Bernard Pierce “right on schedule” with shoulder rehab

Lawrence Timmons, Bernard Pierce AP

Normally, undergoing rotator cuff after the end of the season would put you in the running for the title of worst offseason among your position group.

For the Ravens, though, Ray Rice’s indictment on an aggravated assault charge in New Jersey takes those honors while Bernard Pierce’s rehab has been pushed into the background. The Ravens have shown support for Rice, but there’s a risk of league discipline that could remove Rice from the lineup next season so Pierce’s return to full health is definitely something that Baltimore would like to see sooner rather than later.

Pierce said Saturday that he will be ready to hit the field “definitely by training camp” after January surgery on his right shoulder. He said he got a bit heavy after the operation, but has dropped most of the extra weight and making his way back to full speed.

“I think I’m right on schedule, honestly,” Pierce said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “I’m getting better, man. I’m doing rehab every day. I’m just grinding it out.”

Pierce was mostly ground down in 2013, averaging 2.9 yards per rush as the Ravens’ running game fell flat across the board. Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reported last week that the Ravens were planning to add another back even before Rice’s legal woes, so there may be a variety of the ways for the Ravens to go with or without Rice this fall.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Bernard Pierce “right on schedule” with shoulder rehab”
  1. greymares says: Mar 30, 2014 2:03 PM

Try to get Bryce Brown, Philly won’t need him and he can join his brother.

2. jacobk621 says: Mar 30, 2014 2:33 PM

Ravens def need another RB ,,, Chris Johnson maybe ???

3. SAV says: Mar 30, 2014 3:18 PM

Too many unanswered questions for the 2014 Ravens to win a title but it could be a great year to get the teams holes filled, build chemistry and make a run in ’15…Flacco’s last year as a Raven unless he restructures and resigns.

Ravens need help on the OL, DL, secondary, RB, TE, and WR….

So many defections, its like the plug gets pulled every year and the team is raided.

Ozzie needs to draft better, I know it’s hard to say it but too many busts in the early rounds! Dan Cody, Terrence Cody, Sergio Kindle, Tavares Gooden, the list is endless. A team like the Ravens needs to never take a bad pick in the first two rounds, they can’t afford it because teams are signing away guys every year!

4. steeltownpride says: Mar 30, 2014 3:27 PM

Come on now . You know Ozzy wont let the team down . He is the best GM in the universe right Ravens fans ? LOL Maybe they can use Taylor as a rb since they seem to be thin these days . Hard to fill a roster when your QB takes up a big chunk of it . Nowing the Oz man he will trade down and draft a rb and pick up more picks that will get cut at the end of training camp .

5. Nofoolnodrool says: Mar 30, 2014 3:37 PM

Ravens need help on the OL, DL, secondary, RB, TE, and WR….

So what happened “in Ozzie we trust”? Did you realize like the rest of us that he is human? Boy , down to earth in one season….good job there is hope for you yet.

6. Canton Bulldogs says: Mar 30, 2014 3:42 PM

Unusual analysis SAV considering this was the year the Ravens were given high off season marks for signing back their own. In every single position you mentioned they have their starter, they’re filling in depth.

Keep going with that “endless list” of early round draft busts because I think you just about reached the end of the list over the entire time Oz has been making picks.

7. dcapettini says: Mar 30, 2014 4:44 PM

It seems a little much to charge Ozzie with not drafting well and citing Sergio Kindle as evidence. They guy fell down a flight of stairs! I’m sure the other GMs all could see it coming and Ozzie just had a blind spot. As for Dan Cody, he got hurt. Happens. Every team has draft picks that get hurt early and often and don’t produce. You want Ozzie to be prescient. Travis Taylor? That’s all on him.

8. Nofoolnodrool says: Mar 30, 2014 4:52 PM

As a Steeler fan it’s hard to saying good about the Ravens in light of the current Ray Rice situation, but Ozzie has done a good job for the most part. His job is not an exact science so he deserves the credit he gets, but he shouldn’t be deified as some many of the raven trolls think.

9. ravensbob says: Mar 30, 2014 5:17 PM

As a Ravens fan I can honestly say that the Ravens have not drafted well since Phil savage left to go to clown land. Ozzie gets way too much credit for their success.

10. Canton Bulldogs says: Mar 30, 2014 7:38 PM

Thanks Nofoolnodrool. I bet that was hard to type :). There is no denying that the organization will have a stain from this no matter what they do. Organizations who are perennial contenders have good GMs. We can all at least be glad we don’t have Jerry Jones.

11. Nofoolnodrool says: Mar 30, 2014 7:53 PM

Not hard at all excellence should be recognized not deified. If the raven fans had Ozzie’s class things would be good….that miracle won’t happen.

12. SAV says: Mar 30, 2014 8:46 PM

Kyle Boller, Patrick Johnson, a couple more of Ozzie Newsome’s less then stellar picks.

I support the Ravens but I don’t see how any Ravens fan is challenging my analysis, meanwhile I’d love to know who is the starting Free Safety if Ozzie patched up all the holes and for the love of God please don’t tell me Jeremy Miles is the starting Free Safety.

You can drink purple kool aid till your blue in the face but the fact remains the Ravens are sustaining major losses in free agency and aren’t drafting well enough to make up the difference.

You spend $3million on Steve Smith???? Who the heck pays that kind of dough for a #3 WR!!!???? Arguably #4 WR! Marlon Brown I’d start over Steve Smith!

The Ravens have heavy lifting to do in this draft, they better not screw up and miss out on value. The Steelers are making unbelievable moves with very little cap space!!!!

13. buzzbeaubank says: Mar 30, 2014 9:55 PM

SAV, you’d gladly take DeCosta over Colbert, and you know it.

14. jamesundeee says: Mar 30, 2014 10:24 PM

SAV, you just sound like a pessimist. The Ravens losses in free agency are all, for the most part, being overpaid. However, the Ravens needs are more for depth and not in serious need of a starting position.

These positions I’m referring too are DL, CB, and WR. After losing Jones, there is a gap. However, if you haven’t forgot, he was a 5th round pick. The Ravens have players they are confidant can step up time in the rotation.

Graham left to be a starter and he was given more money. The Ravens could use a draft pick here, but he would only then fall into competition with the other more experienced players.

When we signed Steve Smith, he was paid to be a #2 Receiver, not a 3 or a 4. He will be that, pushing Marlon to the 3 and Jacoby to the 4. This is also due to him being more focused on KR/PR. With Smith’s signing, I don’t want the Ravens taking a WR in the 1st round.

RB is a newer situation and could call for greater attention. Before it was more of a depth issue and now it is a split role/starter type issue. Blount would have made a great pickup, but there are still options out there and in the draft. With the way RB’s are slipping, we could get a playmaker in the 3rd-5th, same as WR.

TE is another situation which I think will soon be solved (hopefully Owen Daniels). However, a TE we would be looking for would be a big player in Kubiak’s scheme, so this is a more glaring need now. Ebron, Amaro or Safarian Jenkins would be nice, but I would like CJ Fedorowitz for his blocking ability (pending Daniels signing). I could also see Juszczyk lining up as a blocker/receiver type situation with Pitta lining up in the slot.

I’m happy with our offensive line situation because I think we can get a great RT in free agency or in the 1st round. Monroe got locked down which is huge, Kelechi is looking healthy and should remain at LG. The signing of Asamoah is an upgrade over Gino. Yanda is Yanda. I’m glad Oher left, and I could see Eric Winston coming back into the scheme which made him seem worthy of a large contract.

An athletic free safety seems to be our most pressing need and one that needs to be signed. I would prefer a FA as so there is not so much youth and inexperience in the back. In that case, we could use a midround pick on a FS.

Overall, I think we have had a great offseason, and as a fan, I’m excited for then draft (1st. RT, 2nd. RB 3rd. FS, 3rd. TE, 4th. WR, 4th. DL, 5th. CB, 6th. QB) and the season.

15. Canton Bulldogs says: Mar 30, 2014 10:32 PM

SAV your comment tells us you are a Steeler fan masquerading as something else. Conversation over.

16. bigdeuceuno says: Mar 31, 2014 12:58 AM

CJ2K could b a very nice piece for us I don’t think rice is going to jail but he may face a league suspension 4 to 6 games so yeah I could c us making that move on picking up CJ2K even if rice won’t b suspended he seems like he’s just not the same guy he once was

17. watermelon1 says: Mar 31, 2014 5:50 AM

Once Pierce gets back on the field, he’s the unquestionable starter. They improved the line, and he’s easily the better runner over rice or any free agents.

If flacco could play better… That would certainly help by not having opponents just play the run all day.