team in which he will never win a SB.

3. midwayroar54 says: Mar 28, 2014 9:40 AM

this is AWESOME to hear as a Bears fan! Im so happy Emery brought him in to reunite with Jay and after all hes been thru hes grown into the man we all hoped he could be…very classy Brandon, I am glad I bought your jersey as soon as I heard the news…should be a good year! BEAR DOWN!!

4. till3r says: Mar 28, 2014 9:41 AM

He said all the right thing right now, but I’m sure that will change when his contract is up. It will be most likely be his last chance at another large pay day and he will want to be paid. I give him some credit for sounding intelligent today. He must have taken his pills this morning.

5. thelastwordyaheard says: Mar 28, 2014 9:44 AM

he’s not going anywhere other than to the #2 WR on the Bears..

6. kc4life7 says: Mar 28, 2014 9:46 AM

I’m really impressed with this guy. Seems like he’s totally changed his attitude around. Makes me a Brandon Marshall fan now.

7. chaser44 says: Mar 28, 2014 9:49 AM

Brandon Marshall sounds like someone who has found peace in his life. What a transformation he has made, congrats

8. floratiotime says: Mar 28, 2014 9:49 AM

Wait till someone offers him a lot of money.

9. schmitty2 says: Mar 28, 2014 9:51 AM

Most people would agree to be skeptical about this. What he said is great but his career has been all about “him”. Athletes have proven time and time again that once they show excessive greed it never really goes away.

10. coachkilla6 says: Mar 28, 2014 9:58 AM

All the talent in the world can’t hide the fact that he beat up his girlfriend and his mother. Add to that the fact that he has never been on a team that’s made the playoffs. Never. Alshon is a better Bear than Marshall can ever hope to be. That’s not saying much. Bear Down? You bet they are.

11. favrewillplay4ever says: Mar 28, 2014 10:02 AM

Aw, how cute. Look at the wee little Lions fan up first ripping on the Bears.

Listen up son.. And that goes for you too, Vikes fans. This division has belonged to the Bears and Packers since before you were introduced to the world as failures some 50+ years ago and IT’S GOING TO STAY THAT WAY.

12. dlw492 says: Mar 28, 2014 10:04 AM

Remember when they thought he’d be dead by 30? Keep living Brandon, you’re doing amazing things. We miss you

Signed,
    Dolphins fan

13. ravenswhat says: Mar 28, 2014 10:06 AM

Until he does. These stories are always funny.

14. pkrlvr says: Mar 28, 2014 10:07 AM

Respect!

15. The Almighty Cabbage says: Mar 28, 2014 10:09 AM

as a Packer fan, I of course hate the Bears, and really hated Marshall’s attitude when they first brought him in. Over the years, though, those of us that closely follow the North division have seen him grow up.

At this stage, I think any team would do well to have him on the roster as there’s never been any denying his skills.

16. chi3454 says: Mar 28, 2014 10:10 AM

@ thestrategyexpert says: No Brandon, it will not. You need human beings that are capable of making the tough and smart decisions to do the bigger things. It will NOT take care of itself. That strategy has failed for a long time in Chicago now.

——————

I was listening to the interview – he was saying that he is focusing on his foundation because THAT is the priority.

The only thing he said would take care of itself is his contract situation. Becoming a better leader and a better person was what he was planning to work on.

17. bigernmccracken says: Mar 28, 2014 10:14 AM

I’m becoming a bigger believer in B Marsh every year. I say lock him up this season, then get to work on Jeffery’s contract next offseason. Phil Emery is doing an outstanding job thus far in his tenure.

18. thetruthcampaign says: Mar 28, 2014 10:19 AM

Rightfully so…to Cutler?? No.

19. thetruthcampaign says: Mar 28, 2014 10:21 AM

As a Lion’s fan, I fear the combination of Marshall and Jefferies, but somehow am comforted that Cutler is at the helm throwing to them. Anyway, we beat ‘em twice last year. I expect more of the same this year, but maybe a bigger margin of victory for us.

20. bbb82 says: Mar 28, 2014 10:22 AM

I have to say that I’ve been impressed with Brandon Marshall these past few years. It seems like he has really gotten his act together. Not even necessarily just the contract stuff, but he seems to have been a pretty good teammate as well.

21. intelligent cement says: Mar 28, 2014 10:23 AM

Beast.

22. ariani1985 says: Mar 28, 2014 10:31 AM

Hey Brandon, if clown music is your theme, green bay will be your team!

23. kchengher says: Mar 28, 2014 10:39 AM

Proud of Brandon, he’s come a long way. Been awesome being able to watch him for the past 2 years. Hopefully the bears and Marshall can come to a deal.

24. bearshaterseverywhere says: Mar 28, 2014 10:44 AM

thetruthcampaign says:
    Mar 28, 2014 10:21 AM

________________________________

The Lions barely beat the Bears twice last year with Collins, Melton, Williams, Tillman, Briggs all injured. The other thing you left out is that you still finished 3rd in the division behind the Bears and Packers (like every year)

Lions are 5-13 against the Bears since ’05, wake up dude!

Lions fans are hilarious!

25. motionaway says: Mar 28, 2014 10:44 AM

I hope Brandon downsides a bit and if he invest his money wisely he will be fine.

26. chicagosports2014 says: Mar 28, 2014 10:45 AM

Bet you fans would love die hard loyal players like Brandon Marshall, but your super star want that BIG guarantee million amount of dollars

27. grimreaper12 says: Mar 28, 2014 10:51 AM

Marshall should do the right thing and demand a trade, take a pay cut to play with the GOAT, Tom Brady.

28. blackandbluedivision says: Mar 28, 2014 10:58 AM

thetruthcampaign says:
    Mar 28, 2014 10:21 AM
    _____________________________

“we beat ‘em twice last year.”

Congratulations. That’s your only claim to fame last year.

29. steelerben says: Mar 28, 2014 11:09 AM

Brandon Marshall has come a long way. He recognized that he had a mental illness and has been proactive in taking care of it. He’s even gone as far as pushing the illness to the forefront to help others get the care they need. You have to respect that.

Saying that he doesn’t expect quarterback money and just wants to stay in Chicago makes sense, too. He knows that the cap can only stretch so thin and he knows that the quarterback that he wants to play with, because they are friends in addition to him having the most success in his career with him, has signed his deal to remain with the team. A big signing bonus that is prorated over the course of the deal and a reasonable yearly salary should be more than enough to keep Marshall a Bear.

30. purpleguy says: Mar 28, 2014 11:14 AM

As a Viking fan, I didn’t want to like this guy, but its hard not to. Now as to his QB. . . . . .

31. chicagosports2014 says: Mar 28, 2014 11:17 AM

DO TO INJURIES YA’LL BEAT ROOKIES AND PLAYERS OFF THE STREET. BUT WE GOT PRETTY GOOD DEPT NOW, WHAT YOU THINK?

BEAR DOWN!

32. whatjusthapped says: Mar 28, 2014 11:19 AM

He might want to consider going to team with Qb that doesn’t choke in the clutch. Cutler is not a franchise QB and never will be, the Bears wouldn’t be a serious contender until Jay leaves town. With or without Brandon.

33. thetruthcampaign says: Mar 28, 2014 11:20 AM

The new Lion’s regime won’t slam on the brakes this season with a 40-16 lead, like we had over the Bears in game 4 last season.

The OLD Lions held on to win those 2 games. The new Lions regime will bowl right over the Bears this season.

Even more embarrassing for the Bears/Packers is you were the last two teams we beat before the implosion.

The new guys won’t let there be an implosion this year.

34. southsidetommy says: Mar 28, 2014 11:38 AM

coachkilla6 says:
    Mar 28, 2014 9:58 AM

You really don’t understand what makes a complete football player do you? Marshall is not just a great receiver, but he is hands down the best blocking WR in the league. I like Alshon, he is doing everything he can to emulate Brandon on the field, but he still has a ways to go into becoming a better all-around player.

35. trumb1mj says: Mar 28, 2014 11:41 AM

He’s had his most successful run of his career here. I mean, he’s never made the playoffs but he’s been the closest as a Bear.

36. trumb1mj says: Mar 28, 2014 11:43 AM

Lions are 5-13 against the Bears since ’05, wake up dude!

Lions fans are hilarious!
    ________________________________

Lions are 2-0 against the Bears since 2013.

37. bigpoppa5501 says: Mar 28, 2014 12:06 PM

I like it Brandon…even though I am not a Bear fan, you have a tremendous attitude. Go earn that extension kid!

Nice to hear a high profile athlete not spewing “I am entitled”

38. nicopenelope says: Mar 28, 2014 12:39 PM

As a Packer fan, it’s the first time in years I’m a little concerned the Bears could take the Division. On paper, they improved their defense and they have an excellent offense.

39. danno1212 says: Mar 28, 2014 12:53 PM

I see him getting a new deal. The Bears gave up two third round picks for him, If they had not made the trade and drafted two players with those picks, and let them go after three years that would be considered a failure, so letting him go after three years would also be a failure. I don’t believe Emery will let that happen. Go Bears!

40. larryboodry says: Mar 28, 2014 3:33 PM

One more comment, then I’ll quit hogging the board…

When the Bears traded for Marshall, I was ecstatic, despite his troubled past, and was one of many fans who never believed that stuff about the nightclub brawl right before the trade.

Since then, Marshall has shown tremendous leadership both on the field and in the locker room, and most importantly he has turned his personal life around while helping others do the same.

Those of you who continue to bring up his past or make snide remarks about his illness could learn a little class from him.

Kudos, Brandon Marshall.

41. sportsfan18 says: Mar 28, 2014 3:54 PM

Marshall in negotiations with the Bears…

I don’t want $16 million, $15 million…

I’ll take $14 million a season…

What about having money to get other players Brandon?

Yeah, you’re right. I’ll take $13.5 million…

I’ve got a pen… where do I sign?

Just having fun…

Cutler and Marshall have been a combo for a long time… BOTH in Denver and in Chicago…

I can’t see Cutler being happy if Brandon leaves…

42. v5thnov says: Mar 28, 2014 5:58 PM

I love Brando

43. lcplspieker says: Mar 28, 2014 9:39 PM

Mr Marshal is a class act and a complement to the Bears organization. GSH would be proud. As are all of us who bought his jerseys. Thank you Brandon for giving me a pro athlete I can tell my kids to look up to.

44. avfan67 says: Mar 30, 2014 11:45 PM

A player who’s loyal to their team is rare these days. Brandon, you got my respect.