Marc Trestman’s looking for particular skill set for backup

Trestman Getty Images

The Bears were one of two teams to skip on Johnny Manziel’s pro day workout yesterday, along with the Browns.

But while Cleveland’s playing a weird game of keep away with the quarterback prospects, the Bears simply don’t have a need for a first-round quarterback.

But coach Marc Trestman is looking for another passer after losing veteran Josh McCown, and he has a very specific checklist when looking for one.

“The No. 1 job of the No. 2 quarterback is to be ready to play and to play well,” Trestman said, via Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune. “He has to, . . . the best term is he has to go in and play efficiently. He can’t turn the ball over. He’s got to live for the next play. . . .

“But he’s a very, very important part of your locker room. Because he has to be ready to play efficiently and he’s not going to get the reps to do it. That was the No. 1 value of Josh. It still has to go to his ability to play the game if the No. 1 guy is hurt.”

At the moment, the Bears have Jordan Palmer behind started Jay Cutler, though they’re continuing to see if anything falls out of the tree now that the free agent market is picked over. But Palmer hasn’t thrown a pass in the league since 2010, so the chance of an upgrade is possible. And whoever it is has to be ready to buy into the philosophies of the quarterback whisperer.

“He has to be extremely good in the meeting room,” Trestman said. “Because that meeting room is the most important office in that building. Everything is controlled by the energy in that room and the camaraderie in that room and the karma in that room. So he has to be that guy. That’s really the most important thing. And if he’s doing that, he’s certainly going to be good in the locker room. The guys in that meeting room, in my opinion, have to be locker room guys. They have to be leaders. So that’s what we’re looking for.”

It’s an unorthodox list, but Trestman is an unorthodox coach. But the success he had with Cutler and McCown last year makes it worth giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Marc Trestman’s looking for particular skill set for backup”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 28, 2014 7:47 AM

2. uwsptke says: Mar 28, 2014 7:49 AM

“But our No. 1 guy should be a gun slinging free spirit. A guy who turns the ball over a couple of times per game and believes that vaccines somehow cause autism.”

3. intelligent cement says: Mar 28, 2014 7:54 AM

Looks weird, but the dude is an awesome coach. Bears got it right with that hire.

4. mortwannabe says: Mar 28, 2014 8:25 AM

Trestman will be the next Bill Walsh. You heard it here first.

5. majahpayne8950 says: Mar 28, 2014 8:28 AM

This man is a true guru. How he ended up in Canada is beyond me. But now the Bears have him and if he could do that to McCown then I can’t wait to see what he does to one he handpicks and grooms from scratch.

6. hodag54501 says: Mar 28, 2014 8:39 AM

They better find a good one because only a fool would thing Cutler will make it through the season unhurt.

7. higheriqthanyou says: Mar 28, 2014 8:49 AM

Appropriate picture; Quitler in street clothes likely with a bad case of “I don’t really care”.

8. crik911 says: Mar 28, 2014 8:58 AM

I like Trestman as a QB Guru really I do, I really hope Jay can finish the whole season with some solid protection and we might just have a chance.

9. 46plank says: Mar 28, 2014 9:10 AM

higheriqthanyou says:

Mar 28, 2014 8:49 AM

How original. Courage behind the keyboard is a powerful thing for you isn’t it?

10. mrgreenbird says: Mar 28, 2014 9:12 AM

So he’s looking for Liam Neeson?

11. higheriqthanyou says: Mar 28, 2014 9:14 AM

mortwannabe says:
    Mar 28, 2014 8:25 AM

Trestman will be the next Bill Walsh. You heard it here first
    ********************

You mean like when Walsh came back at Stanford?

12. vicnocal says: Mar 28, 2014 9:20 AM

I still can’t believe that idiot GM, on the first day of free agency, after a season where he missed 5 games, was outplayed by his journeyman backup, and lost a big game at home to the Packers (yet again), gave Cutler $20+million a year, as if some other team out there was going to give that to him & also offer him the chance to play with Marshall, Jeffery, Forte & Co.

13. pete2112 says: Mar 28, 2014 10:10 AM

“As a Lions fan I’m very much happy with the Bears conservative QB grouping. I don’t think this GM/HC combo with Cutler is ever really going to go all the way. I would have been really worried if they traded Cutler in the past for future material in addition to getting in position for a new young franchise QB. Thankfully the brains of this operation will keep them held back for quite some time. Until they get an upgrade at GM/HC they just aren’t much of a threat. They are incapable of thinking outside of the box.”

Are you seriously going to talk about the Bears front office? As a Lions fan you should probably take a look at your own team and the past 20 years of blunders of GM/HC’s they’ve gone through. Does Matt Millen ring a bell? Also, you probably have one of the greatest WR’s in modern history and not one playoff appearance with him. Perhaps they’re not thinking outside of the box too.

14. ytownjoe says: Mar 28, 2014 10:42 AM

A Lion’s fan criticizing any other team’s coaching? Funny.

Mark Trestman is one smart guy.

15. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Mar 28, 2014 11:04 AM

Hopefully that skill set isn’t another backup that is better than Cutler again. I don’t think Bears fans want to keep rooting for him to get injured all the time.

16. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Mar 28, 2014 11:06 AM

mortwannabe says:
    Mar 28, 2014 8:25 AM
    Trestman will be the next Bill Walsh. You heard it here first.
    —————
    Then explain how he was run out of the NFL to go be the coordinator at NC State and then had to go the the CFL to find a job after that?

17. purpleguy says: Mar 28, 2014 11:23 AM

If history is any indication, the Bears better sign a backup that is capable of playing the last few games of each season during Cutler’s contract.

18. kansacity88 says: Mar 28, 2014 11:38 AM

Why do I feel as though A.J. McCarron is gonna be on their draft boards? I mean, hey, if he is, so be it. I wouldnt mind seeing his girlfriend dressed in Bears gear and sitting in SF. The cameras WILL find her……AND his mom!

19. rcali says: Mar 28, 2014 11:45 AM

A “particular skill set?” Has he checked if Liam Neeson is available?

20. fdugrad says: Mar 28, 2014 11:47 AM

I suppose on the Bears, the second string QB is simply expected to be completely the opposite of the current starter. Coach talking about qualities that are foreign to Jay: energy in meeting room, camaraderie, karma, locker room guy…does THAT sound like Cutler?

21. kansacity88 says: Mar 28, 2014 11:51 AM

whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says:
    Mar 28, 2014 11:06 AM
    mortwannabe says:
    Mar 28, 2014 8:25 AM
    Trestman will be the next Bill Walsh. You heard it here first.
    —————
    _________________________________

Well I’m not gonna go so far as to say Trestman will be the next Walsh (LOL) but I WILL say that they both had nearly the same experience. Walsh was damn near run outta the NFL too (he did leave and went to Stanford) because THE Paul Brown didnt want him to be a HC anywhere in the NFL. So you can see some similarities….but I wouldnt call him the next Walsh either, but it’d be nice!

22. randy2054 says: Mar 28, 2014 11:53 AM

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but do not. The Bears still have Jerrod Johnson on the roster? I mentioned this because I know that when Trestman was the head coach of Montréal. He had Johnson on his negotiating list for the Montréal. He thought very highly of him then and then in the middle of last year, after he’d been cut by Seattle and been given tryouts by teams like the Giants Trestman signed Jerrod Johnson to the practice squad in Chicago. As far as I know he was signed to a futures contract for this coming season. Jerrod Johnson has a great many talents that are very similar to Warren Moon and I think given a little patience he could be a true diamond in the rough in the NFL and if not, the NFL certainly the CFL

23. profish13 says: Mar 28, 2014 1:23 PM

I’m not going to say he’s the next Bill Walsh, but Trestman appears to be the real deal.

24. wallyspo says: Mar 28, 2014 2:52 PM

If he falls past the 2nd rd, I would put money on them drafting Jimmy Garoppolo before McCarran. I like McCarran, no doubt, but I like Garoppolo more. I still think Cleveland takes him at 26 though.

25. earpaniac says: Mar 28, 2014 3:14 PM

Yes, Lions fan, hiring a guy who hadn’t been a hc in the NFL, who had been in the CFL for years is thinking inside the box.

26. artworkworld says: Mar 28, 2014 10:35 PM

The thing that really strikes me about this article is what an awesome job Jordan Palmer has. He hasn’t thrown a pass in a game in 3 years & he has probably made about $9 million over those three years. Best job on the world!

27. senorbruce says: Mar 29, 2014 12:12 PM

Leave it to a lions fan to blast Bears GM/HC team. Of course when you consider they have had the wildly successful Matt Millen, the fabulous 0-16 Rod Marinelli show, Stafford/Kitna/Harrington/Batch QB greats, and the shrewd drafting of WR and running backs, I guess he can gloat. Looking for another season when the lions step on their equipment.